Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 02:28 AM   #1

Oxygen Sensor replacement

Hi guys, couple of questions for you. My 01 Boxster is showing up as a P1275 code which seems to be one of my oxygen sensors.
First question is: If I don't replace it just yet will it do any long term damage?
Second question: Is it a simple enough job to do myself? Baring in mind that I haven't done any mechanicing in some time...
All thoughts and suggestions as always much appreciated
Pete

Petermark1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:28 AM   #2

Somebody smarter than me can answer the first question better than I could---I would just think the engine's not going to run as efficiently as it will if you change out the bad O2 sensor. Might affect mileage and performance I would think.

As far as changing it out, it's not that tough. As I recall, you have to contort yourself a little to get to it, but other than that it's basically wrenchin' it out and wrenchin' the new one back in. Easy.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #3

Changing the Oxygen Sensors was the easiest thing I did on my Boxster, perhaps other than changing the MAF. DON'T GET A DEALER/INDY TO DO IT. Even the best indy shops in my town charged way too much for them. Shop around online and you will get a good deal, I got Bosch ones to be safe since they are OEM.

If you want some directions and photos to help you navigate through the procedure, just do a quick Google search and you will find plenty of guides.

Last edited by Lordblood; 08-25-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #4

The biggest potential downside to running with a possible bad O2 senor is that the air fuel ratio may be off as the result and damage the cats on that side over time. As cats cost one Hell of lot more than O2 sensors, the trade off is obvious…..
Old 08-26-2011, 06:13 AM   #5

Thanks for all the tips 'and encouragement'. Think I will tackle that one myself and let you know how I get on.
Petermark1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #6

Get a cheap sensor wrench socket. Makes the job far easier.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #7

Garage
I ran mine with a bad MAF and or O2 sensor for a long time. It ended up causing my car to misfire. Replaced MAF and the generic bosch O2 sensors so I could increase the wire length and it has been running great for a couple thousand miles since.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #8

I replaced all four of mine (recommended) and boy, did it improve performance and fuel economy after driving the car for a day or two. The computer needs to recalibrate itself after this is done I guess.

It was just about the best $450 I ever spent on my car to tell you the truth. It's a lot of cash for just sensors, but they make the motor run a lot better when you have four brand new ones on board.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #9

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
where did you find all four for $450?

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #10

Garage
I wanna say they are like 90 bux at autozone if you buy the Universal type. It requires more work to assemble but if you are trying to save some money you will save about 280 dollars. the direct replacements are like 150 for post and 170 for pre cats.

maybe you can find better prices for the OEM ones online.

like I said the Universal ones do require assembly but it is fairly simple and mine have been great for a couple thousand miles now. (granted I needed them due to the fact I needed longer wires to accommodate my aftermarket headers. which is awesome since I only need 2 sensors now instead of four.)
Old 08-29-2011, 05:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave928
where did you find all four for $450?
www.oxygensensors.com
Old 08-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #12

DO NOT USE THE UNIVERSAL ONES!!!!

I made this mistake and the universal ones that were suppose to work...DID NOT.... and threw up check engine light codes.

I bought a complete set of used working OEM ones for $50 and car runs hella better and no more check engine light!!
dirkdiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdiggler
DO NOT USE THE UNIVERSAL ONES!!!!

I made this mistake and the universal ones that were suppose to work...DID NOT.... and threw up check engine light codes.

I bought a complete set of used working OEM ones for $50 and car runs hella better and no more check engine light!!
well if you are referring to the ones where u have to assemble them and cut the wires yourself I imagine you just didn't check your connections. the sensor itself is exactly the same...