Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #1

Bose Speaker question

another question on the porsche radio with bose speakers... I have a 2003 boxster (base). Have a CDR 230 headunit and bose speakers. The amp keeps going out. I know there is a guy on ebay that will fix it for $179 but I'm wondering if I want to upgrade to a new headunit so I can play my IPOD do I have to have the bose amp to run the bose speakers or can i get around doing something else? thanks
Ed

houstoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
pk2

I wouldn't think so. A speakers a speaker and amps an amp. To be sure I'd find out if there are more than 2 wires going to each speaker. If not you should be fine.

Regards, PK
Old 08-19-2011, 06:49 AM   #3

no, the amp is not necessary but BOSE is known to do quirky things in regards to speaker resistance etc. So you'll want to know the speaker ratings to match an appropriate amp. More importantly, the '03+ systems use the MOST fiber-optic set up (the amp is a part of this loop). As such you'll either need to find a MOST compatible (difficult to do) head unit or just plan on replacing h/u & amp. And that takes you back to the speakers which you may want or need to scrap so everything works and is mated well.

Good luck

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote