986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   I did it... I did it! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/29157-i-did-i-did.html)

Jager 06-04-2011 04:41 PM

I did it... I did it!

1 Attachment(s)
I did it… I did it… I removed the snorkel!!

Now what?? :eek:

DFW02S 06-04-2011 05:17 PM

Porsche police at your house by morning.
Count on it.

Or, prepare for an aural symphony. (4,000 rpm's and left ear mostly.)

tonycarreon 06-04-2011 05:41 PM

now you're going to get a little worse gas mileage from punching the accelerator more often :)

carguy 06-04-2011 08:50 PM

Now, drive the car and report back your thoughts on sounds/butt dyno! :)

jmatta 06-05-2011 07:42 AM

Years ago I desnorkled my car and couldn't hear a difference. Opted for the Evo High-Flo intake and that made a considerable difference in sound, though I doubt it added any HP.

t2-bxtrs 06-05-2011 08:44 AM

Desnorkle

Jager,
Congrats.. you were able to take it off without breaking things ! What year is your Box? Any noticeable difference ? sound? HP gain or loss? please update us !
Enjoy.. Thanks

Jager 06-05-2011 04:45 PM

OK the car seems to have more pep, makes sense since the snorkel inlet is quite a bit smaller than the outlet (65mm inlet versus 94mm outlet). There has to be more volume of air flow into the motor especially at higher RPM’s. There is a little more audio (growl) starting at 4000 RPM’s right behind the driver’s seat that sounds cool, too bad it can’t be more centralized and projected outside (might have to work on that). Even my wife made a comment “the car seems lighter”; I just smiled and thought to myself “it is”.

Lil bastard 06-06-2011 06:23 AM

Desnorkeling has been debated for years.

It is a noise abatement piece, nothing more.

Despite all the academic arguements re. inlet restiction, removing it doesn't add any power whatever, just doesn't mask the sound of the intake.

Cheers!

Jager 06-06-2011 07:20 PM

Well... I decided to get-on-it coming home from work today and I grabbed 2nd gear then WHAM... BAM... BAM.. THUNK... THUNK... THUD... THUD... THUD. Now I'm replacing the axel on the driver's side. I might as well replace both sides. Busted bolts and end cap were caught by the pan (now I know why Porsche put a pan under the transmission). I'm having a hard time believing my motor had that much more power, I think the axel bolts must have become loose? Has anyone put a Boxster on a dyno before and after removing the snorkel?

Pinarelloman 06-07-2011 12:07 AM

I am surprised you did not hear the axle clunking prior to falling out.