Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #1

I think I'm ready to sell my Boxster..

Since I bought my S a few months ago, I've had nothing but issues. I managed to get it for a fairly cheap price, but I don't think it makes up for the issues I've had, never mind the ongoing issues.

What I've had to do so far:
  • Replace the clutch
  • Replace the flywheel
  • Replace the transmission main shaft seal, twice
  • Replace the Air/Oil seperator

And the remaining major issues:
  • Transmission rear main shaft seal seems to be leaking still, or at least, gear oil is getting out somehow (picture below)
  • Neither windows work (tried fixing the door lock mechanism, have to try and replace them now)
  • Drivers door interior handle has a broken spring, needs replaced
  • The handbrake switch it faulty, so the roof doesn't always go down (I have the switch, but haven't replaced it yet)
  • The alarm doesn't work (I think it is because of the windows)
  • Airbag light is on
  • I need to clean the MAF; idle issues + hesitation when accelerating (when cold) (which the Air/Oil separator didn't fix)
  • Had a few CEL light appearances (misfire; never happened again. throttle control issues; which hasn't happened again)
  • There must be an alignment issue as the whole car is shaking quite a bit over 70mph
  • IMS needs to be replaced
  • Random pipe from engine (picture below)

Never mind all the little niggles which are mostly cheap, but time consuming:
  • No floor mats
  • Interior lights don't work
  • Headlight adjustment sensor on back wheel is broken
  • Needs a new radio, as the buttons are sticky (tried cleaning them) and the iPod cable doesn't work on it for some unknown reason
  • Speakers need to be properly installed as the previous owner down a bodge job
  • Window + heated seat switches are a little sticky
  • Passenger side seat reclining switch is broken
  • Dash is wrinkly, could do with a replacement
  • The bolt that goes into one of the rear struts is wrung; needs to be re-threaded
  • Wheels look sexy but they are in awful condition. They need to be reconditioned
  • Key is missing the badge + no spare keys
  • Centre ashtray is broken, needs to be replaced

Now, I don't mind having some issues, but when there are so many, and so many things keep popping up which are mechanical (and critical to get fixed), it is just like a continuous cycle of spending money. And I've only had the car a few months!

I've no idea what to do right now. I'm just about loosing patience with it, even though I love her..

And a few pictures mentioned above:

rdougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:42 AM   #2

Sounds like you have years of prior owner neglect to get through. Hang in there - you'll get through it, or you could gut it and turn it into a track car...
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:59 AM   #3

What year & mileage? Purchase price? How many of these problems were existing when you bought the car? Also, you don't HAVE to replace the IMS (bearing).
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #4

We may be able to fix 2 of your problems. The "random hose" looks like the one that should plug into the back side of the intake plenum. There is one just like it that plugs into the front side as well. Having it not attached would create a vacuum leak which in turn would cause "idle issues + hesitation when accelerating "

Hope that works out.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I know it seems like a lot, but if you chip away at a few of these, little by little, next thing you know your list will grow much shorter and it'll just be the big stuff that you can really focus on accomplishing. Your steering shake above 70 could be due to tires being out of balance, easy and simple fix. I thought mine was an alignment issue, the whole car and steering used to shudder, but I had the shop that did my IMS job rebalance all the tires, and two of them were way out of balance...the car is now shake free all the way into triple digit territory. $25/wheel, totally worth it, and cheaper than an alignment if you don't need one.

The interior door handle shouldn't be too terribly expensive, see if you can find the parts on Pelican Parts. It's a small thing, yes, but clearly it's compounding with all the other things going on and adding that much more stress to your ownership experience. Knock that out too, shouldn't be tough.

You have the switch for the parking brake, so why not just take care of it?

Unless you have a desire for spiffy new floor mats, I'm sure you can find some used ones that someone is willing to part with here on the forum, or you can spend about $100 for some new ones from Lloyd that will last you a good long time and won't require the little velcro disc attachment.

When you say interior lights, do you mean all the lights on the inside? Dash lighting? The door lights and overhead light?

I know there's gotta be some people here on the forum who would pretty much give you their old, but still fully functioning Porsche radio. Just make sure you're provided with the code, and some time in the future you could always just put in a decent aftermarket unit when you're not spending the funds on upkeeping the car (it's not going to be forever).

The lack of a spare key is a pain, I know, and unfortunately there's not much of a way around spending some money on a spare. I got a non-remote spare, which, coming from the dealer, ran about $250 (because I own a 97, it costs more than any yearfollowing), the majority of that cost being parts cost, but you may be able to get a blank off of eBay that the dealer can cut and program for you, so you could save some money that way. I believe there is also a way for you to program it yourself. And once you have that spare you won't need to do it again unless you're good at losing keys.

Don't let it all overwhelm you. Break it down into small, doable stuff...medium level, more involved stuff with some cost attached to it...and major stuff that needs to take priority and/or more funds to accomplish.

Oh, and the IMS is not a necessity if you're not having problems. I'm not sure what mileage you have, but the higher, the better, really. Just drive the car the way it's meant to be driven and enjoy it as much as possible. If something does happen to the IMS, at least you didn't pay top dollar for the car.

Just hack away at it little by little, and that list will shrink. Don't give up on the car just yet.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

My list was very similar! I bought my car 10 months ago with 86K miles for $10K. Knowing that there are no cheap Porsche's, I knew that I'd likely spend $2,000+ in the first year. Here's what I've done:

•Replace the clutch
•Replace the flywheel
•Replaced the RMS (while doing clutch)
•Replaced the tires

•Replaced both the handbrake switch (so top will work) and the clutch switch (so car will start)
•Replaced the top microswitch in the windshield header (so top will work)
•The alarm didn't work because the front bumper was installed incorrectly. Removed and reinstalled correctly and got the alarm working.
•Had alignment done because the car was shaking quite a bit over 70mph
•Ignored the IMS when I replaced the clutch. Its worked fine for 92K miles, so it will likely last a few more.
•Replaced brake pads and rotors
•Replaced fuel filter
•Replaced spark plugs
•Replaced spark plug tubes
•Changed oil
•Replaced brake fluid
•Replaced engine air filter
•Replaced cabin air filter
•Replaced windshield wiper blades

•Had to buy floor mats (none in car)
•Installed iPod cable
•Installed rear speaker kit
•Wheels aren't in very good condition. Drive as-is.
•Centre ashtray lid was broken, replaced

Overall, this is pretty typical for an affordable 10-year old Porsche with nearly 90K miles. This is why many people on this forum recommend a PPI so you know what you're getting into and the ongoing costs associated with keeping it running and fixing all of the little stuff.

I've been MORE than happy with my car. I mostly expected everything that I've had to do based on my PPI. The clutch/flywheel was the only real surprise (but an expensive one).

In summary, I'd buy the car again in a microsecond!

Now, I need to get out to the garage and check my front brake pads because I have a pad sensor lit up on the dash!

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #7
Porscheectomy

No such thing as a cheap Porsche. Consider that this car will need things replaced that most cars don't all it's life. It will never be inexpensive, even when you've got all of these issues cleared up. This is Porsche ownership.

Last edited by blue2000s; 08-05-2011 at 07:43 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #8

Actually, I'll be selling off my old grey floor mats when the new black ones arrive in a few days. I'll give you a "sympathy price" - it'll be less than half of what new mats would cost, including shipping. Let me know if you're interested.

This is my third summer of Porsche ownership. I started off with a big list too, and all I have left to do now is the water pump and thermostat, which I'll do in the next couple of weeks. Of course there's a bunch more optional stuff that I will want to do over the next few years. Rather than fret about the cost (who cares - it's only money!) I focused instead on how much fun I'm having learning how to do all this stuff myself. It's also an excuse to buy a bunch of cool new tools!

This isn't a cheap hobby, but dude... you own a Porsche! You're living the dream!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

+1 "you own a Porsche! You're living the dream!"

Exactly!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #10

Clearly you're not happy.

Dreaming the dream and owning the dream aren't always the same thing.

Think seriously about cutting your losses.

As others have mentioned, owning a Porsche is EXPENSIVE in the long run (and the short run in your case).

Plan on at least $1200/yr. in ownership costs and save for it. Some years it will be less than $1200, others will be more. Tires alone are an every 2-3 yr. expenditure for a 'driven' car and this will run you between $650 and $1400 (all-in - alignment, balancing, mounting, etc.)

Driving a car held together on the cheap will not be a satisfying experience. And these cars have yet to bottom out on the depreciation scale, meaning you're likely to put more into it than it's worth and won't recover the costs when it's sold. That's OK if you LOVE the car, but there's still no fiscal sense to it.

So, if you don't love it that much, wash/wax it and take 50 pics of you next to the car for your photo album showing the Porsche you once owned and sell it. Then get something that's more in tune with your cost expectations and your wallet.

In the end, you'll be much happier.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 08-05-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #11

in the last year:

IMS, RMS, clutch, Flywheel, starter, alternator, AOS, MAF, expansion tank, shocks, brake pads, rear axle boots, wheel straightening/refinish. I upgraded the exhaust (full Fabspeed) and put on new rubber (Bridgstone Potenza RE-11).

Total damage so far $10,000.

Will need to do control arms, coil packs and the rear plastic window has a nickel size gash. .....yep.

p.s.
If I sell the car I will: A) have to spend more, or A LOT more to get something as good or better (I am skeptical) or B) buy something brand new and have a monthly payment. I opted to keep the car.
Looking at used car prices for Porsches is deceiving. Unless the mileage is very low or the previous owner did extensive maintance, you've got some expensive upkeep to factor into the price.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-05-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #12

rdougan, you basically bought what I bought. A black hole for dead presidents. You're not going to find a carefree Porsche ownership experience that doesn't come with a huge price tag up front or nice big payments every month.

So, if you are still thoroughly disgusted with the prospect of fixing up your car and enjoying it for enough years to make the fixing-up worthwhile, do what LB above suggested. Wash it, wax it, and trade it on something else.

