986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   A visit to the local dealer (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/30697-visit-local-dealer.html)

Ghostrider 310 10-19-2011 01:49 AM

A visit to the local dealer

I went to the dealer yesterday to look at how the PDK shifts on the wheel. I sat in a used 911 cabrio, I couldn't believe how whipped it was, the front rims were nearly black with brake dust, whoever owned it didn't baby it. Anyhow, the guy says there is an optional steering wheel from Porsche that has the upshift/downshift on opposite sides, anyone have one of those? I told the guy about L&N and the IMS work they had done, he seemed genuinely interested. All he had to say about the M96 was essentially "whoopsie" in a sales professional manner.

Also, I would like to hear from all PDK drivers, the good, the bad and the ugly..

In case I go a different brand, what do you guys think of a ride like this:

Aston Martin | eBay

RandallNeighbour 10-19-2011 09:17 AM

I could be wrong, but I don't think you'll find a lot of PDK owners here. But I'd like to hear from PDK owners too since I'm headed that direction with my next Porsche.

That Aston looks sweet. Color's totally wrong for a guy, but the car is quite nice looking and has a lot of class. What I don't know is much of anything about an Aston's reliability or cost for maintenance.

Plus, it's not mid-engine and that makes it a totally different animal, really. But if you just want a very cool looking performance convertible for work and light driving, it would easily fit the bill.

I've decided on a 997 turbo next go-round, and one with PDK so the wife will approve the purchase (so she can drive it). My bet is that I'll enjoy it on the track more too not having to worry about missing a downshift.

Topless 10-19-2011 10:43 AM

When I drive a PDK car the steering wheel buttons seem unnecessary and annoying. Maybe I could get used to them after a while. I leave it in auto and just poke the shift lever to downshift entering a corner. PDK corner exit is fantastic.

Ghostrider 310 10-19-2011 11:09 AM

If I don't enjoy shifting the PDK, I won't really enjoy the car. I appreciate the responses, I'm still trying to get my mechanic the IMS info on L&N or try to see if just putting a new engine in the Box is cheaper. Then hopefully, in dead winter, I can find my next sports car.

blue2000s 10-19-2011 12:10 PM

I've driven my friend's PDK C4S a few times. He's got the steering wheel buttons but is considering the paddles if he keeps the car.

This is with the 385 bhp 3.8L. The shifts are normally so smooth they're almost imperceptible. On full throttle, you can feel the shift, but it's still relatively smooth.

In normal, around town driving, it's an automatic. Shifting while just driving around or commuting just feels pointless. The transmission picks the right gear 99% of the time anyway. Actually, even driving agressively, manual shifting still feels mostly pointless, like you're doing it just to do it, not because the car needs a different gear from what it's already in. I haven't had the car on the track, but my friend has, he says that he pretty much lets the car decide what gear to be in then too. Again, this engine has ALOT of torque, so it might be different for the other cars, but to me, this is just an alternative to a normal auto transmission.

Shifting this car has no mechanical connection, it's like pressing a button to change the radio station. So I'm not sure how much anyone can really enjoy shifting these transmissions.

Thinking about it, Porsche has just done a really good job of marketing this transmission as something special. It was in Audis and VWs a few years before Porsche got it and now the double clutch gearbox is even available in Hyundais. I think we're just looking at the new automatic transmission, just more efficient technology and without the stigma.

Topless 10-19-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 261143)
If I don't enjoy shifting the PDK, I won't really enjoy the car. I appreciate the responses, I'm still trying to get my mechanic the IMS info on L&N or try to see if just putting a new engine in the Box is cheaper. Then hopefully, in dead winter, I can find my next sports car.

If shifting is part of your joy driving a sports car, just get a manual gearbox. The PDK is a really really good automatic including rev matched downshifts. Shifting it manually seems like I am just getting in it's way.

Ghostrider 310 10-19-2011 04:56 PM

I was taught to shift at age seven, my dad used to allow my brother and I to drive on his lot in otherwise junker cars. I love a manual gearbox but due to my health, my left leg will no longer accommodate it. I don't think I'm going to enjoy PDK and I just don't want an automatic sports car..

blue2000s 10-19-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 261177)
I was taught to shift at age seven, my dad used to allow my brother and I to drive on his lot in otherwise junker cars. I love a manual gearbox but due to my health, my left leg will no longer accommodate it. I don't think I'm going to enjoy PDK and I just don't want an automatic sports car..

In my mind, if you're not pushing a clutch pedal and moving a gear lever, it's an automatic. PDK is an advanced automatic, but it's still an automatic.

Ghostrider 310 10-20-2011 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2000s (Post 261180)
In my mind, if you're not pushing a clutch pedal and moving a gear lever, it's an automatic. PDK is an advanced automatic, but it's still an automatic.

I know Blue, I know... I'm giving a 1971 Fiat Sport Spider that was given to me by my now very ill dad to my brother........ I know... It's either a PDK or no more sports driving at all. Frankly, it's likely over for me, I might use have to use any Porsche money to live anyway, my work days are finished. I just wish I was strong enough to pull the M96 and fix the thing. May have the throw the spring kegger of all time, get half this BB to NY spread the engine all over the backyard then reassemble...

Ghostrider 310 10-20-2011 10:26 AM

I stopped in to my regular mechanic, gave him the Bentley manual on loan and the Excellence magazine with the M96 saga in it. I'm not sure he's going to do it. So if any of you guys think you can handle a IMS bearing job, I may strongly consider shipping the engine out for a paid repair...

m332is 10-20-2011 02:53 PM

I drove my friend's new Turbo S w the PDK and paddles. Very cool. I have been a long time stick guy, but my next car will be PDK. 3rd pedal or not, it's the real deal... until the computer craps out :)

I would much rather have the paddles vs the buttons. Pulling the paddles to get lightning fast shifts is awesome. Then again it was a Turbo S.

Vince

blue2000s 10-20-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 261233)
I stopped in to my regular mechanic, gave him the Bentley manual on loan and the Excellence magazine with the M96 saga in it. I'm not sure he's going to do it. So if any of you guys think you can handle a IMS bearing job, I may strongly consider shipping the engine out for a paid repair...

I had mine done at a shop, but from what I understand, LN's instructions are very clear. If the shop can handle a clutch job, they should be able to do the IMS replacement.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Things have a way of turning out, keep a positive attitude if you can.

RandallNeighbour 10-20-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 261233)

LN Engineering has a list of mechanics around the country who do the retrofit...