Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #1

Track helmet

I need a new track helmet. Any suggestions on which one I should get? It's got to be SA2010 if course. Not too sure about a flat black colour...like it but it may be too hot.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #2

The snel Diamond back is my fav.
http://simpsonraceproducts.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=10414&sort=
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
A helmet is a very personal choice because every head is different and drivers are looking for different things. Also several Helmet Mfg have still not ramped up production on SA 2010 versions yet. The new Bell Sport model is at a good price point but I have no idea how it fits.

For DE and Time Trial use with sessions limited to about 25 minutes I look for:
1. Good fit, snug but no pressure points.
2. Light weight
3. Good visibility
4. Hans compatible
5. Cost

If I were doing enduro racing I would consider the ventilation models.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #4

I was considering not worrying about Hans as the helmet may likely expire before I am racing. This would open up the field to motorcycle helmets....Do you feel that Hans will be mandatory for all track exposure soon
Old 07-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
I was considering not worrying about Hans as the helmet may likely expire before I am racing. This would open up the field to motorcycle helmets....Do you feel that Hans will be mandatory for all track exposure soon
No. Just a personal safety consideration. If you use a 5/6 point harness, you probably also need a HANS to protect your neck (see Dale Earnhart Sr.). With a harness your torso is effectively locked in place and your neck becomes the weakest link by far in a crash. If you still run stock 3pt belts, your torso is allowed some movement which actually protects your neck somewhat. Active airbags also contribute to neck/head protection.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #6

What kind of events do you plan to run?
If you are just doing a couple of AX events per year, a full face M2005 will tech and is available at a reasonable price.

If you're doing any DE/track events, I would go for an SA2005 or SA2010 w/ HANS. It's less than an M030 suspension kit - BEFORE installation.

A guy in one of my clubs is a COM instructor and was riding shotgun during two accidents last weekend. Sore ribs, but the HANS saved his neck....twice.

...and no, I'm not letting him ride shotgun in my car ever again.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #7

DE and track no race

How do people feel about open face versus closed? I have used closed but perhaps my sit. awareness would be improved with open.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Definitely get closed faced. Your face and jaw will appreciate the coverage. No worry re: situational awareness.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 07-13-2011 at 11:57 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
Pat

Buy what fits best. Try them on locally if at all possible.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #10

Definitely get open faced ...

... for non-track cars.
If you have an airbag that can deploy in case of a frontal hit you will be better off with an open-faced helmet.
There have been several incidents of broken necks when a deploying airbag catches the bottom edge of a full-faced helmet and forces the head back while the body is still moving forward.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 07-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #11

Thanks some really good info here!

Pedro: so the edge of a helmet has been found to be worse than a chin; it would give more friction but I would have thought at the velocity of an air bag the friction force generated would be on the same order as a chin...intersesting

Thanks never had heard of this before...

Last edited by jaykay; 07-13-2011 at 02:37 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #12

I recently bought a Bell M4 in the flat black.
Like it a lot. I wear glasses and this one has a wider face opening, visor lifts up and completely out of the way, has support for hans. Most sites that sell helmets also have a sizing chart and explain how to measure your head to determine the proper size.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks some really good info here!

Pedro: so the edge of a helmet has been found to be worse than a chin; it would give more friction but I would have thought at the velocity of an air bag the friction force generated would be on the same order as a chin...intersesting

Thanks never had heard of this before...

When a steering wheel airbag deploys, it is supposed to hit the driver square in the chest to slow down the torso and prevent trauma to the driver.

That's the main reason why Porsche cars don't have an up-and-down steering wheel adjustment, just an in-and-out. Porsche claims that if you are able to move the steering wheel up or down your chest will not be the airbag's target anymore.

They did extensive ergonomic and crash tests to come up with the best solution.

Porsche crash-tested with dummies wearing helmets and 3-point seat belts, in street cars and found out that in some instances, the upper edge of the airbag would catch the lower edge of a full-faced helmet and push it back while the dummy's body was still moving forward.

Driving with a full-faced helmet in an airbag equipped car is more dangerous because the helmet is much wider than your chin and protrudes at least a couple of inches further out so it offers a bigger target for the airbag.

Remember that most helmets were designed for racing applications, where the driver is wearing a 5 or a 6-point harness (in this case it is highly recommended that you also wear a HANS device since your body is strapped to the seat and, in a frontal crash, the only thing moving forward by inertia would be your head.

Also, racecars don't have airbags, so these issues only came up when some manufacturers did crash-testing research under DE conditions.

I saw one of those videos from Porsche and one from Mercedes Benz some years ago when the company that I was running started to look at a safety-helmet manufacturer for a possible merger.
It really wasn't pretty looking at the crash dummy's head go back completely in a more-than-90 degree angle to his body.
From that day on, I've only used an open faced helmet in my airbag-equipped car.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 07-14-2011, 06:41 AM   #14

Pedro,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. I will look into the availability of open faced helmets.....they are harder to come by up here anyway
Old 07-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Pedro,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. I will look into the availability of open faced helmets.....they are harder to come by up here anyway
Most, if not all of the major manufacturers have a couple of open-faced helmets.
When you purchase, also ask if they have any Snell SA 2005 leftover for sale.
Because the new 2010 certified helmets are out they can deeply discount the 2005s which will still be accepted at any track event until 2015.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro