Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 12:59 PM   #1

How do you tighten the nut on one of linkages for the convertable top?

When i was messing around under the top with the roof in access position, I found a small hex nut. about 12mm. Wondering where it came from I went exploring. As it turns it, it fell off one of the linkage arms that connects the convertable top to the body. The linkage joins the top with a white plastic ball joint head, and is in a terribly hard place to access right about where the roll bar meets the body.

I cannot get the nut back on the ball joint head, not because it doesnt fit, but because access is so horribly restricted in the area. I tried all roof opening positions, some are better than others, but the closest I can get to turning the nut is by sticking a long screw driver down and touching tangent to the nut, and tapping with a hammer. This of course does not work well, and it comes off again.

Mike

Last edited by mikstew; 05-31-2011 at 01:44 PM.
mikstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #2

Garage
Is this the nut used on the threads of the Ball stud? If so, I put the nut into a box end wrench after closing it up with a bit of electrical tape. Had to open the top more than in the service position. In fact it was maybe 18 inches from being full open. After I got the nut started, I switched to an open end wrench to hold the nut while turning the ball screw. I sourced out some very nice stainless steel Ball joint assemblies to replace the broken red plastic on my 1997. I think I know what you are dealing with, and would like to help.

Last edited by cheese; 05-31-2011 at 01:22 PM.
cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:38 PM   #3

Ah so you attacked the problem from the otherside - I was trying to turn the NUT, but obviously the way to do it is to turn the ball! smart man, thank you
Old 05-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

Wondering if it's possible to get a picture. I found a nut in the drain hole under the top a couple of months ago and cannot seem to find where it came from. It's driving me nuts.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Wondering if it's possible to get a picture. I found a nut in the drain hole under the top a couple of months ago and cannot seem to find where it came from. It's driving me nuts.

haha almost certainly it is the same one. ill see if i can get you a pic, so that your nuts dont drive you nuts anymore.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikstew
haha almost certainly it is the same one. ill see if i can get you a pic, so that your nuts dont drive you nuts anymore.
Have you had a chance to get that picture?

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote