986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Coolant leaking wet carpet (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/30565-coolant-leaking-wet-carpet.html)

Bellster 10-06-2011 08:11 PM

Coolant leaking wet carpet

Hi I have a coolant leak somewhere its leaking into the inside of car left hand side. Making my carpet wet where is it coming from what needs replacing thanks for any help stressing :( !!!!! My steering wheel is on the RIGHT side LOL.....

DenverSteve 10-06-2011 11:38 PM

A frequent cause of coolant leak is hairline cracks in the reservoir. Start there and work down the system. I would let a mechanic do it but you may have the time and/ or inclination to do it yourself.

Flavor 987S 10-07-2011 03:18 AM

Your AC condensation drain is pluged, and leaking into your car, is my guess. Are you sure it's coolant? When the AC is running, do you see it draining under the car?

JFP in PA 10-07-2011 07:42 AM

Flavor is most likely correct; unless you can confirm that the wetness contains coolant (it has a pronounced smell and oily feel), your AC system drains are plugged and condensation is dripping inside the car rather than underneath it.

If it does turn out to be coolant, it will be your heater core leaking, the coolant tank cannot leak into the passenger compartment. Fortunately, the Boxster has to be one of the easiest heater cores to swap out, so even that would not be a major issue.

Perfectlap 10-07-2011 08:03 AM

Can you tell from the hashmark if the coolant level is low ? I had a slow leak until it all came out and the dash started blinking one morning. The mechanics found a hairline crack in the tank.
The coolant had been flushed a year eralier and it's possible that some air was in the line and caused the rupture. That's just a guess based on what one forum member said is a common occurence a year after a flush. Either way that's a common issue on these cars and the repair is pricey depending labor. $300 for the part and about the same or more to replace the coolant.

JFP in PA 10-07-2011 08:10 AM

Guys, he has a leak inside the passenger's compartment...........

Flavor 987S 10-07-2011 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bellster, this might help you, Just flip for ROW car:

Bellster 10-08-2011 09:25 PM

Its is coolant its green colour carpet wet green colour and red light comes on dash to top up coolant so YES coolant.... Still can't find about to pull everthing apart thanks for all the help well let ya know how I go...:(

Mrmaddbrad 10-08-2011 10:12 PM

Heater core?

Bellster 10-08-2011 10:28 PM

Drainage lines all clear so what now will it be the heater core leaking if so where do I look now to find leak ?? No leakages for tanks all holding coolant !!

JFP in PA 10-09-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellster (Post 260095)
Drainage lines all clear so what now will it be the heater core leaking if so where do I look now to find leak ?? No leakages for tanks all holding coolant !!

Fastest way is to pressure test the system while opening up the cowl area from the front trunk. The pressure test will confirm the cooling system is leaking with in moments, looking down into the compartment containing the heater core should visually confirm that is where the leak is. From there it is a matter of swapping out parts and purging the air from the cooling system, it is also a good time to do a complete cooling system dump and refill..........

Bellster 10-09-2011 05:54 PM

Thanks heaps guys new heater core coming from US under $300 with shippment to the front door...Let you know how it goes but Boxster in shed till part replaced...

Bellster 10-20-2011 10:06 PM

Heater core fitted 2 hours labour, now clean up carpet.....;)

Bellster 10-20-2011 10:08 PM

All good heater core fitted 2 hours labour, now clean up carpet....