Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2007, 07:26 AM   #1

Paint Problem

The hood on my car has developed a strange looking spot on the lower right corner. It looks like something is in the paint. I bought the car used from private party and there was no indication that is was wrecked and repainted. I checked the inside of the hood and nothing looks amiss. I had a 911 and there was a guy that did a color sand on it and removed a scratch on the door. I was wondering if anyone here can give me info on how to fix this problem on my hood. It is Ocean blue metallic. Can it be color sanded? I will try to post a pic to show the problem.

980ceanblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:30 AM   #2

Definitely post a pic of your issue for the best advice on how to fix.

Rule of thumb is to always use the least invasive method possible to fix flaws in your paint. Wet sanding the clear coat is an option but should only be used after you've exhausted all the other less invasive methods (i.e. clay, hand polish/glaze, rubbing compound, DA polish, rotary buff, etc.).
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:58 PM   #3

Pictures of Problem

Not too detailed but the paint looks like it is actually lifting in that triangle. Those are not actually scratches but more like cracks in just that area. If I can I will try to get a better angle. Hope this helps
Old 12-31-2007, 02:29 PM   #4

Looks like a nice scratch to me. If you can feel it with your fingernail, then chances are it is through the paint and wet-sanding cannot help. I would take it to a good bodyshop to see if they can wet-sand it or not. If it cannot, then touch up paint is the least cost alternative. If you were to have the hood painted, this would be pricey but not a big deal.. only color would need to be applied to the small corner of the hood followed by clearing the entire panel. Probably a 500.00 proposition or so.

Best of luck!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #5

If you're referring to that white spot in the paint, looks like either a hard water spot or bird crap etched the paint a little. You can take a clay bar and some Wax All what we use at work, it'll take it off.

If that's not it, post a better picture and I can help. I work at an autobody shop and this is part of what I do.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:29 AM   #6

New Pictures

I hope these pictures help. I tried to get an angle shot to show how the paint seems to be lifting in that area. I noticed a few months ago that the spot looked like the paint had run. I have had the car for 3 years and this just happened. I looked under the hood but did not find evidence of repair.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:55 AM   #7

New Pictures

Has anyone checked these?
Thanks
Old 01-04-2008, 07:57 AM   #8

I'm far from an expert but IMO it looks like the clearcoat is coming off.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
porsche paint is garbage if you ask me.
above my tail light i have the same situation, clearcoat coming off/peeling off.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #10

I agree djomlas !

I was just commenting the other day to a friend of mine on why when I wash and Zaino the Box and the Benz, after a couple of days of driving both the Boxster is all dusty and looks like crap, and the Benz still looks freshly washed ( both are black, and the Boxster sits in the garage while the Benz is outside ) ? This is taking the same route to work, and parking in the same underground parking space at work. I just don't get it

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:00 AM   #11

Clear Coat Peeling?

If it is the clear coat peeling what are my options to repair? Can this be a DIY project?
Old 01-09-2008, 02:29 PM   #12

Once again, I am no expert, but I doubt that a clear coat touch up job would be a DIY. I think it would be very difficult to even out with the rest of your hood unless you plan to do the entire thing. With a hood being the "altar" of a car, I wouldn't do it without a spray booth. Maybe try taking it to an autobody shop and seeing if they can respray the clear coat on just the hood.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #13

I have the same issue. Some areas look like runs in paint and some areas look mily in color. My car is black and someone said they think it was repainted, but I think it is original, just a factory paint flaw. It is throughout the car and can ponly e seen certain time sof the day with full sun

dennis is offline   Reply With Quote