Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Carnut

Just ordered Durametric cable and software!

Yep, pulled the trigger! I guess this will be a good investment since we have not only the Boxster but also an '08 Cayenne S with no plans to change vehicles anytime soon.

This will be fun!!

Later,
Andy

Old 08-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #2

I just got mine a few days ago, unfortunately too late, i used an ELM dongle and torque, and then guessed at the error codes (Bad idea) though educated guess at chain tensioner, turns out no reading at all from bank 2 cam sensor, still trying for a solution to the problem, but I would have saved 120 bucks and two evenings and a good part of the weekend to discover it still wont run right (worth every bit of the $289). Durametric is the first thing I think people should look at, then buy the used Porsche.... If you cant afford the tool, best not drive the car....

Flat Six Smiley!
Porsche Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:24 AM   #3

The Durametric software is great! I triggered my first CEL about a month ago and figured it was due to my running hardware...(catless and have been for about a year now...See sig below..basically wide open and love it)..

I thought maybe I should take it to the dealer since I'm due an annual service, but figured what the hell, they would probably "find" something wrong while my wife and I were out shopping and I would be hard pressed to say fix it...unaware of the probable costs...

I found the Duramtric 6.0 software to be great, and was able to clear the CEL in less than a second and it has not come back...And sure enough, it was exactly what I expected....an ageing o2 sensor.

The software is pretty neat in that you can see quite a bit of diagnostic data. Number of ignitions, over revs, engine hours to date and a host of other features. It's not a PST2 or the current P-car dealer system, but I could see where in the future, these items could be added in the software...

I purchased the enthusiast cable so I can play with another 2 vehicles and that is plenty. For the money, you cannot go wrong with it. Good piece of mind having one....

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
Carnut

I really like the flat six smile!!!

Can't wait to get the new tool!
Old 08-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to ABQautoxer
I have a the Pro version and love it, already checked several cars with it. Very handy, especially if you do your own maintenance on 987s.
ABQautoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #6

I got mine two weeks ago. Everything else is great, but software version 6 can't make connection to the tiptronic. But that's not a big problem, because sw version 5 connects to the tip.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketsa
I got mine two weeks ago. Everything else is great, but software version 6 can't make connection to the tiptronic. But that's not a big problem, because sw version 5 connects to the tip.
I didn't know that. I bought my unit about 4 months ago and have the v6 software. I'd have the Tip and would like to have the ability to read temps, etc. Where can a person find v5 software? And will having 2 versions on your computer mess stuff up?
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:02 AM   #8
Carnut

Go to their website and read a bit.
You can have both 5 and 6 on your laptop.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #9

SV 6 is only a beta release, so probably they will fix the tip problem someday.

Does anyone else have problems with the SV 6 and the Tip? Just wondering that the problem might be only on some model years Boxsters.