986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   I don't want to jinx myself but my car is working perfectly (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/29978-i-dont-want-jinx-myself-but-my-car-working-perfectly.html)

Dale_K 08-10-2011 10:55 AM

I don't want to jinx myself but my car is working perfectly

New coolant tank, a huge vacuum leak fixed (brake booster line) and my car has never run better. Absolutely everything is functioning in good order. I should start an over-under pool on how many miles I'll go before another Boxster quirk bites me in the ass. So far I've never gone more than 3,000 trouble free miles before a new significant repair item has surfaced.

And you guys with a vacuum leak that you've been unable to locate should take a close look at the booster line. It took a smoke test to pinpoint it on my car. It rubbed a hole in itself near the air cleaner housing.

Overdrive 08-10-2011 11:29 AM

Put me down for 3,001 miles! :dance: (if you do indeed start a pool, lol)

Thumbs up on enjoying a trouble free period with the Box...the Box that Rocks. :cheers:

thstone 08-10-2011 01:53 PM

My 1971 Triumph TR-6 never made it past 300 miles in a single stretch without crapping out! I'm more than happy with several thousand! :D

BMoney5327 08-10-2011 04:44 PM

Brought mine with 94k miles and now have 97k, soo far so good...Previous owner took good care of it though! Knock on wood for a better remaining period! :dance:

Mark_T 08-10-2011 04:53 PM

25000 km and counting since I bought the car and no issues to speak of. Had to replace my park brake switch and a section of clutch line that succumbed to a road hazard. Can't blame the car for the clutch line failure. Apart from that it has just been regular maintenance and upgrades.

WhipE350 08-10-2011 05:39 PM

Put me down for 5986 miles. I got my 2000 'S' last Nov with 53000 miles and now have over 56400 on it, only actual 'Repairs' needed odometer bulb and trunk shocks. I'm taking another 350+ trip on the 19th and am crossing my fingers...was hoping to do the water pump just for good luck this weekend but don't think I'll have the part in time.

Overdrive 08-11-2011 06:30 AM

Sounds like a nice list of "repairs" to have, whip.

Let's see, been about a thousand miles since the IMS and RMS replacement, filter and MAF replacement, and the new top. Still have the CEL that occurred before those came around, but I'll have to report back here once the car is problem free to see how far I go.

paulv 08-11-2011 07:57 AM

Dale, Good luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale_K
.................................. It took a smoke test to pinpoint it on my car. It rubbed a hole in itself near the air cleaner housing.

I like to get a smoke machine but the want I want is beyond my "DIY budget"!!

Dale, good luck and I hope you can drive many more enjoyable miles and nothing happens!

Regards,
paul..

WhipE350 08-12-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive
Sounds like a nice list of "repairs" to have, whip.

Let's see, been about a thousand miles since the IMS and RMS replacement, filter and MAF replacement, and the new top. Still have the CEL that occurred before those came around, but I'll have to report back here once the car is problem free to see how far I go.

Ok we are talking "Repairs"...I break stuff down to the following categories:

"Repairs" - Actual things that break and have to be fixed.

"Maintenance" - Schedule stuff, wear and tear items (brakes, rotors, wipers, polishing back window).

"Preventative Maintenance" - Things are would fall into the category of Repair or Maintenance if I wanted to wait, but since I 'like' working on the car I do them early. I've done a lot of this, gives me that 'new' car happiness. :) . Oh I will do the RMS and IMS in the fall, don't have to but heck stay ahead of the curve.

"Modifications" - Things like new rims, painting bumperettes, spacers, smoked lights...the list goes on.

All said and done we are talking $$$$.$$, from a repairs point of view the car has been fantastic even with the previous owner...knock on wood I hope it stays that way. Interestingly the following list are all the "Repairs" the car has had, most of them occurred very early in it's life, they seem like quality assurance stuff during manufacturing:

Fender Liners
Hi and Low Tone Horn
Radio
Battery
Oxygen Sensor 2
Warranty Battery
Rear CV Boots
Low Tone Horn
Air Mass Sensor MAF
Odometer Bulb (tan)
Rear Trunk Shocks
Convertible Latch Rivets

:cheers:

Overdrive 08-14-2011 05:23 AM

No no, wasn't trying to talk down your repairs, whip, I was saying that really wouldn't be a bad list of repairs to have to do. ;) Shoulda thrown up some emoticon sarcasm.

Even still, your whole list is pretty nice, looks like you ended up with a good one.

All I was listing following that was the work done on my own car recently, in which I forgot to list the oil change, which is a mix of repairs and maintenance by your definitions, which I agree with for the most part, and how far it's gone since without major issue. It actually hit exactly 44,000 as I pulled back into my driveway in the middle of last week. :D

I'm trying to make sure I take the car out as often as I can to put miles on it and not have it sitting around too long. I try to take it to work at least a few times a week, and just go out for some joyrides so it doesn't sit idle for too long.

