Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #1

While I'm in here...

I just ordered the IMS retrofit, a new rms, clutch kit, and now I've got some scraping from my drivers side rear wheel. Sounds like a bearing, could be the parking brake partially engaged? Thoughts?

Anyhow, aside from the possible bearing, what's a reasonable labor expense? I'm in Los Angeles and have been quoted $1200 by my usual Porsche mechanic. I'd think he could throw in the bearing job for free at that price.

Is there anything else we should tackle while we've got everything cracked down there? I just hit 100,000 miles. New alternator, starter, serpentine, plugs, wires, o2 and MAF already installed.

Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #2

Garage
What about the flywheel?

$1200 for labor only? Doesn't seem too bad, it's a couple days work to do everything you're wanting done.

Wheel bearing replacement cost me around $450 (labor and material), you might have a hard time negotiating that work for no additional cost (if that's the problem).
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager
What about the flywheel?

$1200 for labor only? Doesn't seem too bad, it's a couple days work to do everything you're wanting done.

Wheel bearing replacement cost me around $450 (labor and material), you might have a hard time negotiating that work for no additional cost (if that's the problem).
Flywheel if it needs it. They're spendy.
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Old 06-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #4

Sooooooo I took the boxster to the mechanic to identify the screeching noise from out back. Naturally it was making the noise as I rolled in but stopped entirely as soon As we took it for a spin around the block. Oy. Could it be a bearing if it's intermittent?
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
Old 06-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #5

Garage
Wheel bearing/problem noise varies with speed and the noise never goes away... It's very annoying.

Jager is offline   Reply With Quote