986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   HELP!! The boxster is overheating. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/3021-help-boxster-overheating.html)

JP-s-in st. louis 06-28-2005 04:55 PM

HELP!! The boxster is overheating.

Here is the story, just went out for a drive and the Boxster overheated. I put 2/3 of a gallon of distilled water in while setting on the side of the road so I could get home. (here is the strangest part) On the way home I cranked the heat and found that it would blow hot air then cold air without me touching the temperature. I am a tad befudeled by the recent turn of events, originally I thought it would be the thrmostat now maybe the system needs belching or even the overflow tank may need replaced. :ah: Please anyhelp would be great!!

Brucelee 06-28-2005 06:24 PM

What do we know?

Low on fluid

Hot and cold temps

Answer:

You have a leak and you may have a thermostat issue.

Time to get it to the shop.

Overheating is simple to diagosis with right equipment.

Also, since overheating can cause permanent engine damage, don't put off resolving right now.

Good luck.

JP-s-in st. louis 06-28-2005 06:32 PM

Does anyone have a diagram on the location of the thermostat and the hose routing?

pez 06-29-2005 06:57 AM

Auto Atlanta has a decent breakdown..

http://www.********************************************.com/model/986catalog/986.53-a.html
http://www.********************************************.com/model/986catalog/986.53-b.html
http://www.********************************************.com/model/986catalog/986.54-a.html

You can download the whole thing on pdf..

Pez

JP-s-in st. louis 06-29-2005 01:29 PM

found water

I found water dripping from under the drivers seat???

Brucelee 06-29-2005 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP-s-in st. louis
I found water dripping from under the drivers seat???

Say more about this!

JP-s-in st. louis 06-29-2005 02:06 PM

water found

At first I did not see anything leaking in what I thought to be the problem area, under the motor and filler tank. Well I went to the front to listen to hear if the fans were running, as I looked down and low and behold there is water. I found a large puddle on the ground right under were I would be sitting my arse in the drivers seat. I moved the car again by hand to see if it would continue and it did. So at least I know about where it is coming from. Now I will just wait out the 103 degree temp that is being shown in the garage.

Pablito 06-29-2005 06:30 PM

JP - what you may have are two different problems, :confused: first the water on the driver's side (I Imagine you are talking behind the seat) may be related to a torn liner in the cavity where the top mechanicals are, this liner is made of a flimsy foam and if it gets torn when you wash your car or when it rains water will seep inside the cabin and lodge behind the seat...if unattended it will seep under the seat and damage the control box for the alarm. :eek:

To determine if you have a leak in the expansion tank; first check if there's antifreeze smell in the trunk, if so, lift the trunk floor liner right next to the tank location, if the floor s wet and the wood on the floor is spongy then BINGO! a new expansion tank is required... :( ..VERY IMPORTANT!!! Check also your front cooling fans make sure they are both operating (when AC is on they both turn on simultaneously) usually your tank pops when the system overheats and it does so when your fans do not operate properly...if unattended your water pump will leak and your radiators will crack and leak as well.. :mad: ...the hot / cold behavior is a reaction of the system when you have some cooling down happening it also happens when you run thru a puddle of water....thermostats are very resilient on these cars, mine has gone over 100k miles in the same thermostat from factory.

deliriousga 06-29-2005 07:22 PM

Water pump longevity?

Anybody know about how long the water pump lasts in the Boxster? Mine was getting toward the top of the safe heat range today, but it's just a tiny bit low on coolant. No smells and I'm adding some water to see if it takes care of the problem.

Also, is there any type of coolant besides the Porsche brand that's safe for the Boxster? I saw in the manual where the coolant is "permanent", but what about when it's time to change the hoses or a problem?

Thanks!

Pablito 06-29-2005 07:38 PM

I'd stick with the Porsche brand ....there is also Inugel from Motul which is really good.....My water pump expired at around 90k but it was due to faulty cooling fan that wreaked havoc...If you are having coolant level difficulty do the above checks you may be abble to catch the problem on time..

JP-s-in st. louis 06-30-2005 04:25 AM

Unfortunately I do not believe I was clear. My issue resides in the puddle of water I found on the garage floor underneath the drivers side. (Broken hose?) I have checked under the filler tank and have not seen any presence of water. I would like to say thanks for all the help. :cheers:

deliriousga 06-30-2005 06:23 AM

Sorry JP, didn't mean to hijack your thread. The water pump will usually leak when it reaches the end of its' life to let you know it's about to go.

Have you taken the belly pans off? The water could be dripping somehwere else and just rolling along the pans until it finds a hole by the driver's seat to get out. Also, look around at the hoses under there and see if you've got one leaking.

It's tough to really see what's going on until you take the pans off. The bolts are all the same size (I think 10mm, but could be 8mm. Definitely one of those two) so it's easy to pull them. If you put it up on stands, make sure they are wide-based stands so they don't tip easy and put a floor jack (with just light pressure) underneath in a sturdy location just in case.

If you can't find it from underneath or in the trunk, take the engine cover off behind the seats. Once it's off, you can see the front of the engine including the water pump. You should be able to see the thermostat housing from either the top of the engine or the front, not sure which.

RandallNeighbour 06-30-2005 06:29 AM

JP, I live in a hot and humid climate and my car's cooling system produces lots and lots of condensation, which pools under the car. It's completely normal.

Make sure this is not what is causing the water under the driver's side of your Boxster.

Condensation-based water is very clear and odorless. I'd say taste it, but that's a sizeable gamble, huh? Sniffing may be your best bet.

JP-s-in st. louis 06-30-2005 03:09 PM

RandallNeighbour: thanks for the help. does condinsation only should form only when the AC is on.? Because mine was not on when this formed

RandallNeighbour 06-30-2005 07:35 PM

If the AC is off and you have puddles under the car, I think you have a leak somewhere and it is not condensation. Get it looked at ASAP so you don't risk overheating your engine.

Brucelee 07-01-2005 05:30 AM

"Get it looked at ASAP so you don't risk overheating your engine"

I agree here. The service dept should be able to diagnose this in about a half an hour.

deliriousga 07-01-2005 08:17 AM

I'm with them, you really shouldn't drive it until you figure this out. If you had to add water to the system to bring it up to the correct level then it's probably not condensation. Still, like Randall said, when you use the A/C the Boxster leaves a huge puddle under the car in the area you are talking about.

Take it to a dealer or at least a Porsche independent mechanic and pay them to figure it out if you can't do it or don't have time. You'll be glad you did. :cheers:

MLegere 07-01-2005 09:48 AM

Guys

I just replaced my Expansion Tank, Expansion Tank Cap, Thermostat, Thermostat Housing, H20 Pump. My car has only 56k on it. So far in the first 90 days of ownership I have spent 2640.00 On Maint :ah: In the next 3500 Miles The 60k Maint will be due that will be another 800-1000 :barf:

Mike

MLegere 07-01-2005 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deliriousga
I'm with them, you really shouldn't drive it until you figure this out.

Take it to a dealer or at least a Porsche independent mechanic and pay them to figure it out if you can't do it or don't have time. You'll be glad you did. :cheers:

What he said!!!!!!!!!!

JP-s-in st. louis 07-01-2005 03:56 PM

Well It Is Fixed :)

:dance: IT HAD TO BE BLED. Well it took some about 10 time to fill and drive, fill and drive, etc. etc. etc.. any way just went for a 10 min. drive and no overheating:) To all that comes across a overheating issue try this first and be persistent. Come to find out the overflow tank drains under the car under the drivers side. :dance: I will be more clear on how it was fixed when I dont want to drive as much. What am I saying I always want to drive:)