I really wish I had done just that. I bought my '97 in 2004 for $15k, which at the time was $3k under wholesale blue book. I should have put it in an auction, broke even or even made a couple hundred bucks out of the deal, and saved up for a much newer S with far fewer miles on it owned by someone who didn't treat the car like they stole it.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #13

8 months ownership here:

•Replaced the IMS
•Replaced the clutch
•Replaced the flywheel
•Replaced the RMS
•Replaced the motor mount
•Replaced the spark plugs
•Replaced the AOS
•Replaced the water pump
•Replaced shift shaft seal
•Replaced engine air filter
•Replaced cabin air filter
•Changed oil

•Bought track wheels
•Bought track tires
•Track alignment
•Bought track pads
•Replaced brake fluid
•Installed TS Pro short shifter
•Installed TS Pro test pipes

Is this a great car or what?!

Last edited by DFW02S; 08-05-2011 at 01:57 PM.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #14

Garage
Wait, I thought Honda built these things???

Old 08-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
We may be able to fix 2 of your problems. The "random hose" looks like the one that should plug into the back side of the intake plenum. There is one just like it that plugs into the front side as well. Having it not attached would create a vacuum leak which in turn would cause "idle issues + hesitation when accelerating "

Hope that works out.
If you are talking about the hose in the picture with the red arrow pointing at it, it is the overflow hose for the power steering reservoir.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
If you are talking about the hose in the picture with the red arrow pointing at it, it is the overflow hose for the power steering reservoir.
Yes... and to add,... it goes to nothing... it is just a vent tube.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #17

Either I got lucky or I'm on borrowed time

Got my '03 Base last year bascially sight unseen. Ebay purchase for $12,500, which at the time was several thousand below Blue Book retail. Had 80k miles. So far, replaced 3 tires and the motor mount and had an alignment done. It needs new CV boots and the brake fluid flushed according to the post PPI. Everything else works, came with mats, humps with covers, wind deflector with case, and a non-oem car cover.

Now that I've said this, I'm sure something will go terribly wrong (big $$$) in the immediate future.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:43 AM   #18

"If you are talking about the hose in the picture with the red arrow pointing at it, it is the overflow hose for the power steering reservoir."

Aw, too bad - that would have been an easy fix. but at least the hose has been id'd now, so that's one problem down.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #19

Thanks for all the replies; it is a huge booster! I love the car, it is just quite annoying having all these issues. I don't think I've actually had the chance to fully enjoy the car yet (I'm too afraid to remove the toolbox + jack from the trunk). It is especially hard as I have little patience, but hopefully it will pay off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson
What year & mileage? Purchase price? How many of these problems were existing when you bought the car? Also, you don't HAVE to replace the IMS (bearing).
2001, 90k miles. About 50% of the issues I already knew about, not including the clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
I know it seems like a lot, but if you chip away at a few of these, little by little, next thing you know your list will grow much shorter and it'll just be the big stuff that you can really focus on accomplishing. Your steering shake above 70 could be due to tires being out of balance, easy and simple fix. I thought mine was an alignment issue, the whole car and steering used to shudder, but I had the shop that did my IMS job rebalance all the tires, and two of them were way out of balance...the car is now shake free all the way into triple digit territory. $25/wheel, totally worth it, and cheaper than an alignment if you don't need one.
I'll get that done then. It has gotten dramatically worse over the past few days, not getting very shaking even at 45MPH.

Quote:
The interior door handle shouldn't be too terribly expensive, see if you can find the parts on Pelican Parts. It's a small thing, yes, but clearly it's compounding with all the other things going on and adding that much more stress to your ownership experience. Knock that out too, shouldn't be tough.
Yeah, it is just a simple spring that was broken. I identified the problem when taking the door lock mechanism out of the door.

Quote:
You have the switch for the parking brake, so why not just take care of it?
From what I've seen, replacing it is a pita. Though it now sounds simple after replacing the AOS.

Quote:
When you say interior lights, do you mean all the lights on the inside? Dash lighting? The door lights and overhead light?
Any lights that go on when you open a door/flick the switch. Neither trunk lights work either (I've replaced the bulbs).

Quote:
Actually, I'll be selling off my old grey floor mats when the new black ones arrive in a few days. I'll give you a "sympathy price" - it'll be less than half of what new mats would cost, including shipping. Let me know if you're interested.
Thanks for the offer, but I don't think gray would go to well with my black interior.

Quote:
This isn't a cheap hobby, but dude... you own a Porsche! You're living the dream!
Definitely! I love the car, even with it's many faults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Yes... and to add,... it goes to nothing... it is just a vent tube.
Thanks. I thought the same, but couldn't find any information on it.

Does anyone know if it is normal to have that little gap underneath the engine, where the transmission mounts?

Old 08-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #20

And managed to get the car up on a lift today to take better pictures. Look at the amount of gear oil under here..

Bigger image: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/RwAGHy3zOi7mpVbBJzDEsw?feat=directlink

As for the vibrations, it wasn't a balance issue. Look at the tyre that was on the back:

No idea what has happened. Maybe the tire is just very old? Anyway, not safe. I've replaced it now with the spare tire for now. All the other tires were fine..