Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #1

What is normal operating temperature? My 00 S runs at 215

Is this normal? I'm reading posts where people have their temp gauge at 180. My normal operating temp is about 215 (halfway between 180 and the next tick). Sometimes, it gets really close to the next tick, especially in traffic.

ASpec818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #2

Garage
That temp seems to be higher than normal. My temp also sits just above the 180 mark. With yours in the 215 range I would be doing a system check out. Check to see if the coolant temp is true, the fans (both) are coming on when they're suppose to, the water pump is flowing coolant (impellor blade integrity?, if the blades are coming apart...are there pieces plugging water galleries?), thermostat operating properly?

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:36 AM   #3
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
The temperature will naturally go up whenever you're in traffic or not crusing at higher speeds, and when you really get on the car and run it hard, but I don't think I've ever seen my temp needle get dangerously close to that tick mark beyond the 180. Now that could of course mean that my gauges or off, or yours could be off, but there's nothing wrong with getting it checked out just to be sure.

As someone mentioned above, check that the fans for both radiators up front are turning on (they should both kick on when you use your AC, if one doesn't then that's a good indicator), but that's a good place to start. They blow hard and plenty of heat comes off of them if you place your hand under the bumper where they exhaust, so there won't be any mistaking whether or not they're on, you'll hear and feel it.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #4

You are running too hot. If there are no other obvious cooling system issues you might want to change your thermostat
Old 06-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
You are running too hot. If there are no other obvious cooling system issues you might want to change your thermostat
If it turns out to be the culprit, that makes for a good excuse to put in a low temp (160) thermostat.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 06-22-2011, 07:09 AM   #6

If you hooked up one of those real time DME readers you will be supprised. The actual temp will go to around 235ish, if your fans are on high up front, then you are close, I think they turn on at 210.

Quick cheap thing you can do that works is Redline Water Wetter. 10$ at autoparts store. Worked great for me.
Also if not already done, remove bumper and clean the rads up front, lossen the front ones, and clean inbetween.

You can get a Radiator comb from autoparts store, 5$, it will fix all of the messed up fins that you have.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #7

How do you guys know exact temperature?

I have 3 marks on my gauge 100, 180 and 250
Usually temp sits at the end of 8 beginning of 0 in 180. In traffic it gets to the end of 0, that's when the fans start and it goes back to the beginning of 0.

If I have AC on and driving in traffic it's always sits at the end of 0

Is it high? what temperature is the mark after 180?

Thanks
Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055

Usually temp sits at the end of 8 beginning of 0 in 180. In traffic it gets to the end of 0, that's when the fans start and it goes back to the beginning of 0.

Thanks
Sasha

Mine runs at exactly the same temps you have. The temp mark after 180 is 215. The temp guages are notoriously innacurate.

If you have a 2000 or older, you can read realtime coolant temp on the climate control display. Press the recirc and arrow up button simultaneously for 5 seconds, the screen that shows the set temp will now show a number followed by the letter c. Use the +/- buttons to scroll to 6c, press the center vent button and it will display coolant temp in centigrade. Download a F/C conversion chart from the interwebs annd you will see how much hotter the coolant is really running from the temperature indicated by the temp guage.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #9

Do you have to have OBC enabled for that? or it works on cars that don't have OBC enabled?

I have a 2000 base and I didn't do OBC mod yet.

Thanks
Sasha
Old 06-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #10

Quote:

Thanks
Sasha

I bought this: http://www.scangauge.com/
It will show real time read outs of all sorts of things.
It was informative because it showed that my "cold air" intake was hotter than stock, and that the engine temp was really high.
Also it help me prove to myself that the low temp thermostat and redline water wetter worked in lowering my water temp by 20 degrees.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Do you have to have OBC enabled for that? or it works on cars that don't have OBC enabled?

I have a 2000 base and I didn't do OBC mod yet.

Thanks
Sasha
No, this is something that you should be able to do with any 2000 or older car, I believe. So if the original poster has a pre-01 car, they should be able to do this, as would anyone else with a car from 97-00.

