Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #1

Garage
Too good??

So I am totally new to boxster. I hope to purchase one soon. I found a great deal on a 2006 boxster s with 33k miles. They are asking 31k for it. It's a one owner car. The problem, it's 300 miles away and I have been talking on the phone. I asked why they did not CPO it? Well we would have to spend money. Oveall the car checks out clean. Had 2 warranty recalls, 1 for a oil cap and another for something minor. The invoice says boxster and not boxster s. But listing show 3.2l 6 speed do I am assuming it's an S and not just badged right? Please help

Xmode007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #2

Never assume anything, especially on a car purchase!

See it in person, get a PPI, do whatever it takes to pick it apart. Porsche maintenance is not cheap and it's better to find out every issue (no matter how small) up front.

Any pictures of the vehicle? Post them and someone could probably identify it from S or base. The seller should be able to answer that question. Interior pics? Is it a manual or TIP?
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #3

Garage
Here's the link.
Link http://www.vwofocalafl.com/VehicleDetails/used-2006-Porsche-Boxster-2dr_Roadster_S-Ocala-FL/1135233453
Old 08-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #4

That car is definitely ...

... an "S".
But do invest in a PPI.
It will be the best money you spend on that car.
A good PPI will give you enough information to make a smart decision about the purchase.
It should also tell you what the market value for that particular car in that market should be.
I know, that's what I do for a living (PPI).
Good luck.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 08-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #5

Garage
How could one arrange ppi? The car is at a Porsche dealership.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #6

Garage
Pay for a thorough PPI, and if the results are positive, then negotiate the cost off of the purchase agreement .
Old 08-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #7

missing windscreens/glass or just me? I don't know if 987's have them or not.

It's definitely an "S" model though (exhaust is dual tip, badging, wheels, red calipers, engine size, 6 speed transmission)
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #8

First, I don't believe in considering a car or offering anything sight unseen. Drive to see it then, if you want it, give them a deposit and tell the dealership to CPO the car. Once you've done that, you've really got more security than even a PPI. Then drive it home like you stole it and enjoy your purchase.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #9

Garage
UPDATE:

I pressed on the sales guy and he would not produce service history at all on the car. Over the weekend I e-mailed the manager and BAM i get the service ticket. On it had my answer I have been asking for so long. Why can't the car be CPO'd?

Reason: The PCM needs to be replaced, the screen has a dead pixel, all this time in the picture i thought it was sun glaring I even asked the guy and he said it was the sun glaring. Major maintenance needs to be completed, belts, hoses, etc..., and a power switch for seat needs to be replaced.

I am estimating at least 2-3k for all of those repairs, PCM being the most expensive.

Totally staying away from that car.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #10

Well many dealers prefer to "reduce rather than repair". Tell him/her you will give their price less the estimate for the repairs. When I bought mine It was advertised at a proper dealer price. When I asked for the repair log and information about the brakes they didn't know the answers. I called the Porsche dealer down the street and they told me "if" it needed the major and brakes it would be 2,400 - $3,400 at a max. depending on the brakes. I offered the dealer $3,000 under asking and bought the car. I took it to the Porsche dealer and it needed nothing. I got an oil change to give me a known baseline and was out the door at no expense as my dealer gives new Porsche customers a free oil change.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmode007
UPDATE:

I pressed on the sales guy and he would not produce service history at all on the car. Over the weekend I e-mailed the manager and BAM i get the service ticket. On it had my answer I have been asking for so long. Why can't the car be CPO'd?

Reason: The PCM needs to be replaced, the screen has a dead pixel, all this time in the picture i thought it was sun glaring I even asked the guy and he said it was the sun glaring. Major maintenance needs to be completed, belts, hoses, etc..., and a power switch for seat needs to be replaced.

I am estimating at least 2-3k for all of those repairs, PCM being the most expensive.

Totally staying away from that car.
Great homework! I still don't see the dead pixel, but then I don't know the 987 interior. If they really did try to hide it and the sales guy knew...it isn't worth it to me to offer them less. Good manager though.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:42 AM   #12

CPO a car costs the dealer money and if they're not doing it either the mileage is too high or there's a list of repairs needed that the dealer is not willing to spend money on to sell the car.

In this case it does raise the red flag for you and good that you went after them to get the real story.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #13

Garage
Just brought my new ride. Got an 05 boxster s with PCM 2.1, power seats, Carrera s wheels, Bose audio, etc... Pretty much all I wanted and it's a CPO. I guess working with local reputable dealers who have a passion for porsches vs selling you anything really helps.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #14

Pics...where's the pics??
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #15

Is there a Porsche dealership in Ocala ? Wasn't aware of one and the car would have to be sent to one to be CPO correct?
ocoeeboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:49 AM   #16

Garage
Yes Porsche of Ocala, Fl. BUT I did not fly down to purchase mine. I ended up buying locally in Atlanta.