986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Brake problem (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/29083-brake-problem.html)

john.conley 05-30-2011 01:41 AM

Brake problem

Does anyone know why my steering shakes when I brake,I replaced the front discs a short while ago and it seemed to have stoped but now its started again!my rear discs are badly pitted so will replace these,could the rear discs be part of the problem?

insite 05-30-2011 04:15 AM

Check tie rods & wheel bearings for play

ProjectM96 06-16-2011 09:59 AM

I have the same problem. When I am driving 40mph+ and brake slightly hard, the steering shakes really bad.

At inspection, the mechanic said the car is fine. I got it checked by two mechanics.

But I know it is not supposed to be like that because I drove another Boxster and it did not have that problem.

ASpec818 06-16-2011 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john.conley
Does anyone know why my steering shakes when I brake,I replaced the front discs a short while ago and it seemed to have stoped but now its started again!my rear discs are badly pitted so will replace these,could the rear discs be part of the problem?

likely warped brakes. but you'd want to figure out why they're getting warped else you'll be throwing away cash

Topless 06-17-2011 06:00 AM

I had pretty bad steering judder under braking last year and it turned out to be worn, gummed up rotors from insufficient cool down after a track session. I replaced my pads and rotors and added 997 GT3 cooling ducts. So far, so good. Not properly bedding your brake pads can also cause brake judder by not getting an even coating of pad material on the rotors.

Is this a track car or daily driver? What pads are on the front?

ppbon 06-17-2011 06:20 AM

Generally when brakes shudder in a Boxster...

... it's one of two issues:

a) The rotor has pad transfer. When on the track, if you come back from a session and come to a complete stop while leaving the brake pedal pressed, the extreme heat from the pad/rotors will bond the two together. When you start moving the bond breaks, but there's a thin layer of pad material on the rotor. Next time you brake, every time the pads roll over the embedded material the brakes grab a little more, giving the brakes a shudder.

b) If one or more of the front end's suspension ball joints is badly worn, the shudder will be very marked (almost violent on the track)

I have NEVER seen a Boxster rotor warp.
Rotor warp is thrown around as if it a common thing.
Maybe on a Civic, but not on a Porsche.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

DFW02S 06-17-2011 06:22 AM

Before throwing money at the problem, try this.

When your brakes are reasonable cool, spray them with water.
Leave that on overnight.
In the morning take your car for a drive and work it so that your first braking opportunity is at 30 to 40 mph.
Then stab the brakes hard.
Repeat 2x.

Often times a micro layer of brake residue accumulates unevenly.
The water soaking on the rotors overnight will work through the tiny fissures in the rotor and get underneath the deposits, causing them to come off at hard braking.