Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2005, 11:39 AM   #1

Talking Rear storage trey! I love a good deal!

Hey guys i currently have the vinyl storage compartment. I have planned on getting the hard plastic storage trey and upgrade w/ the speaker kit. The treys have been few to find on ebay. But i saw one today for $99 start bid, so i called the german car dismantler and convinced them to sell it to me for $125 +$17shipping. To my suprise the trey also has the speakers installed. However it is missing one of the speaker grilles. I assume i'll have to retrofit the cables and wiring for this install. Any tips or info for wiring placement will be helpful. I am very pleased to get such a good deal. I assumed i would be paying well over $400 for this entire set-up. Only downside is my equipment will be used.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:21 PM   #2

Amazing! I paid $200 for my storage box and another $175 for used speakers. You are an excellent negotiator!

There are numerous web links on "how to install rear speakers in a boxster" on the web. You need to examine these carefully, but if I were you, I would not dismantle the passenger's side kick plate to do it. I ran my wires behind the passenger's seat under the carpet and tucked them under the center console to the head unit. Took five minutes and didn't require much unscrewing of any carpeted pieces.

You'll need to buy the brown (I think it's brown) plug from the dealership and wire it up so you can plug it into your CDR210 or CDR220... I assume you have one of these head units. If you have an aftermarket system, then you don't need a plug... just wire it up per the head unit's instructions.

Man, I am so happy for you to get all this for so little cash.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:46 PM   #3

I also have the vinyl storage compartment so I have been watching that for 2 days after it was first listed. It came off a 2001 wreck. Let me know if your deal does not go through.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:57 PM   #4

storage trey

I believe they had another storage unit but it was the same vinyl. If i were you i would call them and give them your number, for a call back when they get another one. The lady on the phone told me she gets them from time to time. She told me the last one she had sold for $140, but she discounted it for me since it was missing a grill cover. I really got a bargian in that the speakers are in there also. I assume i will spend a bit more money to wire in and get a clean connection but it'll be worth it. If you need there 800# send me an email i would be happy to get it to u.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:14 PM   #5

But just the driver's side rear speaker grill alone costs $398.03.

I am actually glad that you got it so that we did not bid against each other if it had come down to a bidding war at the last second.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7981198070&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I have a Boxster red interior but for that price black would have been good enough.

Good luck.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 06-17-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:51 PM   #6

Jeff, I bought a red one and tried to dye the carpet black... kinda worked, but you can still see it's red when the top's up. Had I known you needed a red one, I think I would have sold it to you for what I paid for it just for all you've taught me and the help you've been.

Kinda easy to say this when I've already dyed mine, huh?
Old 06-19-2005, 04:59 PM   #7

Last summer I paid $356.00 USD from my local Porsche dealer for the entire factory rear Bose speaker setup. This included the Bose box and all four speakers new from the factory. I will say I had to wait about 4 weeks due to a backorder, but overall was very pleased. When I called to get a quote I called back a couple days later to check with another employee to make sure I was quoted the right price since I was always seeing these units on ebay for well over 500.00 USD.
porscheguy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:31 PM   #8

So, Randell, my 1997 Silver/Boxster Red has a hard plastic storage box that I can put rear speakers into.

From ebay a day or so ago.

The seller also threw in an old blue Toyota truck for the pictures.

I think I might dye the Boxster Red carpet black.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:20 AM   #9

My red carpet didn't dye black very well and looks like crap. I think I have to now have the carpet removed and have a trim shop put on good black carpet to match. You have a very good memory, Jeff!

It's low on my list of things to do though because the carpet color isn't seen much with the top down!

So glad you finally found your red carpeted rear storage box. What did you pay for it?
Old 06-02-2006, 07:47 AM   #10

$82 plus $40 for shipping. The plastic trim where the top latch goes is broken, but this was disclosed on ebay. Before I bought it I called my parts guy and I can replace that part for $3. Otherwise it is perfect.

Hard to find a Boxster red storage box.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:53 AM   #11

You got a killer deal. I paid twice that.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:30 PM   #12

If anyone is interested, my seller also has a black storage box.

After 7 years it is strange to see this in my car.