986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Advice: Discolored roll bar padding (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/30939-advice-discolored-roll-bar-padding.html)

ChairmanRon 11-04-2011 05:50 PM

Advice: Discolored roll bar padding

The padding on my 03 986 roll bar is grey and has discolored, taking on a hue which looks like what you would expect with a smoker, but it was not a smoker's car. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this? Thanks!

Ron

DenverSteve 11-05-2011 04:28 PM

I've had an '01 and an '02 and never seen any discoloration on anyone's roll-bar trim. I would guess something's gotten on it. Have you tried cleaning it with anything?

ChairmanRon 11-05-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverSteve (Post 263059)
I've had an '01 and an '02 and never seen any discoloration on anyone's roll-bar trim. I would guess something's gotten on it. Have you tried cleaning it with anything?

The entire gray passing is discolored, not a spill or anything...

MileHighBoxster 11-05-2011 06:00 PM

Can you post a photo? That might help.

blue2000s 11-05-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChairmanRon (Post 262967)
The padding on my 03 986 roll bar is grey and has discolored, taking on a hue which looks like what you would expect with a smoker, but it was not a smoker's car. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this? Thanks!

Ron

You could try a die like forever black. There's also a spray paint by Krylon called fusion that is supposed to bond to plastic. There's also the overlays available from klisstle, one of our board sponsers.

ChairmanRon 11-05-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileHighBoxster (Post 263082)
Can you post a photo? That might help.

You bet -- I'm out of town but will post one next week. I'll do my best to get a shot that captures the discoloration. I have a gray interior, and you can see that the roll bar padding has turned into a color with a hint of brown in it. It's obvious when you see it compared to the seats, which should be the same color. The seats have not discolored.

moneymindr 06-06-2012 10:06 AM

Same problem

I've got the exact problem with my gray interior '03. Did you ever come up with a solution?

Lil bastard 06-06-2012 10:29 PM

When I had my Boxster, I had the same issue on my Savannah Beige rollbar trim. I think it showed better on the Beige than other colors. It cleaned right up with a vinyl cleaner, but would reappear in a month or two.

My 'Aha' moment came after I cleaned it one weekend where I also replaced the Brake Pads. One week after cleaning it, it was dirtier than it had ever been.

The aerodynamics were pulling Brake Dust through the rollbar. Front? Rear? Take your pick.

I swapped the oem pads for some low-dust ones and problem disappeared.

Cheers!