986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Best way of adjusting the hardtop ? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/29694-best-way-adjusting-hardtop.html)

shlim8 07-14-2011 09:31 PM

Best way of adjusting the hardtop ?

Sorry for the newbie question....

What is the best way of adjusting the hardtop ?

I realized that my hardtop is misaligned... and one side is rubbing against the trim on the body. The other side is high and further out. Giving me alot of creaking noise too.

After I removed my hardtop I realized that there is 5 bolts on each side that control the up/down, left/right....

Can I put the hardtop on and do the adjustment then ? seems like abit of hit and miss with the top off, but then, I suspect the access may be tight (didn't notice the removeable panels till the top was off).

Paul 07-15-2011 08:08 PM

Remove the access panels that cover the adjustment bolts and install the top on the car and if possible close all 3 latches. ID which way each side needs to go, then release the 2 red handles in the rear of the roof. Make small adjustments to each side then latch the rear handles. Repeat until happy.

Or if you have someone to help you, loosen the adjustment screws and install the top with all latches latched. Have some hold both sides where you want the top to be and tighten the adjustment screws.

larryholmes 01-17-2018 05:26 PM

Hardtop Adjustment

I painted the hardtop of my 98 Boxster which was lost in a rear end hit and run, to match my 02 replacement. Now the rear of the hardtop sits almost an inch above the body below. Do the adjustment screws on each side serve to lower the hardtop?

larryholmes 01-17-2018 05:29 PM

BTW the hardtop is well aligned and the seals sit well on the surfaces below with no openings on the 02 Boxster. Even at highway speed there is no air leak but the red latch handles don't move all the way back and I don't feel them seat into a detent position like I did on the 98 Boxster.

JBauer 01-17-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryholmes (Post 560442)
I painted the hardtop of my 98 Boxster which was lost in a rear end hit and run, to match my 02 replacement. Now the rear of the hardtop sits almost an inch above the body below. Do the adjustment screws on each side serve to lower the hardtop?

The bolts allow for back and forth, side to side and up and down.

rick3000 01-17-2018 09:43 PM

My levers no longer "click" into place, I think it might be age related. If the levers are pushed in as far as possible and parallel with the side of the hardtop, I have never had one come loose. I have a section on my website for adjusting the hardtop, here's that info. :cheers:
Quote:

Adjustment
Hardtops tend to 'settle' on the car they are installed on, which means used tops often need to be adjusted, especially for the first few weeks after being installed. There are two types of adjustments that may be necessary, adjusting the window tracks and the body.

Window Adjustment
If the windows are not aligning vertically with the hardtop, you may need to adjust the door window regulator. If the windows are not aligning with the hardtop track horizantally, you can adjust the window seal tracks. To do this, place the hardtop upside down on a soft surface (carpet, grass, etc), and carefully pull the rubber window seal out of its metal track. Beginning near the spinlock lever, you should should see two screws under the rubber. Loosen the screws and adjust the seal track as necessary and retighten. Then replace the rubber seal into the metal track. I used a flathead screwdriver to help replace the seal into the track.

Body Adjustment
Adjusting the hardtop is important to help reduce exessive squeaking and/or wind noise caused by poor fitment. I repeated this process several times the first few weeks after I installed my hardtop, as it was settling to my car. I also repeat this process when I reinstall the hardtop if it has been off the car for an extended period.

Inside the hardtop on each side, just above the spinlock levers there are two plastic covers that pop out to reveak three hex head bolts. To adjust the hardtop, secure the A-pillar clamp, then loosen the hex bolts on each side of the top. Have an assistant push forward and down as hard as possible on the hardtop, and tighten the bolts on each side. You may want to lock/unlock the spinlock levers while doing this. Repeat as necessary.