986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   986 Horn Malfunction Wiring Assembly (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/30137-986-horn-malfunction-wiring-assembly.html)

Pianohawk 08-24-2011 02:25 PM

986 Horn Malfunction Wiring Assembly

The horn on my 1999 Boxster isn't working. I looked at the fuses and realized the horn fuse was fried so I replaced it. Now when I press on the horn, I hear a slight clicking sound, like turning on a light switch but softer, coming from the steering assembly.

Anyone have experience with this clicking noise before or repairing the wiring assembly for the horn?

Symptoms started last summer when the horn would go off intermittently without being touched. I jammed a card in the steering wheel underneath the airbag and it would stop. Looks like the fuse blew since then but I never noticed until it failed safety inspection today.

fatmike 08-24-2011 03:23 PM

I just had some issues with my battery.

I found out that one of the symptoms of a battery that isn't fully charged is the HORN WORKS INTERMITTANTLY!!! I had this symptom and it has since gone away.

Check out your electrical system, specifically the battery and the alternator. A shop can put an electrical monitor on your car and tell you if your battery is fully charged, if it is holding a charge, if there is a draw on your battery that shouldn't be there and if the alternator works.

A bad battery could be the culprit. It's possible that you have an actual short or something (sounds like it), but don't rule out the same issues I had.

/

Oaktown 986 08-24-2011 06:26 PM

Same problem... haven't really looked into it. My auto cancellation for my blinkers has failed as well. Probably related but haven't looked into it yet.

Lil bastard 08-24-2011 09:12 PM

If you have the standard 4-spoke wheel, the problem is failed bushings on the airbag frame - notorious weak point. Easy replacement and it'll fix your issues.

Use SEARCH to pull up the procedure.

Cheers!

ProjectM96 08-25-2011 05:07 AM

Yup, he is right.

My horn also beeps, but it happens when I go over bumps, brake hard, or accelerate quickly.

I took the fuse out so that it stops bothering me.

Porsche mechanic said the contacts, or bshings in the steering wheel are broken. The Porsche dealer wanted to charge me $360 to fix it in parts and labor. I did not want to spend the money so I am just living with out it.

pk2 08-25-2011 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProjectM96
Yup, he is right.

My horn also beeps, but it happens when I go over bumps, brake hard, or accelerate quickly.
.... $360 to fix it in parts and labor. I did not want to spend the money so I am just living with out it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are several different DYI's around to repair the bushings your self. It can be as easy as using black, silicon gasket sealer on top of old bushings (the way I did mine 5 yrs. ago).

Regards, PK

Lil bastard 08-25-2011 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pk2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are several different DYI's around to repair the bushings your self. It can be as easy as using black, silicon gasket sealer on top of old bushings (the way I did mine 5 yrs. ago).

Regards, PK

The DIY repairs have not proven to last in all cases. A replacement retainer frame is only like $60 (at last check), so it's not worth jerry-rigging it.

Cheers!