Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 07:52 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Getting Interior Trim Painted

One other thing I could use a second opinion on....

I took my Boxster to a local auto body and paint shop to get an estimate on painting some of the interior trim. Shopping around for new pieces painted to match my exterior really starts to add up. I had the Seal Grey paint code and was ready to have em do it. This all started with the peeling door pocket lids. I wanted to get the door pocket lids, rear center console, front center console, air vents, door handles, interior mirror panels, etc. painted seal grey to match my exterior.

When I took it to the shop they said that they couldn't do it. They said that the pocket lids weren't strong enough plastic and had a texture to them that would cause problems. I said I could get everything unassembled, deliver it to them in pieces and they pretty much sent me on my way.

Do you think he's right or do you think that it just wasn't worth their time to paint a few interior pieces? Seems like it would be an easy job to me. A lot easier than painting a whole car. Or are they right and if I want interior trim to match my exterior paint do I just need to shell out the cash for new parts?

If anyone can recommend an auto body shop in Austin that would do this for me please do tell.

Thanks

02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:01 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
It doesn't sound like a very good shop, they shouldn't turn you away because you want to do something unique. Find a new shop.
You can buy some of those parts painted on eBay, so you may consider looking there, also if you have an air compressor, and a paint gun you could just spray the parts yourself. It is not like painting a whole car, so you could just do it in your garage.
Also, I am not sure on the armrests, you may have to remove the fabric from them first to be able to paint them. But they won't be very comfortable.
I look forward to seeing pictures when you are done!

Last edited by rick3000; 11-06-2007 at 08:03 AM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:07 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Nope, you can definitely paint the door bin covers. Here's a shot of mine. All you have to do is first completely remove the soft touch film from them. Run the covers through the dishwasher, and then you'll be able to rub the film off easily with your fingers.

To take the covers off your car, just flip the lid to the up position. You will then see 2 hinges. Poke the plastic pins out from the hinges with a hole punch and pull them out with needle nosed pliers. The rear hinge has a spring that you need to remove too. That's it.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Nope, you can definitely paint the door bin covers. Here's a shot of mine. All you have to do is first completely remove the soft touch film from them. Run the covers through the dishwasher, and then you'll be able to rub the film off easily with your fingers.

That's pretty sweet looking! I want THAT!!! But in Seal Grey. Did you paint them yourself or have them painted? I found an auto spray paint that matches pretty close to the Seal Grey that I used to paint my headrest windscreens. Turned out good with a few coats of clear coat. I was afraid to use it on the armrest lids because I thought the constant contact with my arm would eventually wear them down and look booty.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
Old 11-06-2007, 09:04 AM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
^ That looks great!

I am curious what is the sticker on you fuse panel, and what is the Porsche bag in front of the shifter?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Thanks.

@Rick3000: That's not a sticker on the fuse panel. It's a print indicating that it is the fuse panel, and came OEM on the car. The things in front of the shifter are my Porsche driving gloves. I don't normally use them when I drive, but occassionally do because my wife got them for me for as a present.

@TimAustinW: No, I did not paint them myself. Bought all the painted pieces from either Ebay or Bumperplugs.com. They have held up well for more than 2 yrs. now, and are very durable, as they are all clear coated. I'm sure any body shop can paint them for you though. Good luck!

Old 11-06-2007, 09:22 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i painted all my pieces silver as well. not hard at all, just take your time, and do light layers.
heres a picture of mine. i will eventually cover them all up with carbon fiber.

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
@TimAustinW: No, I did not paint them myself. Bought all the painted pieces from either Ebay or Bumperplugs.com. They have held up well for more than 2 yrs. now, and are very durable, as they are all clear coated. I'm sure any body shop can paint them for you though. Good luck!

I've never had anything painted at a body shop (well nothing that wasn't covered by insurance). I wonder which would be cheaper. Getting them painted or buying new.

From Bumper Plugs...

Boxster Side Vents (986) $279
Rear Center Console $379
Painted Non-Smoker Package $149
Front Center Console $279
Upper A/C, NAV trim $129
Lower A/C Trim $129
Lower Console Batwing $129
CD Storage Surround $139
Ignition Rosette 986/996 $149
Hazard Surround $149
Fuse Panel Painted $159
Body Color Dash Trim for $239

And I didn't see a painted door trim option for 986 or painted mirror triangles. A lot of that cost I'm sure is just the base price of the trim pieces themselves. It sure seems like it would be cheaper to have someone paint the trim you already have.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #9

[QUOTE=djomlas]i painted all my pieces silver as well. not hard at all, just take your time, and do light layers.
heres a picture of mine. i will eventually cover them all up with carbon fiber.

It looks great in the pictures! What type of paint did you use? Did you have to put a primer down first? What kind of prep work is involved aside from just disassembling the pieces? Have you had issues with it scratching or scuffing?

I say leave them silver. Looks good. I'm not a big fan of the Carbon Fiber. But that's just my opinion.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:07 AM   #10

Had some of my interior parts done through the dealer at delivery.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-1/613352/porsche-interior.jpg

Mark.
markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:07 AM   #11

I did my interior parts myself too. You can usually find individual pieces on e-bay also if you want to buy one part at a time.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 11-06-2007 at 10:11 AM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
what is the Porsche bag in front of the shifter?
Those are DJ's PORSCHE driving gloves. He uses them to smack the other drivers across the face when he challenges them to an auto-duel. LOL! Just kidding.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:16 AM   #13
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAustinW
I've never had anything painted at a body shop (well nothing that wasn't covered by insurance). I wonder which would be cheaper. Getting them painted or buying new.

From Bumper Plugs...

Boxster Side Vents (986) $279
Rear Center Console $379
Painted Non-Smoker Package $149
Front Center Console $279
Upper A/C, NAV trim $129
Lower A/C Trim $129
Lower Console Batwing $129
CD Storage Surround $139
Ignition Rosette 986/996 $149
Hazard Surround $149
Fuse Panel Painted $159
Body Color Dash Trim for $239

And I didn't see a painted door trim option for 986 or painted mirror triangles. A lot of that cost I'm sure is just the base price of the trim pieces themselves. It sure seems like it would be cheaper to have someone paint the trim you already have.
Cheapest route is to do it like djolmas, and just paint yourself. With me living in NYC, and having my car in a parking garage, that was not an option. Eric at bumperplugs does really high quality work (my painted center console and bumperettes look flawless), but they do come at a price. The other pieces in my car, I got mostly from Ebay, at very cheap prices. You mostly only see these on ebay painted in silver, however. Otherwise, send your parts to a bodyshop and have them spray it.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:23 AM   #14

This gives me confidence as my windscreens turned out pretty nice.

So that's three people who have done the painting themselves. Methods? Did you use an automotive spray paint like what you might buy at Pep Boys. Did you add a clear coat? Any problem with the pieces being tacky once they dry? Did your interior smell like spray paint?

I know, so many questions. Thanks Guys! I'm getting excited :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
I did my interior parts myself too. You can usually find individual pieces on e-bay also if you want to buy one part at a time.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:34 AM   #15

Tim,

Here's info on DJ's painting process :

those with painted interiors, or who have taken it apart

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:59 AM   #16

I also painted a bunch of interior trim myself.
I painted the door handle covers, the oval airbag buttons, the 2 side vents, the center console, the two pieces with the switches on either side of the radio and the batwing piece at the bottom of the center stack.
I ordered paint from expresspaint.com. Type in your paint code and pick how you want it- I chose spray cans. I bought clearcoat at the autoparts store.
Sand and prime before you color coat.
Except for the side vents, none of the parts are that expensive. So if you screw up just buy a new one.
I'm thinking of doing the wind screens.
Oh yeah, my car is Arena Red so I painted everything to match. Interior is a somewhat faded black.

Regards,
derb
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #17
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
How much was the paint?
How much did you get out of the spray can?
I would like to see some pictures, I have never seen anyone paint there batwing.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #18

Found my old post on HOW TO.

I just copied it and now I'm pasting it in here for you.

Okay, for starters, this isn't something you can rush. And if you have no experience using spray paint, don't even attempt this. Last thing I want is a load of hate mail sent to me because someone screwed up there door cover lids. Read the paint instructions like you normally would when using any spray paint from a can. So here it goes.

1) Remove your lid covers(of course) you will need some needle nose plyers. There are 2 sets of steel rods on both sides that you will need to remove. Make sure not to loose them and the metal sleeves that they slide into. There are 4 sets of sleeves per door lid. Put them aside for later.

