Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2005, 04:09 AM   #1

Does it hurt to redline the tack ??

Hey guys Just wondering the red line on the tack is that what it means go to it wil it hurt the car I dont red line it all time but when i fel like going ing or Have a friend want to try it out i tel him thats what it means so go to it lol is that bad dont want to hurt the car but u can red line it and never know it it sound so good but most cars u try that and it sounds like it might blow

boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:47 AM   #2

If you're accelerating, the rev limiter will catch it before it does engine damage. Course if you don't shift before the limiter intervenes it throws timimg off on the shift.

Downshifting is another story, you CAN over-rev on a downshift if not careful. The manual cautions against doing this - can cause engine damage.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:31 AM   #3

yea one outher thing whats the down shifting speed like for passing if your doing 30 mph what gears safe to go into
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:05 AM   #4

2nd gear

Mike
99-Boxster-MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:42 AM   #5

Boywonder:

You really must learn to use punctuation. Most are found on the right side of your keyboard and will be very useful in correspondence at school and work.

In fact, their consistent and correct use may even allow you to get ahead in life considering nearly every job computer-based these days.

Before you get mad at my comment (thinking this isn't important like school or work, just an internet forum) think about it... if good writing habits are not practiced when it doesn't count, how can one be sure he will do the correct thing when it really matters, such as a job application?

Always show the world your intelligence, talents and skills. No one else will.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:55 AM   #6

Talking

I would second Randall's comments. In fact, I was going to reply to your post but candidly, I did not want to wade through your message, trying to figure out what you were really communicating.

This is NOT meant to degrade you, simply inform you.

Thanks

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:33 PM   #7

It is a sweet sound when the Boxster is wound up. So happy to see people who want to drive their Porsche as if it were a Porsche! Most people baby them and they start to sound horrible, like an old Chevette.

Like others said, just be careful on the down shifts. As you shift UP the gears, make a note of the speed when you get to the 6K rpm range. I don't have a '99 so I'm guessing it redlines at 7K like the '00. That way you know your are safe when down shifting to second at 30mph, etc. There may also be a top speed listing for each gear in the user's manual, but I'm not sure. They have it in the 928 manual and it was pretty neat to see it can go 135mph in 3rd gear (not the Boxster so don't try that please).

She likes to be driven hard so enjoy!!
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:06 PM   #8

Ditto Bruce and Randall.
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:50 PM   #9

To answer that garbled mess above and reiterate what the others said, no it will not hurt your engine to take it redline. The boxer engine likes revs and was meant to do so. Not taking it to near redline once in awhile is an injustice to yourself and the car. Your car has a built in rev limiter so it cannot over-rev while you accelerate. Mis-shifting or choosing the wrong gear while decelerating is another story. I've mis-shifted a couple times and the engine has seen 8,000+ rpm on a couple occasions. When you shift at redline in 3rd and hit 2nd due to shifting with too much zeal the car's back tires lock up for a sec and you get thrown forward hard. You then get a sick feeling for a minute like someone just kicked you in the groin quickly followed by embarrasment. I don't recammend it.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:25 AM   #10

Talking

To be a bit more complete on this answer I would add the following.

You have to define what you mean by "will it hurt my engine." From the perspective of an ocassional fling at the redline, I think the advice above is quite sound.

However, if you want a more complete picture of "hurt," the fact is that routinely revving your Box up near redline will prematurely lead to your engine's decline and certain death.

I recently read of tests conducted on this very subject. Basically, above a certain level, higher average piston speeds and RPMs led directly to shorter engine lives.

Put another way, if I average say 3000 rpms over 5000 hours of driving and you average 4500, you will, on average, be visiting Porsche for that new motor a lot more quickly than I will.

This is not to say you should not drive this way, simply that overall, there is no cheating the man!

Drive safely, buckle up!!!!!!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee

This is not to say you should not drive this way, simply that overall, there is no cheating the man!

Drive safely, buckle up!!!!!!

That's right Bruce, there is no cheating the man. You can't take it with you so you so I say have fun with it while you still can.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:00 AM   #12

Just think of it as the more the parts move, the more the engine's going to wear, so yes, of course higher revs lead to shorter engine life. I don't know if I'd call it "premature" engine death though.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #13

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the engine would require MORE maintenance and breaks down easier if the engine is rarely driven and drives in low RPMs all the time. That high rev actually keeps the parts "strong". :dance:

yellowbox is offline   Reply With Quote