986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Rain Damage (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/30272-rain-damage.html)

kenny99 09-08-2011 02:55 PM

Rain Damage

Hello all,
I was driving my '99 Box home from work today, an after a typical Cleveland rain, I heard a sloshing noise coming from underneath the cabin on the passenger side.
When I got home, I noticed the floor was wet by the passenger door. The windows had been up all day, and there was no evident moisture on the window or door panel.
Does anyone know what might have caused this? I've already got quite an extensive repair list going, and I'm hoping this might be an obvious fix.

Thanks,
kenny

WhipE350 09-08-2011 04:27 PM

Put the top in the service position and make sure the drain holes are clear. You might need to put some tape on a coat hanger and make sure there isn't a blockage mid way down.

jrdiesel01 09-08-2011 04:28 PM

Drain hose plugged

This happened to my box on driver side Check drain hose between ragtop and rear quarter (right next to door). You can only see the drain hole from there, remove any obvious debris gathered or stock I'm there. Next, get an air compressor hose and blow air into hole to clean hose. This should solve your problem. Recommend doing this to both sides routinely.

jrdiesel01 09-08-2011 04:31 PM

WHIPe350

At WHIPe350: Wow, our replies almost crashed. Funny! Another satisfied customer by the brilliant minds of Boxster owners. ;)

WhipE350 09-08-2011 04:33 PM

I liked yours better, but I figure not everyone has a compressor so I start old school :)

kenny99 09-08-2011 04:53 PM

Thanks guys, I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Unfortunately, though, I just sold my compressor to afford new brakes, strut mount and starter bendix cleaning.
Less money, mo' problems!

jrdiesel01 09-08-2011 05:56 PM

Lol!!Metal hanger truck should work just fine and/or go to gas station and borrow theirs for $.50. ;)

kenny99 09-09-2011 02:08 AM

Should I excpect any water damage from this? Elec., etc.?

Aron in Toronto 09-09-2011 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenny99

Yes, you want to make sure the electronics under the drivers seat do not get wet or you may be in for an expensive repair. I'd take a shop vac and towels get as much water out as possible to avoid this as well as reduce the risk of mildew growing in the carpet.

Good luck,

Aron

WhipE350 09-09-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenny99

Ya it would make sense to pull the seat and check for water under carpet. Mold is the worst. A few months back I was in to see my parts guy at Hendrick and a Boxster was there with a big fan and the carpet pulled up drying the car. Scott said the drain holes had clogged and flooded the car. If you can't pull the seat at least give the car plenty of moving air for a while to really dry out.