Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #1

Tan / camel / brown coloured soft top...

May be replacing the soft top on my Box and noticed the option of a tan or camel coloured soft top / hood / roof. Was wondering if anyone had images of a Box with such a coloured top. Ideally the Box in question would be guards! Probably a crazy idea and almost certainly a colour that will age more rapidly than plain black. But when it comes to cars, logic goes out of the window, right?

Old 06-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #2

Maybe this helps.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:25 AM   #3

Classic color combination...as long as you keep it protected with RaggTop fabric protectant, I see no reason it would age any different from a dark color...may even be better. That would look quite good on black or dark blue, as well.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:01 AM   #4

Classic colour combo was my thinking too, but would be nice to see an image before pulling the trigger. One of the tircky choices would be between a lighter sand / beige colour and darker camel / tan. Both appear to be available. Think the slightly darker tan is probably the one to go for.

Thanks for the MX_5 pic - was indeed a red and tan MX-5 that got me thinking. Think Porsche only offered black, grey and blue tops, IIRC.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #5

I had a Corvette with that color top a long time ago and it developed dark streaks where the natural creases formed in the top when folded. In a more recent model year Corvette put that color top on restriction (temporarily unavailable) because of a similar issue. Black tops wouldn't show the crease lines but tan did. They had to work with the top supplier to change the fitment and reduce the crease formation before they offered that color again.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:55 AM   #6

I would imagine keeping a good coat of RaggTopp on the canvas would help to eliminate those crease marks...natural place for dirt to get into. I've seen some very nice 356 cabs with lighter tops that have aged quite well with care.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #7

Tan is great color when new and clean but it doesn't age well particularly if it will see a lot of weather. I had another car with a tan top and black body color. It was a very sharp combination but after three years or so the tan tops started to show their age, even with constant weatherproofing and cleaning. My Boxster came with a light gray top that had similar issues. When the window cracked I switched to black and I am much happier with it's ability to withstand wear and weather and still look good.
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #8

This is indeed my fear. The car will be garaged when not in use. But it would be a shame to buy a new top and find it looks tired after a couple of years where a new black one today would be really sharp still. Hell, my 13 year old black hood doesn't look too bad!