She does need work, though, that's for sure, so the budget is being built to start knocking out some preventative maintenance items

WhipE350 08-14-2011 07:28 AM

Overdrive...oh no offense taken at all, I knew you weren't slamin my list :) . My basic point is there is a lot said about all the 'repairs' these cars need and generally forums are here for folks to help each other with them so we don't here a lot of stats on the cars out there that have few 'repairs'.

Did you do your IMS and RMS as preventative? I will be this fall. I have a pretty big list of preventative maintenance I have done, most would be expensive at a dealer can be done very inexpensively as dyi jobs. I put my struts in this category but with the low mileage it probably was an expensive mod.

I'm taking another long trip next weekend and didn't get a fresh water pump in. I'll probably take it out and find it is like new :). There does seem to be enough age related things in these cars that create (for me) a little bit of uncertainty when headed for long trips. The nice thing is I really enjoy working on them and with some preventative work that uncertainty can be removed.

Did you do the IMS and RMS yourself?

Dale_K 08-22-2011 06:45 AM

I might have jinxed myself after all. I gassed up the car yesterday and smelled coolant. I convinced myself it was somebody else's car but later I could smell it in the garage. It got so bad my glasses fogged up when I walked from the air-conditioned house into the garage.

I took off the top cover and couldn't find anything. I pulled back the trunk trim and didn't see anything there either. There are no drops on the floor. Today I drove the car again about 30 miles but in 80 deg weather and the smell was less. I pulled the cover again and still couldn't find anything.

The tank cap is new and sealing great. There was significant pressure in the tank when I unscrewed the cap. The level was up to the top.

Sometimes this car makes me sad with all the issues. I almost wish the leak was bad enough to pour out. At least I could find it that way.

Overdrive 08-22-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Overdrive...oh no offense taken at all, I knew you weren't slamin my list :) . My basic point is there is a lot said about all the 'repairs' these cars need and generally forums are here for folks to help each other with them so we don't here a lot of stats on the cars out there that have few 'repairs'.

Did you do your IMS and RMS as preventative? I will be this fall. I have a pretty big list of preventative maintenance I have done, most would be expensive at a dealer can be done very inexpensively as dyi jobs. I put my struts in this category but with the low mileage it probably was an expensive mod.

I'm taking another long trip next weekend and didn't get a fresh water pump in. I'll probably take it out and find it is like new :). There does seem to be enough age related things in these cars that create (for me) a little bit of uncertainty when headed for long trips. The nice thing is I really enjoy working on them and with some preventative work that uncertainty can be removed.

Did you do the IMS and RMS yourself?

Yeah, Whip, my IMS and RMS work was done as a preventative measure, and since it was due anyways I got the oil changed at the same time while it was in the shop. The car's a 97, had just over 40k on it when I got it, on its way to 45 now, and had about 43k or so on it when the IMS was done. The car sat in a lot exposed to everything New England has to offer for about 5 years before it became mine, so I knew it was barely driven during that time and that didn't bode well for an IMS bearing, among other things. There's a lot that it needs that I'm going to try and knock out little by little and as the funding becomes available. My next big thing to address (at least the way I'm planning it and barring a surprise issue) is the suspension. It's not shot, but it could certainly be better, and at slow speed the front end loves to clunk around at the slightest road imperfections. Good excuse to put in RoW M030 bits, and depending on how involved that is I may very well DIY it. :D

Hey Dale, sorry to hear that there seems to be an issue yet again. Do you think that maybe some coolant may have spilled and is just burning off rather than a sneaky leak?

...and how many miles did ya get before it happened?

:dance:

RandallNeighbour 08-22-2011 10:34 AM

I took my car out of the garage for the first time in two months to clean it up and get it inspected (annual state inspection) and drive it around a bit. Ran like a top.

There's no way this is gonna last. Something's gotta crap out on it sooner than later. After all, there's still almost 20 pieces on the car I have yet to replace aside from the sheet metal! :eek:

SoK 08-22-2011 03:51 PM

bought my '01 last September with 42k miles, put it in the shop and had the RMS, oil filler tube, spark plug o-rings and everything else associated with those repairs replaced. it's been 12 months and 8500 miles and it drives better than it did last year.

Very pleased with this car. I daily drive it and enjoy getting in it everyday.

putting a new air filter, cabin filter and fuel filter in next week, and changing the oil in late september before it starts cooling off.

WhipE350 08-22-2011 04:43 PM

Dale, sorry to hear this. You know a couple times I drove my car I got a faint smell of antifreeze but then it went away. I was like ok that's not my car...is it...then I passed a donut shop. keep us posted.

Overdrive, nice to have that IMS! I'll do mine this fall. I just got a genuine water pump and engine mount at dealer + 10%...family discount. I'm sure I'll pull mine off and they'll be like brand new. If they are you are welcome to them ;)

Randall, you must have summer cabin fever, you don't even have mountains to drive to to cool off. I'm sure you are happy fall is coming :)

MikeinLA 08-22-2011 08:18 PM

My '05 S has never given me a problem. The 4 year CPO warrantee ran out in June. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the RMS under warrantee and searched for anything else to fix. I had them put in a new clutch while they were doing the RMS since there was no labor charge. She runs like a top. :cheers:

Mike