Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #1

Which body kit, nav & headlights for upcoming 986 purchase?

For the kit, I want something that looks similar to this:

What kit is this and how much is it? If it available in (hopefully urethane) replica, and how much for that?

Moving on to navs, what's a good nav system that fits? I like Pioneer navs, but any other good one will do.

Finally, how much for used HID headlights, and is there just 1 type? I'd prefer the 997 lights - how much are those and how do I get em to fit?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by EightySixer; 10-16-2011 at 09:16 PM.
EightySixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
Ex Esso kid

The front looks like Gemballa gear
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #3

If it doesn't make the car stop faster, go faster or corner better, forget it.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #4

I think its the "tech art style" front bumper and side skirts.

I'd be cautious however as the fitment doesn't look too good. Take a look at the shadow being casted to the right of the headlight. It almost looks like the fender around the headlight is protruding from the bumper causing for an odd shadow line.
Appleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #5

The first kit you should buy for your upcoming purchase is the Flat6 Innovations IMS kit. Assuming it doesn't have it already. Take care of the engine before doing cosmetics.

That 996 2002 facelift will cost you a big chunk of change. New fenders, bumper, healdights, I think hood, some stuff behind the bumper and the bodyshop labor will be steep. I'm guessing the headlights alone will set you back close to $2,500 and buying used headlights is a really unwise move. That kind of dough is not something you want to do without a warranty. You are better off buying a Boxster that already has a 2002 facelift unless you own your own bodyshop.
I would suggest going with the factory GT3 MK1 front bumper which is much more fluid than that Tech-Art design that really clashes with the underlying design of the Boxster. It really looks bolted on like something you see in the toy car aisle at Target. I think the GT2 bumper would have been better but that's fibgerglass. The RUF bumper is also nice but also expensive and that's if you can find it.

As far as Navigation systems the AVIC series from Pioneer seem to be popular with Carrera and Boxster audio types looking for a double DIN solution. I think they're nice but in six months they're obsolete and way over-priced. My Android phone has better nav/audio software just suction cupped to the windwhield like a portable GPS. and no break-ins because I take it with me.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
Ex Esso kid

Given Porsche's answers to the rest of us I'd take perfectlap's advise as sage information.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightySixer View Post
For the kit, I want something that looks similar to this:

What kit is this and how much is it? If it available in (hopefully urethane) replica, and how much for that?

Moving on to navs, what's a good nav system that fits? I like Pioneer navs, but any other good one will do.

Finally, how much for used HID headlights, and is there just 1 type? I'd prefer the 997 lights - how much are those and how do I get em to fit?

Thanks guys!
The front bumper is a Techart knock-off made from FRP. In addition, it's designed to fit '02 and up ('01 and up if it's a turbo) 996 headlights. Moreover, it will require changing out the front fenders as well. The side skirts are also made out of FRP, and the side air intakes are from Kokeln Racing . You can find these items on the following sites:

Porsche body kit | Carrera body kit | boxster body kit| cayman body kit |
KOKELN :: Racing Products

p.s. If it's something that you really like , the same bumper is available to fit the 986 headlights and fenders as well .

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 10-17-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #8

What you're wanting to do will probably cost you about $10k by the time you get done. What others haven't mentioned is the CF hood intakes and the suspension mods to drop the car, which are probably coilovers. Those rims alone are $1500 or more.

Pioneer makes a great nav unit and someone on this forum sells a surround for it that fits the dash beautifully and I think they have it in shiny black and flat black too.

Eightysixer, you're probably not going to listen to me or anyone else, but you're about to piss away far more than the car is worth on mods, not realizing that older boxsters require a LOT of replacement parts and have very expensive issues to sort out that first year or two of ownership unless the previous owner can hand you a 2-3 inch thick file with all the bits he's replaced on the car because they've worn out or cracked due to age or heat or both.

The 986s and 996s were the first of a new breed of car for Porsche and they decided to use lightweight plastic pieces for many of the things that were made of stainless steel or aluminum on previous cars they produced.

Now this indeed dropped weight, which is what they boasted as the reason for using so much plastic in the cars. However, it also gave them a very healthy profit margin and guaranteed LOTS of replacement part sales for many years to come.

If you buy a 986, you should budget for at least $2,000 a year for repairs and maintenance for the first two years. If you don't need it, great! However, I'd put money on the line and bet you that if you buy a 986 you will discover you need a MAF, or oxygen sensors, or a wheel bearing or two, or you'll need to replace the coolant overflow tank, or just normal maintenance items like brake pads, discs, and tires. The discs should be swapped out with every other pad replacement on average, and they should not be turned if deeply scored.

