986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Glaze on Calipers peeled off (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/29355-glaze-calipers-peeled-off.html)

psugrad93 06-18-2011 10:12 AM

Glaze on Calipers peeled off

Does anyone have any exeperience with the glaze on the red calipers peeling off? My car is not garaged and this is what has happened, so the finish and color are now dull.
What are the steps to refinish them?

Jaxonalden 06-18-2011 11:09 AM

Sounds like your calipers were "painted" after the fact. The heat generated from the brakes is the probable cause of the pealing. I believe OEM calipers are powder coated just for this fact.

jhandy 06-18-2011 12:18 PM

Actually that's not the case. The factory calipers have a clear coat that can be damaged. Mine started to peel a few years back and now they are totally flat red. Wheel and brake cleaners combined with high pressure washing is what caused my problem.
Live with it or repaint.

Jake D 06-18-2011 01:39 PM

I had the same issue and it really bugged me. It reminded me of my first car, a red Toyota Celica that the paint faded and was almost redish pink.

Anyway its not perfect, but I took brake cleaner and cleaned my calipers really well making sure to chip off most of the peeling clear. Once they were clean and dry, I taped off the rotor and then resprayed the caliper with clear coat enamel in a can that I bought at like lowes for another project. It set up good and has not come off yet, and the calipers are shiny again. Will it last forever? Probably not, but I'm happy with it for now

t2-bxtrs 06-19-2011 07:25 AM

Brake Caliper fading

Have you tried using Cleaner Wax/Polish yet? could be worth the try with a minimum expense... let us know?
good luck.

Cloudsurfer 06-19-2011 09:48 PM

Cheap fix? Re-paint with any of the caliper paint products available.

Right fix? Break down calipers, have them powder coated or high temperature painted, re-assemble with new seals and dust boots and never worry about it again and enjoy better than new looks.

violametallic-S- 06-19-2011 09:56 PM

Had the same issue, for sure its from rim cleaner spray.

I repainted them ,4 coats, new porsche sticker. looks great.

Now i wash my rims with soap and water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloudsurfer
Cheap fix? Re-paint with any of the caliper paint products available.

Right fix? Break down calipers, have them powder coated or high temperature painted, re-assemble with new seals and dust boots and never worry about it again and enjoy better than new looks.

Idaho Red Rocket 3 06-19-2011 09:56 PM

I had the exact same experience JakeD had. It works...cheap...easy.

Cloudsurfer 06-21-2011 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3
I had the exact same experience JakeD had. It works...cheap...easy.

As long as you keep the car off the track, and the calipers don't need help in terms of seals, this isn't the worst route to take.

psugrad93 06-21-2011 07:47 AM

Thanks guys!

I think I might try the clear coat enamel in a can route. The issue with painting, re-labeling, etc. is obvious as far as cost, time, etc.

Do you happen to know what brand of clear coat enamel you used?

Pat 06-21-2011 08:26 AM

FWIW, I used G2 Caliper Paint on my old car. I took a long time to do it, following ever step very closely. The quality of the work was solid. After a few days on the track the calipers looked like crap again. If you plan on getting your brakes hot, powdercoat is the only option if you want to retain decent looks.

The Radium King 06-21-2011 08:26 AM

also, the bleeder valves on the calipers have a real low torque spec and can weep fluid if used hard and not recently torqued (or over-torqued) - brake fluid will kill paint and clear coat.

WhipE350 06-21-2011 10:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
+1 on the break fluid

psugrad93, see my previous posts, I found a great method for making them beautiful. Use VHT (not Duplicolor, does not match the red as well). Sand lightly and get the old clear layer off, spray with VHT (many fine coats), let dry, apply new sticker (I prefer this over stencil) then use a 'clear' engine paint, it makes them look fantastic! If you need to know where to get Porsche sticker I can dig out info, I posted it for everyone a while back.