Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 03:41 AM   #1

Convertible Top Cable DIY?

Hola -

I can't find the DIY on how to replace the cable that drives the convertible top.

Background: I recently bought a 2002 Boxster S. The owner has been operating the top manually because of the broken cable. So I have a new cable but can't figure out how to install it. The joints are disconnected from the plate that has the ball half of the joint on it, and the links that go towards the front of the car (with the red plastic sockets) are on my bench. (One of the red plastic sockets is broken, I have to get another one of those I guess).

I tinkered briefly today with it but can't figure where the cable is going after it disappears behind the foam liner. From some of what I have read, I may not even need to replace it if I can just cut the sheathing back and expose more cable, there is none left currently just a small tangle of wire strands flush with then end of the ferrule. I definitely need to do something about the broken link socket though.

TIA

peterbrown77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:19 AM   #2

I'd suggest purchasing Wayne Dempsey's "101 Projects for Boxsters" book from Pelican Parts...project 71 explains the top mechanism components and how to repair them.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote