Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2005, 07:26 PM   #1

Let me introduce myself....

Hello All

Chris Walrod here, just registered for this forum. Long time Porschephile currently with a SY993. Mostly used for track days.

Since my wife cannot drive stick, we are now looking for a Boxster [tip] for her to enjoy. Its only fair to share, right? So the hunt is on

As a long time Rennlister, I have gathered some info about the Boxster, even though 99% of my time is spent on the 993 forum. Seems as though the RL Boxster forum is somewhat slow, so I set-out to look for a more active Boxster community.

Looking for a 2000-2002 Tip, preferably Lapis Blue (2001 and up), Cobalt Blue, Seal Grey, or even white. Tip, obviously. Other options are up in the air, so to speak..

Look forward to hanging-out here

2004 Scion xBox
Chris Walrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:54 AM   #2

Welcome to the board. This board is more active than Renn so hopefully we can help you out in your search or answer some Qs.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 05:35 AM   #3

Chris, if you must buy a tip for the wife, buy and S and get that extra HP. Drive a non-S and then an S tiptronic and you'll see what I mean.

That tranny just slows the car down a little and the higher HP really fixes the problem.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:48 AM   #4

I can likely help you out on finding a Box to your spec. Feel free to check out my site at www.belloffmotorworks.citymaker.com.

I don't have any Boxsters in stock right now but many are coming off lease on 7/21.

Good luck and thanks for joining our site.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:18 AM   #5

Welcome to the board!
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:28 AM   #6

Hey Rich, would this be model year 2002's mainly? Or a wide variety of years (e.g. 2003)? Why the big wave on this particular date? Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
...I don't have any Boxsters in stock right now but many are coming off lease on 7/21...
ho2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:53 AM   #7

I'm teaching my friend err (who is a girl) anyhooo she's going to learn to drive a stick in my six speed BoxsterS. The Porsche club is going to have an autocross in a few weeks and I plan to use one of the nearby vacant lots for a quick lesson.

Women can drive "stick shifts". It makes them better drivers. Actually a few weeks ago a friend drove me home and her father owns a BoxsterS also, well she drove this car of mine in stilleto heels and I mean she was DRIVING it. Dropping the clutch at 4,000 RPM. She was making a few mistakes like keeping her hand on the clutch instead of holding fast to the 9 and 3 (o'clock) steering wheel grip. But hey what do you expect. Danica Patrick?

If your wife can drive a trip she can definitely drive a manual.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:07 AM   #8

Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty big mistake. She must have the arms of a chimp!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
...She was making a few mistakes like keeping her hand on the clutch instead of holding fast to the 9 and 3 (o'clock) steering wheel grip...
ho2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:51 PM   #9

Agree with Perfectlap. Don't sell your wife short on learning to drive a stick and enjoying it.

Twenty-five years ago, I taught my wife (then girlfriend) to drive a stick shift in a fully loaded U-Haul rental truck at 1:00 am in the empty parking lot of a closed supermarket just outside of Solvang.

We were moving down from Berkeley, southbound on the 101. We'd packed and I had loaded the truck that day. I was getting tired, and it was time for her to take a turn driving.

She had never touched a manual transmission before then. After the usual stalling until she figured out the clutch pedal position, she got the hang of it in about ten minutes. After that it was smooth sailing, except for a few times trying to pull away from a stop in third.

Now, she enjoys driving a stick. So, my recommendation, go rent a U-Haul for the weekend and have fun. It's like learning to type on a manual typewriter (if you're old enough to know what I mean). Once you can do that, you can fly on an electronic keyboard.

Last edited by SoCal; 07-08-2005 at 06:31 AM.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 12:05 AM   #10

Good yarn...

I'm teaching the g/f how to drive stick this w/e in the parking lot at work on my BMW convertible. Frankly, the Box is a hell of alot easier car to row in then the BMW, so maybe i should teach her in it...(yeah right).

Funny you mentioned U-Haul, because when i drive the BMW these days, the throws feel so long it's like I'm driving a big-rig.

SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote