986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Car wash? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/30623-car-wash.html)

DerrickCaracter 10-12-2011 07:56 AM

Car wash?

Has anyone put their boxster through a car wash? Or is this a big nono

paulcbiggs 10-12-2011 09:09 AM

car wash

I have and will never do it again. Drove through the type with the cloth that dangles and moves back and forth thinking I should be okay. Well, it took a friend with a set of good eyes to let me know I have swirl marks in my clear coat. They were removed with a good waxing.

I hand wash exclusively. :cheers:

gmboxster 10-12-2011 11:21 AM

Has anyone put their boxster through a car wash? Or is this a big nono ?

YES, a big no-no. At least for me anyway. Always wash by hand.

schnellman 10-12-2011 11:45 AM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

I have never and will never put any P car in a car wash. Always by hand.

thstone 10-12-2011 11:53 AM

I'll admit that I've used the car wash on occasion when I can't hand wash it. No problems. Car looks perfectly fine.

Perfectlap 10-12-2011 01:03 PM

it's a big nono because you should never put car wash detergent on your soft top. That's for paint only. You should use Ragtopp to wash the canvas top. Using soap burries dust into the canvas fibers and with the up and down movement of the top the threads starts to crease and fray.

Buy some Optimum No-Rinse (1 ounce in 1 gallon of water) and wipe down your car with a waffle weave towel. There are plenty of YouTube videos of this including one guy with a Ferrari 360. I don't recommend washing with suds too often, you'll wreck the paint. Too much contact.

tuanle16 10-12-2011 01:09 PM

i have to honestly admit, i routinely do it. no problems yet. but then again, i'm not as detailed as most on this forum. although, i feel as if i am detail oriented, when i finally met some of the forum members, they put me to shame.

DenverSteve 10-12-2011 04:34 PM

There are different types of automatic car washes. All, in my opinion, are too high pressure to be used with convertibles. Once in a while it probably won't do any damage but I don't know of any convertible vehicles that don't tell you to stay away from high-pressure washes.

WhipE350 10-12-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuanle16 (Post 260388)
i have to honestly admit, i routinely do it. no problems yet. but then again, i'm not as detailed as most on this forum. although, i feel as if i am detail oriented, when i finally met some of the forum members, they put me to shame.

Guess now I don't have to say I know I guy that does ;). Really though yours looks pretty good and that aftermarket top still seems perfect.

Paul 10-12-2011 05:48 PM

I run mine through a touchless Laser Wash in the winter when the hardtop is on. No issues.