The OBC is an entirely separate matter, and that would read out on the dash gauges. This is a way for you to see the vitals of the car via the air conditioner's screen.

http://www.cb-racing.com/boxster_AC.html

Have a look here, it's what San Rensho was referring to.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 06-23-2011, 04:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
No, this is something that you should be able to do with any 2000 or older car, I believe. So if the original poster has a pre-01 car, they should be able to do this, as would anyone else with a car from 97-00.

The OBC is an entirely separate matter, and that would read out on the dash gauges. This is a way for you to see the vitals of the car via the air conditioner's screen.

http://www.cb-racing.com/boxster_AC.html

Have a look here, it's what San Rensho was referring to.

I couldn't get to the url. Can anyone else?
Old 06-23-2011, 05:10 AM   #13
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
just tried it again myself, worked fine with me copying and pasting the link from my post.
make sure you leave out those "[url]" brackets.

otherwise just go to the main page at www.cb-racing.com and navigate to the page about "Hidden AC unit info".

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 06-23-2011, 06:28 AM   #14

This symptom couldn't be the early signs of impending water pump failure could it?

I run my '04 like it's stolen, in 105 degree temps with the air on and never get past
180. I have even curled up the plastic license plate frame above the exhaust pipe!
Beelzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy

I bought this: http://www.scangauge.com/
It will show real time read outs of all sorts of things.
It was informative because it showed that my "cold air" intake was hotter than stock, and that the engine temp was really high.
Also it help me prove to myself that the low temp thermostat and redline water wetter worked in lowering my water temp by 20 degrees.

Hey
Does scangauge also read out oil temp?

Thanks
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
Hey
Does scangauge also read out oil temp?

Thanks
No it does not. At least not directly. From my understanding the water temp is close to oil temp because of the design of the coolent system. I don't even know if the computer has a oil temp sensor.

The scan gauge is neat because it also does MPH, gallons of gas in tank, miles to empty, voltage, and many other values that I have no idea the significance of.

Fun toy.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
No it does not. At least not directly. From my understanding the water temp is close to oil temp because of the design of the coolent system. I don't even know if the computer has a oil temp sensor.

The scan gauge is neat because it also does MPH, gallons of gas in tank, miles to empty, voltage, and many other values that I have no idea the significance of.

Fun toy.

Does the scan guage read out realtime camshaft timing? Big variations in camshaft timing relative to each other are an early warning of a pending IMS failure, from what I've read.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #18

I did the read out on both of my Boxs. The gauge in the 98 Base is just 1 degree off and the 00 S is 2 degrees off of the realtime reading. I'm OK with that.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:37 AM   #19

Thanks for the link!

I did the test yesterday and my gauge seems very accurate.
When cruising at highway speeds (2200-2500RPM) Temp is around 90C
When entering traffic (3k-3500RPM) I usually keep it in higher RPM in city driving, temp rises to 95C
When sitting in stop and go temp rises to 102C, fans come on, temp drops to 96-98C, fans turn off, temp rises again.. and so on
Highest I saw was 105C with AC on, sitting in traffic

Does that sound high?

I also did the test for waterpump/fans in my driveway, I let the car sit with engine running. Same results, fans come on at 102C and temp lowers to 97C and fans turn off and so on

Thanks
Sasha
Old 06-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #20

The Boxster has a reputation for bad water pumps. Sometimes the impeller blades break up and of course water flow is reduced if some of the blades are missing. I've seen recommendations that Boxster owners should think about replacing their water pumps every two years. Personally i suspect that could be your problem. Even if the fans are functioning correctly, if the water isn't flowing you're going to overheat. I think you need to rule out the water pump before going crazy on fan issues, etc.

The fans have two speeds. They are very loud and forceful in high speed. You might need weather up toward 90 with the AC on before the fans will shift to the higher speed.

On my 2000 S the temp needle never gets past the "0" in 180 no matter what the conditions (slightly beyond straight up). I was idling for about 5 minutes yesterday in 99 deg temps while parked and that's all the higher it went with the AC going full blast the whole time. It sounded like a hovercraft between the radiator fans and the engine compartment fan.

Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote