Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2003, 07:07 AM   #1
Forum Member

2003 Boxster S options

Hello everyone

I'm considering the purchase of a 2003 Boxster S and I am wondering if anyone can give me any information in regards to some of the options. I plan to ask the dealer. However, I don't always trust their information.

Specifically, I am interested to know how if it is unusual to find the incoming 2003 Boxster S fitted with the Sport Chassis and Sport Exhaust options. The ones I've seen on the dealer websites do not have these options. And, I'm also interested to know if these options really improve one's driving experience of the car.

Finally, I am curious how beneficial (or irritating) the Porsche Stability Management is. I plan to do occasional autocrosses and track days.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob Shearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 03:01 AM   #2
Forum Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to Frankster
Hello Bob,

by now in germany there is no sport exhaust available for MJ03. Theres just an extension mount for the muffler available, but this produces no sound improvement.
the sport chassis m030 is great, it just changed a little from the 2002'er Boxster. It will be kinda stiff combined with 18" wheels, but gives U the most driving pleasure.
PSM is worth the money. esp. when it's raining, U can go much faster and with less stress then having no psm. PSM steps compared to std. esp system very late in action, so U can feel some drifting with psm on. But when U drive tight winding roads up, it's more fun disabling psm.
if U live in a real sunny region, and U are a good driver, U can might save the few bucks for the psm.

regards,
frank
Frankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 07:47 AM   #3

Thumbs up Boxster options!

You really need to ask yourself what you really want to do with the car. Having owned 5 Porsches, including 2 911's with the optional Sports suspension and 18 inch wheels, I can say that this combination certainly isn't for everyone. In fact, my wife refused to ride in my C4S because in her view the ride was unacceptably harsh. For an everyday driver like I have now, I prefer the standard suspension and 17 inch wheels. In fact during the winter I mount 16 inch wheels with the snow tires and I must admit this gives a much smoother ride. So, if you plan on driving 200 to 300 miles each week like I do, you may want to think twice about the Sports suspension with the 18 inch wheels. This is a great track set up, but pretty unforgiving on the streets. Good Luck with your purchase.
William Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 09:36 AM   #4
Forum Contributor

oh, I forgot something, if U just go by looks. order the car with std. suspension and install progressive springs for e.g. from h&r combined with the original dampers. this will produce a lower riding height, but still more every comfort then the M03 sport suspension.

regards,
frank
Old 03-24-2003, 07:51 PM   #5
Forum Member

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I currently own a BMW 740i with sports package and a MR2 Spyder with an aftermarket suspension. In the past I've owned a 93 Rx-7 with R-1 package and a 97 BMW M-3. I would expect the Boxster with the suspension you describe will rival the Rx-7 for stiffness -- it was uncomfortabley so.

If I get a Boxster it will definitely be an everyday car, so I'll think hard about this choice. I do the odd driving school and autocross, but I really don't have lots of time to devote to it. If I decide to get a used one, is the current 030 option the same for the last few model years?

Thanks,

Bob
Bob Shearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 09:59 AM   #6
Forum Contributor

well, as far I know there was just a little improvement for new 2003'er Boxster modells. The M03 is very good, track tests with far lowered aftermarked suspensions showed that there is no significant advantage for aftermarked products. There's more the danger that U don't get such a fine for the boxster adjusted suspension then the M03.
Track freaks swear on M03 combined with Wendland springs. These are modified h&r springs. But they are no more delivered so far. The combination of std. suspension with h&r springs results in hight comfort. Some say due the progressive springs the suspension respongs more sensible then the std. suspension.

good luck for your choice
frank