Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 07:05 AM   #1

Caliper painting

I have the red "S" brakes on the boxster. The red seems to be holding up well, but the clear coat is peeling in some areas. I plan on pulling the calipers off and fixing the clear. I asked the local part shop what to use..... I have some PGP Deltron 4000 clear, but that is for the body and I wasn't sure how that would hold up. He told me to use the clear in a spray can that was labeled for wheels. I have a bad feeling about this..... but, the parts guy says to trust him.

Has anyone freshened up the clear on the calipers.... and if so, what did you use? What did you use to touch up the red?

The dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
kpm

The PPG is only good to about 350 degrees. Your caliper will get much hotter than that, so the parts guy is right.

I think VHT makes a brake caliper clear in a spray can...they do it's #SP 730
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #3

I guess I am worried about a nice finish out of a spray can product. Can any vouch for trying this?

I will check to see hwat clear he sold me tonight.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #4

I've seen the faded calipers with clear coat coming off, I don't think putting the clear coat back on will bring the color back. Wouldn't it be better to just sand them down and repaint them fresh?
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #5

I found high temp clear coat in the parts store next to the other high temp paints. I completely repainted mine on the car with fresh decals. It's been a couple of years now and everything still looks as good as new.

Unless you race the car it is unlikely that your calipers will ever get anywhere near 350° but I would use the hi-temp stuff anyway.
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wret
I found high temp clear coat in the parts store next to the other high temp paints. I completely repainted mine on the car with fresh decals. It's been a couple of years now and everything still looks as good as new.

Unless you race the car it is unlikely that your calipers will ever get anywhere near 350° but I would use the hi-temp stuff anyway.

Spray can paint? Were the Porsche logo's decals? It looks like it is also paint.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #7

You can paint them by sanding, brush painting, without removing them from the car. Additionally, there are numerous places on Ebay (and probably others) that sell decals for the calipers. I think I would paint the lettering also.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
You can try to re-clearcoat but I doubt it will work well. See both my entries at the following link, it talks about paint to use, clear coat to use, has pictures, and where I got the decals.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxster-cayman-forum/592472-existing-calipers.html
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dude
Spray can paint? Were the Porsche logo's decals? It looks like it is also paint.
I did get the decals from ebay dirt cheap. I was skeptical but for the price it was definatately worth a shot. The result was perfect and has lasted a couple of years with no sign of wear or deterioration. I have painted logos on brake calipers before with stencils and spray paint. It was tedious and time consuming with only a fair result. Decals are the way to go.

Wret is offline   Reply With Quote