986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Water Drip Pan Question (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/29078-water-drip-pan-question.html)

jmatta 05-29-2011 02:24 PM

Water Drip Pan Question

1 Attachment(s)
I was driving my '02 Box S back from Road America today, when I got caught in a hellacious downpour (my car NEVER sees rain). Upon getting it in the garage at home, I noticed a sloshing sound from behind my ears. Opening the clamshell, I was surprised to see my rear water drip pans quite full, though nothing leaked into the interior or under the seat. Further investigation, I found plugs (pictured) in the drain holes. I'll admit, I've never looked that deep or noticed these before because the car does not see water, only the occasional "bath". As soon as I pulled the "plugs", all the water drained out under the car, as it should.

I'd appreciate anyone's comments on why these were plugging the drains and why they would have been placed there?

Jager 05-29-2011 02:34 PM

Reminds me of a problem a friend of mine had when he took his new Dodge pickup in to the dealer for a transmission problem. The service department found plugs in the transmission cooling lines. Apparently the factory uses plugs on the lines to prevent debris from entering during assembly. Of course one of the steps during assembly is to remove the plugs!

J Tinsby 05-30-2011 07:02 AM

Those plugs...

I may be mistaken but they look very much like the plugs that are placed in the hardtop mounting holes from the factory. To put in the Spin-Loks for the hardtop those need to be taken out.

If that's what they are it looks like someone took them out of the holes and dropped them down into the area where the drains are.

At least you got them before everything really got wet!

Good catch! :D

jmatta 05-30-2011 07:54 AM

Thanks for the response...I'm going to open the clamshell and take a look around. Not sure who would have placed them where they did, but I'm glad I did not have an issue; car's never had a hardtop installed

jaykay 05-30-2011 09:49 AM

I was in my engine bay last week and notice the same plugs in my drain holes. This is unlikely to be a coincidence. I am thinking they are suppose to be there to keep the holes from becoming fouled with debris. Then they are supposed to rise and float up when water is present. One could test this out. I myself pulled the thing out and tossed it as I don't want it sticking and holding water

Mark_T 05-30-2011 11:28 AM

Mr Tinsby is correct - they are the plugs for the holes where the spinlocks would go.

This is the third time on this forum that I've seen this issue of finding them in the drain holes. No, they do not float up when the drain pan fills with water, as jmatta found out. This could have been disastrous if the water had overflowed into your cabin and soaked the alarm unit under your seat.

I'd love to know how these plugs keep finding their way into the drain holes. I'm at work now, but when I get home I'll post a screen cap from the parts catalog showing where they are supposed to fit.

Jaykay, hopefully you can retrieve the part from the garbage and install it where it's supposed to go. :D

Mark_T 05-30-2011 11:54 AM

Part # 21:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/oshikuru/plug.jpg

jaykay 05-30-2011 03:47 PM

I had no idea ....looks like i need a parts catalog to keep from putting my foot in my mouth. Okay hopefully I am okay with my naked spinlocks...please let me know if really need these

Mark_T 05-30-2011 03:57 PM

You don't need them - their function is purely cosmetic