Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2005, 03:16 PM   #1

airbag light and seat removal

Removed my driver's seat of my 1997 Boxster to replace the switch & plate for the seat recline. Far more fiddling with connectors (and the dismantling of connectors) to get them through the tiny space designed for wires only, but I was triumphant! I do love tinkering with my car and learning all about it.

By the way, I found an old rusty lighter and more remants of the pot smoker who previously owned my car.

When I put the seat back in, I turned on the key and moved the seat back with the newly installed switch! Then I cranked her up to move it back into the garage and the doggone airbag light stayed on!

I'm betting I should have disconnected my battery for 30 minutes before doing this. I knew better, but was in a hurry, thinking if I didn't turn the key, I'd be fine.

Am I right to assume that having the PST2 Tool attached to remove the error code will fix this problem? I plugged everything back in the way I was supposed to do it.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:50 PM   #2

Somebody with a PST2 (maybe your mechanic buddy, Hans) will have to clear the airbag light. Make sure that your wiring is all nice, neat and tight so hopefully it won't keep coming back. My dealer clears the airbag light for free and it takes only a few minutes.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:35 PM   #3

My dealer charged $50 to turn off the damn airbag light

That's correct on making sure the battery is disconnected if you plan on unplugging the seat again - that will prevent the airbag light from coming on... also be sure to have your radio code handy for when you plug the battery back in!

Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:36 PM   #4

It can't hurt to have the battery removed when doing the removing/installing the seats but according to here at Renntech.org, it should be okay to do what you did:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5185&hl=seat++removal

I don't know how applicable the following GT3 instructions are but the author makes the point that you should be careful with the seat belt plug orientation else the "dreaded warning light."

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albuq41?page=1

98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote