Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 08:17 AM   #1

Garage
Hazy soft top window :( And small rip

I know there's a way to get all of the white haze out of the plastic windows. Does anyone know how?

Is there a special product or anything? Some one help

OH, and theres a small, one inch rip in the plastic, could I use any sort of resin to seal it back up?

Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #2

There is a product called VLP Vinyl Repair that you can get at the hardware store that will seal up the tear.
To restore the clearness there are lots of products on the market that everyone uses. Do a search in the forum for plastic rear windows.
I use the Porsche Polyglass Polish, and Plexus to maintain my plastic rear window.
It will take a lot of work to get an abused plastic window looking clear again. Keep it that way by never wiping or cleaning it dry. Every time you touch it with anything, it will scratch it. Even running your finger across it will scratch it. To clean the window, I use the hose to blast off as much of the dirt as possible with water. Then I use a soapy clean sponge to gently wipe the window clean, followed by a rinse with the hose. I remove the water drops with a synthetic chamois. Remember, anytime you touch the window with anything, it will scratch it. The plastic is so soft there is no way to avoid it.
A dirty clear window is better than a clean scratched up and hazy window. The trick is to minimize the damage when you clean it, and to bring it back the clearness with the polishing products. Plexus has UV inhibitors and plastisizers in it to help keep the plastic from getting brittle and yellow.
If your top is in good condition, another way to go is to get a new window sewn in, then you can start out from square one with a clear window.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #3

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
If your top is in good condition, another way to go is to get a new window sewn in, then you can start out from square one with a clear window.
know anyone local who can do that?

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave928 View Post
know anyone local who can do that?
Haven't had to do it yet since I'm still on the original window. It still looks good even though it is going on 12 years old.
If I were to get it done, Convertibles Only has good reviews, and Durham's has been around forever. I'm sure there are lots of places that can do a good job, but I haven't had an opportunity to use any of them yet. Drop by a few shops and see what they have to say.

edit: Just did some snooping around on the net. Mac's Upholstery up in Ballard has window replacement for $385 (starting price) and they even have a Boxster picture in their ad.
http://www.mactops.com/convertible_tops.htm
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 10-02-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #5

Any auto/marine upholstery shop can do this for you.