986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Looking to buy the new PIWIS Tester II (2) (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/29137-looking-buy-new-piwis-tester-ii-2-a.html)

madmods 06-03-2011 06:03 AM

Looking to buy the new PIWIS Tester II (2)

JFP in PA 06-03-2011 06:26 AM

Good luck with this as Porsche North America only leases the system, first year in the $15,000 range, non dealer version is different and missing some capabilities, and as it is a "networked" system, they can cut off any node at any time if they suspect it is bootlegged or there is some other issue............

madmods 06-03-2011 07:48 AM

JFP in PA 06-03-2011 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmods
oh man... didn't know this part. I was half aware that there are 'dealer' policies on the tester but had no clue this was networked. I bet this is why my tech guy emphases on the account/password.

If I get this right.
- Dealers rents, but don't sell (hoping they have yearly plans)
- Private can buy, but without all of the features.

I'd (he) still be interested to know what those are and how limited is the online membership.

This restriction is sad news to privateer porsche experts :/

Can anyone (porsche) help with those problems, dealer only you'll say?

No one “buys” a PIWIS; they are only available on lease terms. The leasing agreement states that the “third party” (read non dealer) version “does not have full functionality” that the dealer version does, but does not explain the differences.

The entire process is designed to be as egregious as possible for independents; federal laws here prevent Porsche from refusing to make the system available, but does not limit how ugly they can make the process…………. They are not the only OEM that conduct themselves in this manner………..

madmods 06-03-2011 08:15 AM

JFP in PA 06-03-2011 08:28 AM

Several of the so-called knocks off PIWIS units turn out to be pirated copies of older versions Durametric system, but as I do not have personal knowledge of everything that is out there, there may be other things around as well.

We use the Durametric Pro system, which is currently not as capable as a true PIWIS, it is both legal, and a pretty good system in its own right, making it a valuable tool for a commercial shop.

madmods 06-03-2011 08:43 AM

Cloudsurfer 06-03-2011 09:02 AM

Unless you need to do coding, Durametric is great. As far as I'm concerned, you're never going to get a fully functioning PIWIS, no matter the cost. Like Porsche, many other OEMs are doing whatever they can to make life difficult for independents.

madmods 06-03-2011 09:13 AM

lukasdiag 05-24-2012 03:42 AM

if you need I can send pictures of the equipment. We have bought there one unit.
all as it is written on their website and license also supported by these guys

thstone 05-24-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmods (Post 248554)
Hang on, are you saying that Durametric can't upload values to ECU, or coding it? e.g. if he needs to add a set of keys that won't be possible?

Durametric Pro will not do coding even though their website implies that it will.

I contacted them directly about upgrading to the Pro to be able to turn off my air bag light (as a result of adding a racing seat on the passenger side) and Durametric said that I was out of luck even with their Pro system and that I'd need to find someone or a dealer with a PWIS.

DFW02S 05-24-2012 10:31 AM

My Indy just bought the Autoenginuity.com scanner with the Porsche module to replace his durametric.
Cost was roughly $500 delivered.

jotoole 05-24-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 291472)
Durametric Pro will not do coding even though their website implies that it will.

I contacted them directly about upgrading to the Pro to be able to turn off my air bag light (as a result of adding a racing seat on the passenger side) and Durametric said that I was out of luck even with their Pro system and that I'd need to find someone or a dealer with a PWIS.

I used my Durametric "Enthusiast" (cheapest version) to turn off my air bag light after I replaced my door lock on passenger side. Removed and reinstalled air bag, which triggered light to remain lit. No problem.

lukasdiag 05-25-2012 08:02 AM

Hi
write on me
I'll give you web adress of the selling company for piwis 2

thstone 05-25-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotoole (Post 291494)
I used my Durametric "Enthusiast" (cheapest version) to turn off my air bag light after I replaced my door lock on passenger side. Removed and reinstalled air bag, which triggered light to remain lit. No problem.

I think that this is a case of apples and oranges. The Durametric will handle some airbag light issues but not all.

Like you, I assumed that my Durametric Enthusiast would work but I used it to turn off the air bag light for the missing passenger seat but as soon as I re-start the car the air bag light comes back on.

So I contacted Durametric directly about this and their tech support wrote back saying that none of the Durametric versions will perform the coding required to turn off the airbag light for a replacement passenger seat.

Also if you search this and other forums this is a common problem for owners who replace both stock seats with racing seats and no one has a DIY fix specifically for this airbag problem (at least not that I have been able to find).

There is no doubt that the Durametric works for many other airbag light issues and thus, it seems to be an apples and oranges thing.

If anyone knows more, please let me know!

jotoole 05-25-2012 01:29 PM

That occurred to me after I posted. Two completely different issues. You're right. But I figured I'd leave my post in case someone else has the simple air bag issue I had. I do appreciate the follow-up.

liquem 01-09-2013 10:10 AM

Piwis ii

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukasdiag (Post 291557)
Hi
write on me
I'll give you web adress of the selling company for piwis 2

Lukas,

Can you give me the info whee to buy the PIWIS II? I t is to be used by a shop in South America

Topless 01-09-2013 07:50 PM

thstone,
Once you have the airbag sensor harness properly connected to the stock seatbelt connector you can reset the airbag with durametric and the lamp will stay out. The problem is the harness can be inserted several ways and only the original connection alignment will work. I marked mine clearly with a felt marker so I could disconnect and reconnect without getting stuck in airbag purgatory. We often take out our pass seats for timed runs these days. No airbag light. :cool:

OBDCARTOOL 05-27-2013 11:03 PM

Where to buy the New PIWIS Tester II for Porsche cars

Hi,madmods
Good day for you .:)
Anyway ,I noticed that you want to buy PIWIS Tester II , Please just write on me, i will send you Link of that website where can buy the new PIWIS Tester II.

*Standard Packages : Equiped with Pansonic CF30 Laptop .
*With account/password and regular upgrades, etc
*Very Competitive Price

Write on me for more information ..

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1369724491.jpg

Dave1987 11-07-2014 05:50 PM

What is the latest version of piwis?

What's the latest version of piwis software? Is piwis tester 2 the same as Porsche VCX-PLUS?