Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 06:05 AM   #1

How To Change Convertible Top Motor?

The huge price difference between buying the part online and having the local Porsche dealer do the job leads me to look into doing it myself. However, I can't seem to find any info out there. This is a 2000 Boxster.

BassMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #2

You need Maurice's Articles

here
A bunch of articles
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #3

I'm parting out lots of things from my car. If the model year 2000 and 1998 part that you need is the same, I have it. The convertible top motor itself is about as easy to change as a tire or two (three mounting nuts, one electrical connector, two snap-in cables). I know because I removed it and everything else related to the convertible top from the car last week!

Parts list here: http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/parts/boxster-parts.pdf
trygve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
Mike, this just seems to be info about changing out a top, not the motor...
Old 09-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #5

If the motor you are referring to is single motor that drives the convertible top (not one the pair of "transmissions" mounted on the sides just rearward of the doors), then from memory I'd say the instructions are simply:

1) The motor is mounted to the rear wall of the topside of the engine bay, just under the clamshell, on the opposite side of the wall from the center brake light.
2) Put the top in service mode with the clamshell as high as possible.
3) Remove the plastic cover of the motor, if needed, so that you can access a) the electrical connector, b) the 3 mounting nuts, c) the transmission cable on each side.
4) Disconnect the electrical plug.
5) Pull upwards to lift off the metal retaining clip on each side of the motor where the cable enters. Then just pull the cable straight out.
6) Remove the 3 mounting nuts.
7) Pull the motor off the mounting studs.
8) Reverse the above!

Here's a photo (with the entire convertible top removed) of the location just after I removed the motor. Looks to me like no foam liner needed to be removed to get at it. You can see the 3 mounting studs, the indentation left by the cables, and the electrical connector dangling there.
trygve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #6

Thanks, TRYGVE! Exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, the top won't open so I'll have to look into a way to get it so...