986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Which Suspension? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/30213-suspension.html)

Frst986 09-01-2011 07:20 PM

Which Suspension?

I am shopping around for rear struts, the right rear does not appear to have too much fluid left in it judging by the noise coming from it.
I'd like to replace the struts with at least OEM parts, although I've been tempted by the PSS 9 kit that is sold by Bilstein.
The car has 80,000 mi. on it and was track driven by the previous owner.
Suggestions anyone?

1997 Boxter - 2.5l H6
Red w/black soft top

blue2000s 09-01-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frst986
I am shopping around for rear struts, the right rear does not appear to have too much fluid left in it judging by the noise coming from it.
I'd like to replace the struts with at least OEM parts, although I've been tempted by the PSS 9 kit that is sold by Bilstein.
The car has 80,000 mi. on it and was track driven by the previous owner.
Suggestions anyone?

1997 Boxter - 2.5l H6
Red w/black soft top

What are you going to do with the car? How much weight do you put on ride? Do you want to track the car regularly? How much time are you willing to spend dialing in a suspension?

Topless 09-02-2011 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2000s
What are you going to do with the car? How much weight do you put on ride? Do you want to track the car regularly? How much time are you willing to spend dialing in a suspension?

Yep,
For a well sorted, Porsche tuned, sport suspension for street and track- ROW M030 roughly $1800 installed/aligned

A fully adjustable coil over setup for competition- PSS9s/Tarret sways roughly $4200 installed, aligned, corner balanced.

Bobiam 09-02-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless
Yep,
For a well sorted, Porsche tuned, sport suspension for street and track- ROW M030 roughly $1800 installed/aligned

A fully adjustable coil over setup for competition- PSS9s/Tarret sways roughly $4200 installed, aligned, corner balanced.

I agree......great bang for the buck. All dependable Porsche parts, will lower the car slightly, and make it handle like it was supposed to when they designed it. I did it last year.

blue2000s 09-02-2011 07:41 AM

I'm thinking if the ride is a priority, stock might be best. Not everyone needs a harder suspension.

Bobiam 09-02-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

I'm thinking if the ride is a priority, stock might be best. Not everyone needs a harder suspension.

RoW M030 is not that much stiffer from the drivers seat. If you want more comfort, buy a Buick.

blue2000s 09-02-2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobiam
RoW M030 is not that much stiffer from the drivers seat. If you want more comfort, buy a Buick.

Totally agree, on 17" wheels at least. But some don't and it's more $$$ than just replacing the rear struts.

Frst986 09-02-2011 08:10 AM

You are making me think here

Quote:

For the moment the car will be used as a weekend cruiser and perhaps it might see the track next year. This car was made to be driven and I can't think of a better place to do just that.
Load factor is 2 pax + 2 small carry ons
Time spent on dialing suspension - haven't given this any thought at all.
What exactly is involved, just jacking up the car and dialing in the 4 struts or is there more to it than this?

blue2000s 09-02-2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frst986
For the moment the car will be used as a weekend cruiser and perhaps it might see the track next year. This car was made to be driven and I can't think of a better place to do just that.
Load factor is 2 pax + 2 small carry ons
Time spent on dialing suspension - haven't given this any thought at all.
What exactly is involved, just jacking up the car and dialing in the 4 struts or is there more to it than this?

The PSS9s need to be adjusted at the strut for height.

Here's the instructions for changing the struts.

http://gwl.rmsolo.org/hacks/suspension/index.html

Eric523 09-02-2011 02:22 PM

at 80k miles, it would be a good idea to replace all four, not just the rears.

PSS9 system is nice. Once set, you really don't have to ever touch it unless you want to stiffen it up for your track day. Also has fully adjustable ride height so you can lower or raise the car as you please.

Or just go with OEM Bilstein replacements shocks. Add the m030 springs if you want to lower the height a tad and be a little stiffer.

thstone 09-03-2011 03:50 PM

At 80K miles, I'd replace all four. Since you only plan to track occasionally, the PSS9's are overkill; the stock Bilstein replacements will be comfortable on the street and fine for track days.