Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #1

How to reset onboard computer message "service in 7 days"

Does anyone know how to reset the onboard computer message "service in 7days". It keeps counting down by the day. Talked to the Porsche dealer in Toronto and they said the dealer has to do it while the vehicle is on the hoist and 'you can't do it yourself'. I know it must be possible!!!!
Thanks for any input!

boxsternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #2

It can currently only be re-set by using either a PIWIS unit or the Durametric system, nothing else works............
Old 06-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply JFP. I guess that means "only at the dealership?" Will this service reminder keep going until I get them to reset it?
Old 06-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #4

Or an "indy" with the proper hardware/software............and yes, it will continue to annoy you, that is why they did it this way..............
Old 06-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #5

Thanks for the speedy replies JFP. One last question if I can. Does this 'service reminder' act on time and mileage or by monitoring engine conditions/performance? I did the last oil/filter change about 1000k's ago, so I know it can't be that.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #6

I think it is by miles.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #7

Boxsternut, why not buy the Durametric software and you can do it yourself. That's what I did.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #8

What is the Durametric Software about? Where do you purchase it? How do you use it? Thanks again to JFP.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #9

Next best thing to Porsche's zillion dollar PIWIS:

Durametric
Old 06-16-2011, 06:25 AM   #10

At less than $400, the consumer version is totally worth it. Avoid a few idiot light resets at the stealer and you've paid for one. But it can do so, so, so much more.

Last edited by gschotland; 06-16-2011 at 06:27 AM.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschotland
At less than $400, the consumer version is totally worth it. Avoid a few idiot light resets at the stealer and you've paid for one. But it can do so, so, so much more.

Can you see dynamic cam timing with the Durametric?
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho
Can you see dynamic cam timing with the Durametric?
Yes............................
Old 06-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Yes............................

Another question now that I have your attention. Is variation in dynamic cam timing a warning sign that the IMS is going to go?
Old 06-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #14

Yes. Camshaft deviation values (timing or allocation in relation to ideal) at idle should be very steady, regardless of the reading values (see ther red and blue lines below). If they are swinging back and forth extensively at idle, or when the engine transitions from on to off throttle, it is the sign of something being very loose in the cam drive, most often the IMS bearing wobbling. Unfortunately, this phenomenon is rarely observed and then only purely by chance, resulting in very few engines getting caught as there are not other apparent signs of anything wrong. Usually, the first indication of a problem is also the last one, and a catastrophic failure results. To my knowledge, unfortunately no one knows how long, or how badly, this goes on before the unit fails.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 06-16-2011 at 02:42 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #15

JFP-so if I get the durametric and check the camshaft deviation regularly, I might be able to catch a failing ims?
Old 06-17-2011, 05:18 AM   #16

What you are trying to do is much akin to carrying a camera around with the hope of photographing a commercial airliner crashing. Yes, it is possible, but also highly unlikely……………..
Old 06-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsternut
Thanks for the speedy replies JFP. One last question if I can. Does this 'service reminder' act on time and mileage or by monitoring engine conditions/performance? I did the last oil/filter change about 1000k's ago, so I know it can't be that.
It may have been a coincidence, but my '07 Boxster's countdown ended on the day my warranty expired. I took it to an indy who reset it.

Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote