Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 05:50 AM   #1

Replacement tinted vinyl update/review with pics

I finally got my top back the other day. It was gone for almost 2 months but it was all my fault and not the shops. Once I brought them the vinyl he had it finished up in a few days.
I'm sure swapping the top for a new one would take a lot longer making new holes and lining things up, but I still can't understand why I've read it took some people on here a whole day or two evenings. I removed the canvas in about 45 mins by myself and re-installed in about 1.5 hours mainly cause it had been 2 months and I was trying to remember where things went. I suggest taking pics. I used the 101 Boxster Projects as my guide. Overall, not that complicated as I thought it would be. I did not remove the whole frame, just the canvas

My review:
I ordered 2 yards of tinted vinyl with shipping cost $55 from here:
http://www.allvinylfabrics.com/Clear-Vinyl/Smoke-Clear-Vinyl/30-Gauge-Smoke-Clear-Vinyl/276.aspx

Overall, I like the tinted vinyl, but if I were to do it again, I would definitely have tried looking harder for 40 gauge vinyl instead of the 30 that I purchased. Mikes_box also used this stuff so I went with it. I don't know, it just seems too flexible for my liking. I was told by the vinyl place that it would be fine and the upholstery shop told me it should last several years but he also said he would have liked it to be thicker. FYI, OEM vinyl is 40 guage. My other complaint is that for some reason looking through the vinyl seems "blurry." Its not as clear as I was hoping for. I guess I will just get used to it.

Overall I really like the way it looks compared to the factory greenish looking stuff. I think it makes my car flow better with the tinted side windows.

Total cost to have a new window sewn in, vinyl, 2 plastic pieces I broke, and some weather stripping adhesive= $200. I was hoping to stay around $150, but I broke the two plastic pieces on the side of the top that I bought from the dealer at $15 each plus the new push pins which totaled $45. I guess when you factor in I spent around a 1/3 of the autotopdirect glass window and top this might not have been the best route to have gone. But my top was still in decent shape and I'm a broke ass loser.

Also had the bumperettes painted by a buddy while I waited for the top to come back.

Let me know what you think.
Jake

Old 06-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Nice job removing and re-installing the top. I wouldn't try it!

I noticed the bumperettes before reading your post. I compared the new pics to your avatar pic and confirmed the change. Your friend did a great job.

Now to the important stuff: That doesn't look like Ace in the first picture. Who is that?
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
Nice job removing and re-installing the top. I wouldn't try it!

I noticed the bumperettes before reading your post. I compared the new pics to your avatar pic and confirmed the change. Your friend did a great job.

Now to the important stuff: That doesn't look like Ace in the first picture. Who is that?
Damn way to be observant... That would be Daisy, my sisters Corgi.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:11 AM   #4

Looks great Jake! One day I'll do this too.

Did you tighten your roof while you were at it? If so, how? I would like to make it so the front latch gives me some more resistance when I close it. (it is a little floppy)
mikstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #5

Nope, didn't mess with any of the linkages while I was in there. Everything works fine so I decided not to tinker with it as I'm sure I'd end up causing more issues