986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Black dust on my rear bumper (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/29879-black-dust-my-rear-bumper.html)

Pierre 08-01-2011 08:33 AM

Black dust on my rear bumper

I need to know if it is normal, each time i drove my boxster S for 50 or 60 miles my rear bumper is cover by a black dust who look like tire dust ??
Someone have got the same experience.

blue2000s 08-01-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre
I need to know if it is normal, each time i drove my boxster for 50 or 60 miles my rear bumper is cover by a black dust who look like tire dust ??
Someone have got the same experience.

Near the center of the bumper or along the wheel wells?

Pierre 08-01-2011 08:51 AM

Along the wheel wells and mstly on the bumper parts under the rear stop lens on both sides my boxster is yellow so it is very appearant i got some of that dust on the lower parts of the bumper center.

boxster6354 08-01-2011 09:24 AM

happens to me, nice fine dust to wipe off after my ride

RandallNeighbour 08-01-2011 09:27 AM

Probably tire and brake dust as well...

landrovered 08-01-2011 09:49 AM

Drives me crazy on my yellow boxster, it is especially bad when there is dew out in the morning. I think it is a combination of road grime kicked up by the rear tires and perhaps a bit of exhaust smoke and brake dust thrown in for good measure. My car can be spotless except for the dirt on the rear bumper. Now I take a damp rag and wipe it off when I see the problem. It does not happen when I drive the car later in the day or when it is dry out.

tommy986 08-01-2011 10:50 AM

I get the same thing. I collect it, heat to 500 degrees then re-apply it to the tires.

RandallNeighbour 08-01-2011 11:14 AM

Tommy, that's some serious green innovation there! Tire recycling. Love it! :dance:

Pierre 08-01-2011 12:02 PM

I just put 4 new tires under my baby i think they dont last long with all the tire dust on my bumper ;-(

ekam 08-01-2011 12:45 PM

Uh all my brake dust are coming from the front... unless you have cross-drilled rear then that might explain it.

And tire dust? Wow you guys must drive your car pretty hard huh?? lol.

landrovered 08-01-2011 01:13 PM

In my experience it has nothing to do with how hard you drive, only whether the rear of the car is wet or not.

The other day I drove around a chicken manure truck that had dropped a bunch of the sawdust/crap mix on the road and it was amazing how the aerodynamics of the body caused a huge swirl of poodust behind the car, it reminded me of a jet taking off on a carrier. It 'splained a lot of why the rear bumper gets dirty when it is moist.

BYprodriver 08-02-2011 09:08 AM

It was worse on my yellow Mustang than my yellow Boxster here in LA air & freeways. Fresh wax helps. :)

Beelzy 08-02-2011 09:18 AM

I'll wager it's brake dust from the pads.

Use a rag to wipe the rims and another to wipe the car, the dust will probably be the same color.

Overdrive 08-02-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landrovered
...poodust...

Did anyone else laugh as hard as I did at this term? :D

I have a silver Boxster, and I can't say I've noticed this bumper dust before, but now out of curiosity I'm going to take note if I take the car out on a wet/moist day. I definitely get a LOT of brake dust up front on the wheels, nearly nothing on the rears, and everything is stock. Speaking of which...gonna have to clean those some time this week...

WhipE350 08-02-2011 06:00 PM

I get this also. Car is Guards Red so it doesn't show too bad. Carry a microfiber towel and just keep it clean. It is dust, rubber from other cars on the road, and from your tires. I have checked it after different types of very short and long trips. It is always worse after I drive hard...likely because I'm throwing up more crud from the road and because I'm slinging my on rubber.

BYprodriver 08-03-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipE350
I get this also. Car is Guards Red so it doesn't show too bad. Carry a microfiber towel and just keep it clean. It is dust, rubber from other cars on the road, and from your tires. I have checked it after different types of very short and long trips. It is always worse after I drive hard...likely because I'm throwing up more crud from the road and because I'm slinging my on rubber.

After a long day at stunt driving school I have rubber dust in my ears & hair. :D

landrovered 08-03-2011 11:47 AM

Lighter colors show more, it is hardly noticeable my wife's dark blue 98 but sticks out like a sore thumb on speed yellow. If you wipe with a cloth on a dark car it will come up dirty.

If it was brake dust I would have had to replace pads, could be tire dust, the life of my last two sets of rears was appalling. I think it is oily exhaust fumes, a bit of road grime, some tire dust, some brake dust and even some poodust on occasion.