Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #1

Passenger Window Program

My passenger window is stuck halfway. when you push on the button it goes up about a 1/4 inch or down about a 1/4 inch but that is it. The owner of the place i took my VW to get fixed (autobahn motors in san antonio) told me its the regulator will cost about $250 and between 1/2 hours to put on at a rate of $95 an hour. Make sense? Not sure how he knows without even looking at the car..

houstoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #2

Just to clarify, is it the one-touch up/down feature that doesn't work, or does the window only move 1/4" when you press & hold the button?

If the former, you can re-program the windows by pressing & holding the down button for 10-15 seconds, then press & hold the up button for 10-15 seconds.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #3

sounds like it could be regulator but clarifying further...

try swapping the switches left to right just to make sure it's not a switch issue. You don't have to actually flip the plugs, just remove the harness from one plug and put it on the other. FWIW, you can very easily DIY the regulator too. If that is truly the issue, first time DIY ~ 1.5hours and pretty basic/not too technical. Use the search function for detailed threads regarding.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
WV Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
sounds like it could be regulator but clarifying further...

try swapping the switches left to right just to make sure it's not a switch issue. You don't have to actually flip the plugs, just remove the harness from one plug and put it on the other. FWIW, you can very easily DIY the regulator too. If that is truly the issue, first time DIY ~ 1.5hours and pretty basic/not too technical. Use the search function for detailed threads regarding.

Good luck
I have searched and nothing yet. If you have it please post or pm me. I will keep looking.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #5

If it's a regulator problem, that's a cheap repair. I was quoted over $600 for a dealer regulator replacement. However when they were diagnosing the regulator the service adviser pushed something in on the side of the door, around the locking mechanism, and the window closed. Look for something there and see if it raises the window.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #6

Thanks guys ; turned out to be a regulator problem. Took to shop and got fixed; ran about $460 total.
houstoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoer View Post
Thanks guys ; turned out to be a regulator problem. Took to shop and got fixed; ran about $460 total.
Was that through a Porsche dealer or an independent mechanic?