986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Where to buy paint for console and bumperettes? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/30059-where-buy-paint-console-bumperettes.html)

sasha055 08-17-2011 10:53 AM

Where to buy paint for console and bumperettes?

Hi,

I'm planning to paint my bumperettes and center console and I have no ideea where to buy the paint..

I have ocean blue metallic (code e1) boxster.

Thanks
Sasha

Burg Boxster 08-17-2011 10:59 AM

paintscratch.com

Flavor 987S 08-17-2011 11:13 AM

I'd have Bumperplugs.com do the work Eric is one of the BEST vendors to the Porsche community. Excellent quality. Excellent customer service.

sasha055 08-17-2011 11:19 AM

Thanks!

How much paint I should buy for bumperretes and center console?
How many coats should I put on?

Thanks
Sasha

PS: Bumperplugs can get expensive fast.. and I want to try it myself so I can buy and paint rear diffusers later

WhipE350 08-17-2011 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had Eric do my bumperettes and the quality is amazing. I still think it is worth trying yourself, just do lots of layers and take your time, I bet them come out great.

You'll laugh but I did my console with Dupli-Color caliper paint because it dries so fast and the red matched well, also figured if I didn't like it I could buy one off of Eric. It came out great!...but it is still light years from a really well done job. I would really like to see how yours turns out...pass along details after you do it. Here is how mine looks:

DenverSteve 08-17-2011 08:21 PM

How difficult is it to remove?

Flavor 987S 08-18-2011 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sasha055
PS: Bumperplugs can get expensive fast.. and I want to try it myself so I can buy and paint rear diffusers later

Combined with the level of quality, and the time savings on your end, Bumperplug's option will save you money, IMO. Quality does not cost more, it will save you in the long run. Your choice. Just throwing out the option.

You could order these parts from Bumperplugs today, and have the project done 100% complete in the next few days, with the core exchange. That's worth a TON, to me, mainly because I'm impatient and a bit of a perfectionist.

Spinnaker 08-18-2011 12:37 PM

A local supplier for autobody paint that has a lot of locations is WESCO. They have a location near you over in Kirkland/Totem Lake area.

WESCO
13400 N.E. 124TH ST. Suite A
Kirkland, WA 98033

(425) 823-5887

WhipE350 08-18-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavor 987S
Combined with the level of quality, and the time savings on your end, Bumperplug's option will save you money, IMO. Quality does not cost more, it will save you in the long run. Your choice. Just throwing out the option.

You could order these parts from Bumperplugs today, and have the project done 100% complete in the next few days, with the core exchange. That's worth a TON, to me, mainly because I'm impatient and a bit of a perfectionist.

Actually Eric is pretty backed up, some stuff he does have in stock. I will say though it's worth the wait on the bumperettes. I'm waiting for a part painted now and he has about a 6 week wait. I'd imagine the spring and summer rush will slow down with fall coming and he should get caught up.

Steve, removing the center console isn't too bad, I found a DYI, there are some hidden screws to make sure you find. The bumperettes come off in seconds.

sasha055 08-18-2011 09:35 PM

I'll try to DIY it, as soon as my kids will give me some free time, I'll post before and after pics.

Thanks everyone for advice

ProjectM96 08-19-2011 04:48 AM

Those bumper plugs are expensive. I am just going to go to a arts and crafts store and buy plugs for $2.