2) You will want to clean the lid covers as best as you can from any type of armor-all or cleaner/polishes you may have used on it in the past. For me, the quickest and easy way to do this, is to place them in your dish washer. (I know it sounds crazy, but it works) use some Cascade Complete, not allot, about half of what is normally needed. This will de-grease and pull out any cleaner/polishes they were used in the past that may have soaked into the plastic. Make sure to use a high temp heat-dry cycle. Set it for your smallest load. When it's done, you will notice the rubber-like surface has started to peel off. Don't panic! That's what we want. You can start rubbing it off using your fingers. It should peel off like latex paint. After you have as much off as possible(preferably all of it) you can start sanding.

3) I used a medium grade sand paper to start. You will want to remove any access rubber-like paint that is still remaining. Keep sanding until it is all gone and then use a fine sand paper to make sure it is nice and smooth to the touch. Make sure to get all of the edges and smooth out the curved ones too.

4) Paint I used. (1) Can of Grey Primer - Color Place(Brand Name) or any automotive sandable primer will work. 1) Can of Artic Silver Paint - Dupli-Color(Brand Name) Truck, Van & SUV. Paint code T229 Silver (M). Looks exactly like PORSCHE artic silver when your done. 1) Can of Rust-Oleum(Brand Name) Crystal Clear Enamel Paint. All purchased at your local Walmart, except for Dupli-Color Silver Paint. I found it at Pep-Boys.

5) I found it best to lay the lid on a spray can cap at an angle because of the contour of the lid. This way you will avoid over spray on the curved surface. Spray 1 light coat of Grey primer down. I let mine dry for 1 hour before looking for any surface imperfections. If you see any, use your fine grade sand paper to smooth it out. Repeat this step until you no longer see any surface imperfections thought the gray primer paint. I used 2-3 light coats of primer per lid.

6) You are now ready for your first shot of silver paint. I used several light thin coats of paint, instead of 1 or 2 heavy coats(again, use common sense) allowed for 1 hour drying time between coats. I used 3 coats of paint and make sure you get those curved edges.

7) Last, after letting it dry for 24hrs. you can apply the final clear glossy coat. Again, used several thin coats instead of 1 or 2 heavy coats of paint. This will keep the paint from chipping/peeling off and it makes it look like that factory glossy finish. I used 3 thin coats. Let dry for another 24 hrs. before handling and installing.

8) Re-install the round metal sleeves into the holders of the lid and re-install them onto your door using one steel rod at a time. Then your done. Paint should cure in the next few days and should not be leaned on or used as an arm-rest. Hope this helps everyone!
Old 11-06-2007, 11:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
How much was the paint?
How much did you get out of the spray can?
I would like to see some pictures, I have never seen anyone paint there batwing.
This is awesome! I've been combing the web for L6B5 Seal Grey! Figured I'd have to special order it or settle for closest match by eyeballing it. Thanks for the link! :dance:

for an 11oz spray can it's 24.95 per can. $10.95 for the Clear Coat

Last edited by TimAustinW; 11-06-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:38 AM   #20

I did mine myself. These guys http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ will match your color exactly, from your color code on the door, mix your paint and ship it to you in spray cans. I ordered two cans of basecoat and four of clear. Honestly, I could probably do the whole job again with what I have left over (which I may have to do this winter because Mrs Grizzly scratched the ash tray with a bracelet ).

It's not hard to do at all. Remove the pieces you want to paint. Remove the soft touch junk as Boxtaboy describes. Scuff everything with a 400 grit paper. Clean it all really well to remove any wax, grease, dirt, dust, etc (this is the most important step so clean, clean, clean, and then don't touch it with your hands again). Lightly and methodically run a tack rag over everything before each coat to remove any dust. I like Sherwin Williams self etching epoxy primer. It comes in spray cans at auto body suppliers or a Sherwin Williams store. Hit everything with a couple light coats of primer. Let the primer dry and shoot a few light coats of basecoat, until you're satisfied with the color and coverage. After the base dries, spray four to five medium coats of clear and let everything dry really well. You're done! If you want to get real fancy, spray enough clear to allow yourself to wetsand the finished product with 2000 grit paper and buff with polish. This will eliminate any orange peel or dust nibs you've gotten in the finish.

EDIT: Geez Spyder, you must've posted that while I was typing my abbreviated version. I could've slept for another 20 minutes .

Here's mine, done at home...

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 11-06-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote