Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2005, 04:56 PM   #1

Delivery delays (long)

I would very much appreciate opinions on my current situation as the wait for my car goes on four months. I'm trying to decide whether to walk away from the deal, buy an in-stock car someplace else (at a substantially higher discount) and demand my deposit back.

I ordered an '05 987S on 3/19. Dealer told me on 4/29 that the car was being completed 5/2 and would arrive in late May. On 6/1, he told me car was on vessel that day (incorrect) and that it would arrive in late June. On June 22, he said car was completed 6/1 (denied mention of 5/2), had missed 6/13 boat and didn't know when it would arrive. He said he could do nothing more and I should call PCNA. By the way, I have NEVER received a call from this salesperson keeping me up to date on the car's status. I have had to initiate every call. I also spoke to the dealership GM, who was also not helpful. When I told him I might have to cancel the deal and get my deposit back, he said something like, "We'll see about that."

I finally linked up with PCNA regional manager who said car's production was moved from 5/2 to 6/1 (wouldn't give a reason) and that Boxsters have been delayed by about three weeks (wouldn't give a reason). Today, she is claiming the car is expected to be on a boat leaving next week and claims it could arrive at the dealer by 7/15. I have heard these stories before. Meanwhile, I have seen a number of people who have taken delivery when they ordered their cars at the same time or after I did. I'm now wondering whether my car was damaged and repaired.

I'm not married to this particular car. I have found a number of other in-stock vehicles that I could have right now for substantial discounts. My dealer contract says "May Production, June Delivery," but it also says "this order is not subject to cancellation," the dealer is not responsible for manufacturer delays and that if I cancel, the dealer can keep the deposit as damages. However, the dealer also failed to sign my copy of the contract, which states "this order shall not become binding until accepted by dealer or his authorized representative." From what I understand, the contract isn't valid unless the buyer receives a fully executed copy. Here in NY, they say a contract is a contract and there are no laws requiring return of a deposit at this point, except for cars that are financed.

I have asked PCNA to back me up if I choose to get the deposit back and to see if they can arrange some incentives (free merchandise, etc.) for me to go through with the deal. They are mute on both points.

Finally, I learned after I ordered the car that this dealer has a truly bad customer service record with the VWs and Audis that it also sells (couldn't find anything for Porsche, although three brands are sold from the same facility). There are a number of horror stories posted on the web about cars leaving the service facility with hardly any oil, salespeople and techs lying, etc. Now, I'm also worried about prep and delivery through this dealership.

I would like to buy another in-stock car right now, but I'd rather not lose my deposit. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:11 PM   #2

Try to mellow out a little. The contract has a June delivery date. July 15 is just two more weeks, and not an unreasonable additional time to wait for the seller's performance.

I know they told you to expect an earlier delivery, but no judge is going to get excited about a delivery two weeks after the contract date.

You should know that there is a difference between "canceling" a contract because you've changed your mind and "terminating" the contract due to seller's breach. If the delay goes a significant time beyond July 15, consider the latter.

You still would have to see Judge Wapner in small claims court to try to get your deposit back. No sure thing there, depending on what your contract says.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:08 PM   #3

Sympathize with your frustration. I went through a similar situation. While there is no excuse for the lack of communication from the dealer, there are things that affect production (in my case, it was a port fire where they loaded the cars on to the ship). Like you I ended up buying at a dealership that I would have avoided had I known more about them before, and the only updates I got were when I could catch them myself on the phone. However, at the end of the deal, I got the brand new car I wanted, made exactly the way I wanted, with nobody else having driven it, etc. The cars come filled with oil, etc. so you don't have to worry about that. Just be sure to do a thorough walk around on the car when you pick it up so you're comfortable with the condition before you pay and leave. Once you give them the big check, their incentive to make you happy really diminishes.

Hopefully you'll be driving the car in just a short period of time and this will all be just a memory... good luck!
Old 07-01-2005, 07:19 AM   #4

Great advice from both of you. Many thanks!
Old 07-02-2005, 08:36 AM   #5

Once the car's in my hands, I'll be more than happy to reveal the name. The funny thing is that this salesperson was the most accommodating among a number of Long Island dealers, even though I've had to initiate every single call to him since I put down my deposit.

Another dealership kept me waiting almost an hour for a pre-arranged (a week earlier!) test drive (as I'm standing there like a schmuck with checkbook in hand). I walked out. A second said they had a 987 S on the floor, but refused to do a test drive. A third said Saturdays were "inconvenient" for them and that I should come back during the week (when I work to pay for the Porsche).

Let's just say for now that if I had wanted to skip all of these dealers, I would have had to go to Manhattan or Riverhead next.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
My dealer "Isringhausen" from Springfield, IL provided the worst car buying experience I have ever had. The salesmen took 10 days to answer an email, the car arrived a month late (to Isring. credit, the factory did fall behind schedule) and the truck they put it on became stranded at a weight station because it didn't have some kind of safety equipment. HOWEVER, the moment "Lola" came off the truck it was all worth it!!! Hang in there, you have waited this long. Make sure you publish the name of the dealer on this forum and send a letter to the dealership. I plan on doing exactly the same thing. Don't buy from ISRINGHAUSEN in Springfield, IL. Spending that much money on a car I expect a higher level of customer service than I would buying a base model Saturn from a Saturn dealer right?

One more thing and this is just my humble opinion, I would not buy a showroom model that has been test driven. I remember my test drive and I definitely did not show any concern for the car. There is break-in procedures and I did not follow those guidelines. If you buy a car with 100 miles off the show room floor, just think how many people have completely flogged that car. If you look under "General Discussion" and "Break-in Procedures/Waxing" there is some good discussion on buying floor models. Good luck and keep the faith.
Not to be a contrarian, but I don't think the post above has supported a blanket condemnation of the Springfield dealership.

There are no facts showing any blame by the dealership regarding the delay in the delivery of the car -- rather, the dealership is absolved for the delivery delays. And when the car was delivered, everything was fine with the vehicle -- just as ordered.

So what if there was a delay in answering an e-mail? Do you know that the e-mail was read and then intentionally ignored? If it had been answered sooner, would you have received valuable information that you would have acted upon? If you don't get an answer to an e-mail as soon as you expect, pick up the phone and call.

Then you say you didn't show any concern for the vehicle on your test drive, as if that's not something to be ashamed of? If there is any blame for the dealership in your entire post, it is in their apparent failure to stop irresponsible people from mistreating their cars on test drives.

Sorry if I sound preachy, but that post struck me the wrong way.

Last edited by SoCal; 07-03-2005 at 11:40 AM.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 06:24 PM   #7

Smile

Hey no problem, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That is the beauty of this type of forum! I will stick to my guns and caution against floor models though, not because of people like me, but because of everyone who tests drives the cars. The dealer drove the car a lot harder than I did. Secondly, I couldn't really call the dealer because I was stationed in Korea and had to rely on email as a means of communications. Finally, the factory ran behind (no problem), however I didn't know the car was going to be delivered late until I finally called a couple days before I came home. I was never kept informed of what was going on and that is my beef. When I have to write multiple emails and have my wife leave messages because there is no two way dialogue, then I definately have a problem with that. Just my opinion and an idea of the service I expect. Prior email a little harsh, probably, however customer service seems to be a thing of the past these days. I hope nobody shares the same experience that I did!
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 12:18 PM   #8

I have to agree with Rail26 on this one. I made the sale easy for my dealership. I had already thoroughly researched the car and after a 15-minute test drive, I put down my deposit. You would think that for $60K, the salesman could have found the time to pick up the phone and let me know the status of the car. Porsche dealers don't sell so many cars in a month that they can't communicate with customers.

The dealer tries to absolve itself from any manufacturing delays, but I see the dealer and Porsche as one in the same. Porsche grants a license to sell the cars so both the manufacturer and dealer share responsibility for the way the customer is ultimately treated. If the car is delayed, the salesman should get on the phone (to Finland or Germany, if necessary) and find out what the heck is going on. Instead, I'm calling and messaging the PCNA regional manager and pushing her to get a status on the car. I'm doing the salesman's work and he's gonna get a fat commission for 15 minutes.

The PCNA rep says I should fill out the customer questionnaire and explain the whole experience. She said PCNA takes those "seriously." We'll see.

I'll keep you posted on how the delivery goes . . . whenever that happens!
Old 07-04-2005, 01:56 PM   #9

It all comes down to customer service. The car was delivered, however, with the service I was provided I will not go back to that dealership. If I was the manager or dealer, I would be working on the future sales and cultivating loyal clients. I would not be focused on the immediate sale at "all costs." Once again, just my humble opinion and business experience.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 07-05-2005, 04:05 AM   #10

longislander, did you receive a questionaire from the dealer? I was on the website looking for the questionaire and didn't see it. Maybe it was supposed to be included in all the documents I received from the dealer?

By the way, I had a great customer service experience today. Walked into a pizza shop. I was helped within 8 seconds of being there. The employee made eye contact with me and smiled, asked if I would like to know the specials before I tried to decipher the menu. I ordered the pizza (take out) and he told me it would be 15 minutes. I walked next door and came back 15 minutes later...as soon as I walked in, before I said a word, he told me the pizza would be ready in about 2 more minutes (slight delay). As he took the pizza out of the oven he noticed that I wasn't from Canada (I'm here on business) and asked if I would like a few cups and plates to go with the pizza since it was obvious I was living in a hotel. What a great experience and all I was doing was buying PIZZA!!! The employee made eye contact, provided exceptional service, sized up his customer and provided a little extra service because he knew I was not a local. All for $14.99 pizza! I spent $55K on a Porsche and I have to call the dealer for updates and Vin numbers and paperwork and estimated delivery dates and the shipping company to find out where the truck is. Ridiculous. Unfortunately, the pizza was crap (seems to be common here, not like NY pies), but I will return because the service was top notch. Ranting is complete.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 07-05-2005, 06:52 AM   #11

I'm not sure whether the questionnaire comes with the delivery or is mailed after it. If Porsche can't get its act together and deliver cars in a more organized fashion, and if the dealership couldn't care less, I'm not sure the questionnaire really matters. From what I've heard, other manufacturers really hold dealers' feet to the fire if the customer isn't satisfied. Not Porsche. After I finally reached the PCNA regional manager (and copied the CEO on e-mails), I got one call from the dealership GM that didn't improve the situation one bit. That was it. I haven't heard boo from the dealership since that time and I don't expect to until the car arrives and they want their money.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:24 PM   #12

Talking

Wow. That sucks. I have a great pizza place I can recommend! I have something that might make you feel better: My dealer only gave me one key! I have no temporary plates and the car was incredibly dirty when it arrived (It was on a covered truck for Pete sake!)

Nice touch on the cc to the CEO! You have become my new hero for today.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Last edited by Rail26; 07-05-2005 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:11 PM   #13

Here's his e-mail if you want to let him know how you feel:
Pschwarzenbauer@porschecars.com. His name is Peter Schwarzenbauer.