986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Winter driving (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/30433-winter-driving.html)

2003S 09-25-2011 07:57 AM

Winter driving

On this dreary, wet Chicago day, I'm wondering if you remove your rear windstop(s) during the winter months?

(for those you in locations you can't 'top-down' it year 'round)

Pat 09-25-2011 08:59 AM

No. I don't really see how it matters either way.

DenverSteve 09-25-2011 09:39 AM

Do you see a reason to? I don't and haven't ever even thought of it.

l3m 09-25-2011 10:14 AM

The owner's manual suggests in cold weather to remove the wind stop to allow proper ventilation and demisting of the rear window.

2003S 09-25-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverSteve (Post 258978)
Do you see a reason to? I don't and haven't ever even thought of it.

It does rattle a little, so was thinking I could live without that for a while, also was wondering if it would get fog / condensation would be an issue with it sort of closed up back there.

If it's not a problem in Denver, we're probably good in Chicago.

Honestly, was thinking more that since it wasn't going to serve a purpose for a while, I'd just put it away...

DenverSteve 09-25-2011 11:09 AM

Rattle, a little, but no condensation. We have no humidity here so I can't speak for anywhere else. I've had two of these and never any condensation. I will be trying mine without the center deflector soon to see what difference there is. I've never done it but many say they sense no difference with it in or out.

Dale_K 09-25-2011 11:56 AM

I've never been able to feel much difference when it's in or out so I leave it out all the time. As far as the rattle goes, you should be able to fix that. On my 2000 S I found the small rubber pads on the roll bar had compressed so that the screen wasn't being held up tight enough. But even after I fixed the rattle I didn't like the screen.

I'd give it away if it wasn't for the resale value.

blue2000s 09-25-2011 02:36 PM

The rattle can be solved with felt strips along the mating areas of the clips at the top and grooves at the bottom.

You'll never have a problem with condensation on a plate of plastic on the inside of the car.

The thing I'd wory about is how fragile the clips are and the risk of damage from constantly installing and removing the plate.

husker boxster 09-25-2011 05:13 PM

I take mine out during the winter season. The reason is I sometimes get headlight reflections off the screen in nighttime driving and it creates a "double vision" effect. Since rear visibility isn't great in a Boxster, I don't need any false info and winter driving means more seat time in the dark.

fatmike 09-25-2011 05:17 PM

I remove the wind-stops in the winter. It gives the cabin a more open feel and improves visibility.

Caims 09-26-2011 02:36 PM

I usually pull both the center and the sides out. I find it lets a little more light into the interior. I know that sounds stupid considering its transparent, its just nice not to not have it there when your backing up etc.

mdex 09-27-2011 03:43 PM

I take mine out... the reason is on the odd day where I have been stuck in slow traffic and have had some snow build up on the rear window I can reach back and tap the window and shake the snow off.

blue2000s 09-27-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdex (Post 259190)
I take mine out... the reason is on the odd day where I have been stuck in slow traffic and have had some snow build up on the rear window I can reach back and tap the window and shake the snow off.

You'll crack the rear window by doing that.

rick3000 10-01-2011 05:31 PM

I would take it out during the winter. Then you can lay coats/hats/etc up above the engine when the top is up, if the window is in place you can't reach back there.

mdex 10-03-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2000s (Post 259193)
You'll crack the rear window by doing that.

I haven't had any issues with doing that.... I guess I have been lucky ;)