986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Flat battery cant get under bonnet (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/30344-flat-battery-cant-get-under-bonnet.html)

Yvonne+puppy 09-15-2011 08:21 AM

Flat battery cant get under bonnet

Hi dont know if this is the right place to post this as dont really do forums but need some HELP...............here goes
Its a Boxster S 2001 only done 48,000 miles
My battery is dead I have taken the cover of the fuse box pulled out the red thing put the jump leads to the red thing and the metal door catch and on to a battery but its just setting the alarm off and wont open the bonnet and my key to stop the alarm is broken.............. how can I get into the bonnet to charge the battery ???
I rang the Porsche garage up and they said I have to ring the AA or other rescue service but I am not a member.......
Any body have any ideas ????? many thanks Yvonne

Stroked & Blown 09-15-2011 08:36 AM

There is a cable inside the RHS front wheel well to pop the front trunk. Details here: http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/whenyourbatteryisdead

Yvonne+puppy 09-15-2011 09:00 AM

Hi thanks I am going to go out and give it a go .............show's how thick the mechanic are in the Porsche garage lol xx

Overdrive 09-15-2011 10:37 AM

The Porsche mechanics aren't going to tell you something to help you that does not involve you bringing the car in to them.

If you use the lead in the fuse box, I believe the car alarm will stop once you place the key in the ignition and turn the car on (not starting, just on). Otherwise just have a wrench/ratchet on hand and disconnect the negative lead your battery to shut the alarm up.

And buy a battery maintainer so this doesn't happen to you in the future. ;) :cheers:

Yvonne+puppy 09-16-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive
The Porsche mechanics aren't going to tell you something to help you that does not involve you bringing the car in to them.

If you use the lead in the fuse box, I believe the car alarm will stop once you place the key in the ignition and turn the car on (not starting, just on). Otherwise just have a wrench/ratchet on hand and disconnect the negative lead your battery to shut the alarm up.

And buy a battery maintainer so this doesn't happen to you in the future. ;) :cheers:

Hi overdrive I live 8 miles to the nearest Porsche garage but how can I get it to them when I cant get to the battery to charge it up ?
The car alarm wont turn off when you put the key in the ignition and turn it on I tried that
and how can I disconnect the battery when I cant get to it ?
I have a battery maintainer but its not much use when I cant open the bonnet lol

pjv 09-17-2011 01:06 AM

Hi, my driver's handbook says to do as follows -
"Use the key to unlock the door, leave the key in the door lock;
Remove the fuse box cover;
Pull out the positive terminal (orange/red thing);
Use a jumper lead to connect this positive terminal to the positive terminal of a donor battery, and the second jumper lead to connect the donor battery negative terminal to the door catch (as you did);
The alarm will activate - switch it off by locking and unlocking the DOOR LOCK;
Then unlock the luggage lid with the switch;
Disconnect the negative cable first;
Push the positive terminal back in and cover the fuse box."

Note that I also had some problems doing this on my 2004 986, so keep trying. The buttons on the door sill did not seem to work, only the remote control would unlock the boot lid. I was able to open it with a fairly flat 12v motorcycle battery, so you don't have to have a full-size car battery as a donor. Also, make sure that the positive cable makes a good contact with the copper contact surface of the positive connector in the fuse box.

Hope that helps.

schnellman 09-17-2011 06:54 AM

I have a battery maintainer but its not much use when I cant open the bonnet lol[/QUOTE]

Three words, "Cigarette lighter adapter."

Overdrive 09-17-2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvonne+puppy
Hi overdrive I live 8 miles to the nearest Porsche garage but how can I get it to them when I cant get to the battery to charge it up ?
The car alarm wont turn off when you put the key in the ignition and turn it on I tried that
and how can I disconnect the battery when I cant get to it ?
I have a battery maintainer but its not much use when I cant open the bonnet lol

I think pjv's got you covered with his info above, but as far as going to the dealer, I'm not recommending that, just saying that they're not going to advise you on how you can help yourself, they're just going to tell you to bring it to them.

Once you connect the power source to that positive terminal in the fuse box you should get enough power to get the front trunk open, which would let you get to the battery and disconnect the negative, the alarm most likely blaring at you the whole time. If the switches aren't working though, then that's kind of an additional problem.

And I definitely recommend getting a cigarette lighter adapter for your battery maintainer, or getting one that is capable of doing so (Deltran's "Battery Tender, Jr." is great for this reason alone, in my opinion). This way you don't have to leave the hood open and prone to critters, and you can even close the door of the car and leave the maintainer hooked up (there's a small cutout in the weatherstripping on the bottom of the door jamb that will allow a power cord to come out without stopping the door from closing). Works great for me, especially since I can't garage my car.

DenverSteve 09-17-2011 09:59 PM

All good information. Most is straight from the owner's manual. I'll add keeping your AAA (or comparable) auto club membership current for times like these.

Yvonne+puppy 11-09-2011 09:51 PM

I have got a Cigarette lighter adapter but its doing the same as the multi charger its just sending the alarm off putting the key in the door locking and unlocking does not switch the alarm off the AA have been out and the only way is to tow the car to the Porsche Dealers (as I said the key to turn the alarm off is broken and to get a new one its got to be programed into the car)
The english Porsche boxster does not have a cable under the wheel arch (wheel well as you say) near the spring coil or under the front....................
Its looking like its going to cost quite a bit and I am skint at the mo lol xx

bobbypie 02-15-2014 05:31 AM

Hi Yvonne,

I wonder how you got on with this problem, as I am experiencing exactly the same issue, key fob needs resetting so i have to open the door manually and then put key in the ignition before the alarm goes off, then unlock the central locking system. The car has recently been left whilst away and something set the alarm off, so the battery ran flat and i am now experiencing the same issues as you had.

My car is 2000 and does not have the red tag for helping with the bonnet situ, but I have phoned a porsche garage who kindly told me to remove the C3 fuse and use the jump leads the same way, but connect a wire to the C3 fuse to unlock the central locking. This hasn't worked, I thought it had when the windows started going down, but then the alarm started, and again, I have the same issues as you. No matter how many different ways of using the key, dash, unlocking, locking etc, the key in the door doesn't release the central locking system for the bonnet to pop. I do hear a constant clicking sound when i try to use the key and unlock the cls, not sure if that helps anyone. I thought I'd give this forum a crack before i contact the garage and get the car towed. Also as a matter of interest what kind of cost am i looking at to sort this out?

I, like you, are peppered at the moment ;)

thanks a lot in advance for any help you or anyone else might have!