986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Fuel Issue (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/30261-fuel-issue.html)

krs2230 09-07-2011 07:53 PM

Fuel Issue

Hey guys,

I'll try my best to not make this too long winded. I have a 99 Boxster with the 2.5 motor. The car has 154K on it, but great shape, four owners all checked out on Car Fax. Car has run beautifully until two weeks ago. Suddenly it started missing, radically. Seemed like it was not picking up fuel. I took it to my boys who work on her for general maintenance, they thought it was the sensor for coolant temp that was bad, replaced and no change in the performance. At this time the 986 had 1/4 tank of fuel. I drove it for a few days and the worst occurred. It started sputtering and missing to the point where I had to have it towed back to the shop. They then put in a new Mass Air Flow Sensor with no change. I took it to the Porsche Dealer here in Oregon and they found no errors in the computer and told me to drive it until the check engine light came on again. In the meantime, I filled the car full of premium fuel, injector cleaner and octane booster. It ran perfectly for two days. When I reached 3/4 tank full, I refueled. Here is the key, the second I drove out of the gas station, it sputtered like crazy! Now, it runs, but not well. No one can determine what is wrong. Any advice?

Jager 09-07-2011 08:23 PM

Could be the fuel pump.

442nd986s 09-08-2011 04:32 AM

Sounds like

your Mr Fusion isn't getting the necessary 1.21 Gigawatts of power. Have you tired getting up to 88 Mph?

+1 on the fuel pump. I would even take it one step further and replace the fuel filter.

JFP in PA 09-08-2011 10:07 AM

I just love the fact that the standard test for possible fuel issues is to connect a pressure gauge to the test port in the engine bay for the purpose, and check both fuel pressure and delivery volume, a quick and relatively cheap test, but no one has done this, preferring to swap out expensive parts instead................

Jager 09-08-2011 05:05 PM

If I recall correctly I did not get a Check Engine Light when my fuel pump failed (~150,000 miles on the odometer). It was an interesting ride home but the Jägermobile did not leave me stranded.

krs2230 09-09-2011 08:42 AM

Thanks JFP. So true. All everyone wanted to do was talk electronics. Car now seems to be fixed and running well with the new fuel filter in place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA
I just love the fact that the standard test for possible fuel issues is to connect a pressure gauge to the test port in the engine bay for the purpose, and check both fuel pressure and delivery volume, a quick and relatively cheap test, but no one has done this, preferring to swap out expensive parts instead................

krs2230 09-09-2011 08:44 AM

Thank you. I changed the fuel filter and it seems to have fixed the problem. Curious, does getting up to 88 mph do something to the systems?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 442nd986s
your Mr Fusion isn't getting the necessary 1.21 Gigawatts of power. Have you tired getting up to 88 Mph?

+1 on the fuel pump. I would even take it one step further and replace the fuel filter.

JFP in PA 09-09-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krs2230
Thanks JFP. So true. All everyone wanted to do was talk electronics. Car now seems to be fixed and running well with the new fuel filter in place.

And the test I suggested would have caught the low fuel delivery caused by the clogged filter............. Sometimes the simplest approach is the best one; and too many techs have become “sensor dominant” in their thinking……..

Mark_T 09-09-2011 09:15 AM

" Curious, does getting up to 88 mph do something to the systems?"

Just the flux capacitor, and only in time travel mode.

2003S 09-09-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T
" Curious, does getting up to 88 mph do something to the systems?"

Just the flux capacitor, and only in time travel mode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/88_MPH