986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Front Plate (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/2957-front-plate.html)

rboutin 06-21-2005 06:11 AM

Front Plate

Does anyone know where I can purchase the hardware for a front plate bracket? I know it's hideously ugly but it's required by law in Mass and I just don't want the random hassle of being pulled over.

thanks, randy

YellowJacket 06-21-2005 06:15 AM

You can buy it at the dealer. I believe the bracket, all screws, etc, come to about $15.

ukchris 06-21-2005 10:21 AM

I'm in Mass, I'm sticking with "But there's nowhere to put it officer" for now. I have the plate and bracket in my garage but I'm reluctant to take a drill to the front of the car unless forced to do so.

What is the penalty if you get caught?

slogans7 06-21-2005 10:31 AM

In California, you're typically only cited when pulled over for another offense. Then you're given a ticket that demands that you take care of the problem and prove it to the court. I had a Miata for 10 years and never put a plate on the front. If I ever get a ticket for not having a plate on the front of my 986, I'll plead sanity. :D

eslai 06-21-2005 10:41 AM

My problem with past cars is that the cops used my lack of a front license plate as an excuse to pull me over and cite me for other issues. Really irritating.

But I'm keeping it off the boxster for now. I really don't want to drill bumper holes, and if you get a fix-it ticket, all you have to do is go down to the station with the plate on and get the ticket written off once you show proof of correction. I'll find some way to mount the plate without using the bolt holes, some strong double-sided tape maybe--they WILL try to tug it off to prove it's actually affixed.

dennizxxx 06-21-2005 11:36 AM

I'm in Boston as well....

Removed the front license plate the day after I got my car from the dealer...this was about 2 years ago....have not been pulled over for it....

Just to be safe though I always keep it in my trunk, in the rarity that i do get pulled over,,I can give some excuse like...one of the screws fell out or something....

I ABSOLUTELY HATE THE LOOK WITH THE FRONT LICENSE PLATE....

Brucelee 06-21-2005 12:15 PM

Actually, the locals will give you a tix for this if you are parked. Hey, revenue is revenue, no?

"Welcome to the Hotel California ....................."

:matchup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by slogans7
In California, you're typically only cited when pulled over for another offense. Then you're given a ticket that demands that you take care of the problem and prove it to the court. I had a Miata for 10 years and never put a plate on the front. If I ever get a ticket for not having a plate on the front of my 986, I'll plead sanity. :D

Tool Pants 06-21-2005 03:19 PM

In California the meter maids love it if you have no plate and an expired parking meter.

It use to be a no cost fix it ticket. You put the plate on and had a police office sign the back proof of correction and mailed the ticket in to traffic court. In my younger days I would go to the counter at the police department and they did not have time to go out in the parking lot and look at my car, so the guy at the counter would ask me if I fixed the equipment violations.

Then my county figured this was a good way to get money.

Now in my county there is a $10 charge when you sent in the proof of correction. If you do not get the ticket signed off then you mail in $77. So it is not mandatory that you put the plate on if you want to send in $77.

After my ticket in the Boxster and being the cheap Boxstir owner I am I put the plate on for as long as it took the back of the ticket to be signed off.

rboutin 06-22-2005 02:10 PM

In MA the front plate is required to be mounted in order to pass the annual inspection. With the front plate on my passenger seat the inspector turned me away....after telling me he loved my car....

Not sure what the fine is for not having it on, probably not much but I'm sure it would happen at the worst possible time.

donv 06-22-2005 07:32 PM

If an expired inspection sticker means insurance points in MA (yes, I found out it does), I expect a missing plate could have the same unpleasant outcome... which would cost way more over the 3+ years life of the points than a simple ticket. I paid extra to have what I wanted on the plates, so I get my money's worth by mounting both of them :rolleyes: and therefore avoid the whole ticket/points issue, for at least this one item :D .

kajita 06-23-2005 10:53 AM

i live in LA, CA area and took my Cayenne to LAX airport.
brand new car so of course no plates. got pulled over and they still check EVERYTHING and let me go. i told this story to my brother and he got a ticket for no front plates (while driving) at LAX 2 days before.

tqtran 06-23-2005 11:09 AM

I have seen a fix, sort of, for this once on another pcar.
A guy made an "L" bracket that screws/connects to the front tow hook and back of the license plate brace. That way he can put the plate on and take it off whenever he wants without having to drill holes.
The guy told me he drives with it off most of the time but when he has to "show proof" that its perminetly on, they puts the brace on, front plate securely attached and takes it to the MAN to check.

Adam 06-23-2005 08:55 PM

Most cops are pretty ignorant about cars, at least around here. I don't have any trouble with not having a front plate but if I do get pulled over I will probably just tell them this is one of those wacky foreign cars and there is no place for a front plate. Bumper plugs will make your case more convincing.