986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Boxster Audio....HELP!!! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/2965-boxster-audio-help.html)

Y2BOX 06-22-2005 01:30 AM

Boxster Audio....HELP!!!

Hi all.....My 2001 S has the basic CDR 22 system with dash speakers only, does anyone know of an easy way of upgrading the speakers, Porsche are telling me to fit the bose now would cost ££££'S.....any advice?? I would like to keep the head unit and not chop up the dash....

Brucelee 06-22-2005 05:54 AM

The Bose would NOT be the way to go in my opinion. Frankly, they don't sound all that much better in the Porsche IMHO.

A quality stereo shop can help. The basic becker unit is kind of junk so if you really want high quality sound, I think you are on the way down that road of complete swap out. Another way to go is to add the amplifier that the Becher unit has in the 911s. That would help and there is room for it in the front trunk.

After that, a decent compromise is to add speakers to the rear. This can be done somewhat inexpensively and the sound addition is pretty good IMHO.

If you do a search here on this topic, you should come up with tons of good data.

Good luck.

Y2BOX 06-24-2005 12:52 PM

Thanks...I have decided to go for a set of alpine components, 17cm in the doors and replacing the dash speakers with alpine tweeters...also adding an Alpine amp to the front storage section.....I will let you know the results next friday when fitted.........Cheers........

bigislandboxster 06-24-2005 01:17 PM

Good luck!

I am just about in the process of upgrading my audio in my '98 as well....Have all the components, just waiting on the door speaker gaskets to get started.Was going to have it installed by a professional, but I think I can do it alone....Focal 2 ways in the dash, Focal 5WS Subs in the door, Audson 4 channel amp and Nak head unit.....Should be starting soon!

Show some pics of the completed project if ya can! ;)

xavier405 06-24-2005 03:51 PM

Please post your change in sound quality with the new speakers. That is the quickest and easiest way to change things - just swap out the existing speakers! On top of that of course is add the rear speakers.

One question for the board - I've seen the threads on adding rear speakers. But I'm not clear if they need an additional amp, or if the existing head unit has two more outputs?

Thanks
- X

donv 06-24-2005 09:03 PM

The CDR220 head unit has add'l outputs for the rear channels - if you have a fader control on your unit, then you should be all set.