Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #1

Bubbling dash leather

My dash top leather is pulling away from the front and has a bubble extending 80% of it's width. It appears that the leather was cut short when it was factory installed allowing minor shrinkage to pull it loose. Each year it is worse but is not easily seen unless you are looking for it. At the end of this summer season I'd like to disassemble it and have it reupholstered.

Is there any guide available for the removal? Any good experiences with someone to replace the leather? I'll likely have to have the airbag cover done as well for match reasons, but the cluster may be OK if the match is reasonably good.

Bob

Old 06-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #2

If you are a member of PCA, I would suggest you contact John Paterek via the PCA National Website...he is an invaluable source of information and can guide you through the restoration process.

You may even be able to search the tech guides for info...well worth the $42 a year for membership and a 10% discount at P-Car dealers.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
If you are a member of PCA, I would suggest you contact John Paterek via the PCA National Website...he is an invaluable source of information and can guide you through the restoration process.

You may even be able to search the tech guides for info...well worth the $42 a year for membership and a 10% discount at P-Car dealers.
I am a member, but how do I find an individual using the site?? Thanks for the suggestion.
Bob
Old 06-03-2011, 05:36 AM   #4

Log-In to the National website and go to the "Contact Us"tab...scroll down to Technical Committee, click on the "Tech Q&A" tab and go from there. You may also try to contact the concours chairs for your region...these folks usually have a wealth of knowledge. Chicago Region has some of the best concours gurus in the country and I've learned a lot from their tech sessions; these folks are always happy to share their fixes.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #5

Same problem

I am going through the same thing right now. Left the top down in the rain, long story short, every piece of leather shrunk and hardened. The upholsterer I am using is charging 300 Euro (about $400) and I have to remove and install the dash.

I'll let you know how it goes.

2001 S Speed Yellow, matching interior, German Plates!!
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflylow
I am going through the same thing right now. Left the top down in the rain, long story short, every piece of leather shrunk and hardened. The upholsterer I am using is charging 300 Euro (about $400) and I have to remove and install the dash.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks.... Let me know if you find some step-by-step instruction for dash removal.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:59 AM   #7

After watching the LA Dismantlers show on Discovery Channel, I would think that would be your last resort (dash removal). They had a Boxster completely stripped down and the dash was the last thing they removed

Last edited by jmatta; 06-04-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
Porscheectomy

Taking the dash off isn't hard. There are just alot of screws and connectors to keep track of and popping out the defrosting vents feels like you're going to break them, but they're stronger than they feel.

Last edited by blue2000s; 06-04-2011 at 06:56 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #9

Blue2000s ~~
Thanks for the photos. Why was yours being removed? And how does that airbag section release (without a frontal impact )

Bob
Old 06-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam
Blue2000s ~~
Thanks for the photos. Why was yours being removed? And how does that airbag section release (without a frontal impact )

Bob
I took the dash off to get to the structure behind that was creaking when I went up and down the angled curb in my driveway. I wrote up the process and posted it on the board a while ago.

DIY Dashboard Assembly Instructions

The passenger airbag is fastened with a couple of bolts from the bottom side of the dash. Make sure you disconnect the battery and let the car sit for a couple of hours before messing with the airbags.

Last edited by blue2000s; 06-05-2011 at 05:10 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote