Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #1

Sticking brake pedal 1997 boxster

My wife just picked up a 1997 Boxster for her to drive and have some fun during the summer. She took it to work the other day and noticed that the brake pedal was sticking. It seemed to happen more at very low speed and while using little brake presure. I have read most of the solutions and it did not seem that any of them fit. It was'nt a bad caliper or worn rubber lines. It did need the fluid flushed out as one would assume that after Fourteen years of doing it's job it could use some fresh stuff. I did some more digging and found that there was a problem with the power brake booster and that the fix through porsche would be expensive. It would require not only a new booster but a new brake pedal assembly. "Silly updates". They found that the early models were getting water into the booster through the seals and over time would rust the inside of the booster. I have fixed cars for the better part of my adut life and I knew that if I took the booster apart I would be able to not only drain the water that was in it but also clean out the rust that was making the bellows stick. Well it took me around 3 full hours to do the work but it was worth every bit of it. The brakes are again back to normal and I can put the $1500.00 dollars to next years trip to somewhere warm durring the cold winter.

Corvetteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #2

Garage
Smile Brake Booster

I too experienced the same, sticking brake pedal on my recently purchased 1997 Boxster. After a couple of Google searchs found that there is an update Brake booster and attaching parts from Porsche for lots of $$$. Went on E Bay, found a complete, (including the new style bellows to prevent water intrusion) for $90.00. As John said, it takes about 3 + hours to replace the Brake Booster (I'm sure I could do it in less time the second time around) but now the brakes works well, no sticking. I drained over a quart of water out of the old booster, and with all the rust and corrosion inside wouldn't have given it a second thought to reuseing the old one. John just have one thought, you might want to consider adding some kind of deflector if you are still using the old seal(bellows) or you might have a repeat problem with water again.

Bill

whoover770 is offline   Reply With Quote