I've got $38k in a boxster worth $9,500 on a good day if I sold it to a kid without any common sense and a pocket full of cash and no dad or brother to talk him out of it. I'd caution you not to do what I did over the course of the last eight years, which is to dump enough money to buy a much nicer Porsche into an old boxster to make it look cool and actually run smoothly and not creak and squeak and billow smoke.

I'll not attempt to talk you out of buying a boxster, but I will caution you to think about the car itself for the first few years before you drop ten large to make it look more aggressive.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 10-18-2011 at 08:52 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
Ex Esso kid

Thank you Randall, I no longer fear having to scrap my 986 if I'm wrong about the needed repair. I'd cry if I had over a 100 in it, the car that has over 100 in it better have a prancing black stallion or at least a GT3 on it.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #10

If you'd a bought a newer/nicer Porsche....you'd a dumped a bunch of money into that too. All Porsches need expensive maintenance and all Porsche owners love blowing money on upgrades. Front engine Porsche, Midengine Porsche, rear engine Porsche. At least you picked the Porsche that sets the bar for its class, can't say the same about the other Porsches. I'd also say you kept your hobby to the lowest possible cost given what you could have spent fixing and upgrading a pricier Pcar. A guy with a 996 Turbo that he bought "cheap" will talk your ear off about how he could have bought a Boxster or Cayman on all the major maintenance he had to do. That's my indy mechancis words not mine. Owning a Porsche for the long haul is a question of expensive or more expensive or holy **** I could have bought a condo in Florida...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
I've got $38k in a boxster worth $9,500 on a good day if I sold it to a kid without any common sense and a pocket full of cash and no dad or brother to talk him out of it. I'd caution you not to do what I did over the course of the last eight years, which is to dump enough money to buy a much nicer Porsche into an old boxster to make it look cool and actually run smoothly and not creak and squeak and billow smoke.

I'll not attempt to talk you out of buying a boxster, but I will caution you to think about the car itself for the first few years before you drop ten large to make it look more aggressive.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-18-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #11

"Owning a Porsche for the long haul is a question of expensive or more expensive or holy **** I could have bought a condo in Florida..."

HAHAHAHAHA! ROFL!

So true. Perfectlap!

Ghostrider, I'll eventually have $100k in my boxster if I keep it long enough, and so will you! Sheesh, I'm 40% of the way there.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #12
Ex Esso kid

You're wrong, I'll never have 100 k in my 1998 Boxster, if I had trump money the answer would be the same.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #13

What you're saying then is that you don't plan to keep your boxster (and drive it frequently and keep it running) for another 30+ years.

I can see that. You'll probably spend $100k on the cars(s) you drive over the next 20 years though if you trade your box in on something nicer and then trade that on something nicer.

$100k isn't hard to spend. That's just two pre-owned German cars or one new S class MB or M5 or Carrerra S.

If I allocate $2000 a year for maintenance/fuel/insurance on my Boxster and I keep it for 30 years, that's $60k. Even if the car doesn't need any repairs, the cost of ownership ain't cheap.

Should you buy a car with a prancing stallion on it, the annual allocation will be far higher, no? Then the 100K will be 200K in a much shorter span of time all things considered.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 10-18-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #14
Ex Esso kid

No, my POS needs a new IMS at 30k or perhaps a new engine. I'd never near 100K fixing it, I'd rather ask the Atlanta FD to do a controlled burn right in front of Porsche USA's front door, sig heil this company of zero ethics and soul.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #15

Ah, I see exactly what you mean now.

Should you do that controlled burn, I will fly in for it. Seriously. Have you any idea how much media coverage you could get with that? Just saying you were going to do it to one local news station and it would be syndicated all over the world!

I was that pissed at Porsche last year, but I'm so upside down in my car there's no looking back now. When (not if, WHEN) my M96 motor blows, I'm going to "upgrade" it to an LS1 and have a "frankenV8Porsche" with more torque than a turbo. That'll make the car one fun sleeper!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #16
Ex Esso kid

Randall, I would love to torch it right in front of their place. My cousin has done the work of keeping my dad out of the home that I can no longer physically do, I'm duty bound to fix my Boxster and give it to her but I don't have the strength to use my mechanical knowledge. I'm sincerely hoping it's just an IMS because it still runs fine. Perhaps if the fix is easy and not 3K I will feel good enough to look for the PDK unit, I miss shifting already but I love walking more than ever in my life, every step is gold.